WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default In search of large shoes...

I wear a men's size 16 (narrow) and have trouble finding regular shoes, but it seems impossible to find anything in the way of a trail runner or