WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Concerned about cold weather on thru-hike

Hello!
    I am almost certain 2015 is the year for me to hike the AT. I am in my planning stages now. What I am wondering is what one would recommend as the best route and month to begin a hike to avoid the cold weather (some of it at least!)? From what I have gathered, I am under the impression that a flip-flop hike would be the best in that regard? The cold is my biggest fear for hiking the AT because I plan on hiking solo and am extremely susceptible to the cold. Hypothermia is a realistic concern. I have what is called "Raynaud's disease" - nothing ridiculous but I tend to pretty much always have cold hands, feet, and nose. The movement of hiking will definitely help though. Any information or input is appreciated
    Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by wateryearth View Post
    Hello!
    I am almost certain 2015 is the year for me to hike the AT. I am in my planning stages now. What I am wondering is what one would recommend as the best route and month to begin a hike to avoid the cold weather (some of it at least!)? From what I have gathered, I am under the impression that a flip-flop hike would be the best in that regard? The cold is my biggest fear for hiking the AT because I plan on hiking solo and am extremely susceptible to the cold. Hypothermia is a realistic concern. I have what is called "Raynaud's disease" - nothing ridiculous but I tend to pretty much always have cold hands, feet, and nose. The movement of hiking will definitely help though. Any information or input is appreciated
    Georgia
    I am familiar with Raynaud's and saw a story this past year that said they were doing test/procedures where by you place your hand in ice water for a time period remove for a time period and repeat and were having pretty good success with it as far as desensitization...maybe worth a conversation with your Rhumatologist. Flip flop aught do it though. but I've never thru-hiked.

Hmmm. I get the desensitization idea for hands and feet, but what would you do with your nose - keep burying it in a frozen margarita?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Since you're open to a flip-flop and want to hike solo, here's my $.02: Start early April at Harpers Ferry, hike south to Springer. Then flip north to Katahdin and hike south, finishing at Harpers Ferry.

While HF is farther north than Springer, it's not necessarily colder because of the elevation differences. Georgia rises above 4,400' in many places and once you're in NC, you're hitting 5,000' and higher, especially in the Smokies. And by starting SOBO at HF, you'll meet less hikers and thus are more likely to get a place in shelters. Given your medical issue and given the East's propensity for rain, a shelter can make a big difference when you're ready to camp on a day of cold rain.

Furthermore, while I respect your sensitivity to the cold, as a resident of the arid west, the eastern summer humidity will kill you. All right, that's an exaggeration but trust me, you'll be very uncomfortable. By flipping to Katahdin in early-mid July, you'll experience mosquitoes (maybe black flies for a while) and stream fords but the days and especially the nights will be more pleasant. Maine and NH are the toughest parts of the AT but having hiked 1,000 miles already, you'll be in good shape. Under this plan, you're hitting Southern New England and the mid-Atlantic in early fall.

Oh, HF is a good location for logistics because you can fly to DC and take the train there.

click this
    consider like the starting in like late April or May in Harpers Ferry. Hike north, figure out when you want to finish in the late fall at Springer....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Start in march, buy lots of down, gloves beanie jacket etc youll be fine
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The ATC web page lists several alternate itineraries.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

I have not done this one, but may someday as I always thought it sounded attractive. It is what they call the Head-Start Hike. With this you start at Harper's Ferry and hike north to Katahdin. Then you go back to HF and hike south to Springer. Since the trail north of WV is at the lowest elevation, and still not too far north, it will be relatively warm in spring. If you time it right, you get to ME in summer (avoiding the heat and humidity of the mid-atlantic states in the summer). Then you finish hiking south with Fall, with luck, finishing before winter set in.

Images

If you can already be in hiking shape, start at Springer on May 1. You have 5 months (with 2 week buffer) to reach Katahdin. Depending upon when you get to Harper's Ferry you can figure out if you have enough time to reach Katahdin before it closes. If not, do a flip flop from Katahdin back to Harper's Ferry. This is my plan. You avoid alot of cold and snowy weather this way.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Check on No Big Deal's journal on trail journals. He's doing a Harper's to Katahdin then Harper's to Springer. He's finished then northern half. Last time I read his journal he was meeting up with his wife in Damascus I think. Nice guy.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

A flip and a flop. A flop and a flip. Then, I'd best guess you'll be dealing with heat and humidity east coast fashion during some timeframe.

Trouble with a flip hike is you may end up with cold in the autumn. I would start in mid-April and hike north. Unless you are injured, you should be able to finish before the end of September.

I have had issues in the past with Reynauds and hypothermia, but neither was much of a problem on the AT. I started both my thruhikes April 1, and had only a few really cold days/nights. I had snow in the Smokies and near Damascus, but it wasn't a problem. My problem came from all day drizzle and not being smart enough to put on warmer clothes and raingear as soon as the rain started. By the time I felt cold, my hands wouldn't work and I couldn't get my pack off. I kept hiking until I ran into someone who was able to help me out. On the AT, that isn't usually very long. If you know you have issues, hike with someone on the cold/wet days. But don't worry about it too much. If you know the signs of hypothermia and how to deal with it, and act quickly to prevent it you should be fine.

I hate the cold, I can buy the warmest boots on the market and wear electric socks and my feet still get cold. I heard this coming winter as far as temps will be normal but supposedly we are supposed to get a lot of snow. As long as its not another polar vortex, I will be fine. Instead of hiking solo, wouldn't u look for a partner or someone starting close to the same date as you and hike in a group? I would feel better knowingly there are ppl around if in case u have to deal with rain and slight cold nights.

It's a justifiable concern. I've seen freezing weather on the AT in most months, especially April-May and often in Sept-Oct. Don't under pack when it comes to warm clothes. Last trip, in VA in May, I decided to send my down sweater home, then froze miserably for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Since you're open to a flip-flop and want to hike solo, here's my $.02: Start early April at Harpers Ferry, hike south to Springer. Then flip north to Katahdin and hike south, finishing at Harpers Ferry.

While HF is farther north than Springer, it's not necessarily colder because of the elevation differences. Georgia rises above 4,400' in many places and once you're in NC, you're hitting 5,000' and higher, especially in the Smokies. And by starting SOBO at HF, you'll meet less hikers and thus are more likely to get a place in shelters. Given your medical issue and given the East's propensity for rain, a shelter can make a big difference when you're ready to camp on a day of cold rain.

Furthermore, while I respect your sensitivity to the cold, as a resident of the arid west, the eastern summer humidity will kill you. All right, that's an exaggeration but trust me, you'll be very uncomfortable. By flipping to Katahdin in early-mid July, you'll experience mosquitoes (maybe black flies for a while) and stream fords but the days and especially the nights will be more pleasant. Maine and NH are the toughest parts of the AT but having hiked 1,000 miles already, you'll be in good shape. Under this plan, you're hitting Southern New England and the mid-Atlantic in early fall.

Oh, HF is a good location for logistics because you can fly to DC and take the train there.
    This is the hike I am doing. I am starting on or about April 17th. I choose this route for the very reasons decribed in the about post.

Some company might be good.
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

I like Cookerhiker's suggestion. In fact, that's one option I've never thought of before and it could rival my plan of hiking SOBO from Kathadin to Springer (when I eventually thru hike the AT) for a few reasons: (1) More daylight to work with since the hike would be from April-September rather than July-November; (2) less people on trail most of the time, but still get to interact with NOBO thrus, maybe even the same people twice!; (3) Less risk of getting bogged down in winter weather down south if the hike extends too far into November.

I will say however that I think it will be pretty cold at times heading from HF south starting early April, especially in SNP. I remember my water bottles freezing pretty solid on the first night of my northbound section hike when I camped in the south district of SNP. This was on April 16. And my hands and feet were often quite cold early in the mornings on that hike until I warmed up.

But I'm sure that experience would be nothing at all in comparison to being too late getting south and freezing in the Smokies or other higher elevation places ...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start Good read but pay attention to Cool Breeze thoughts. He seems to have a good idea for best weather. Good luck with your hike

++ New Posts ++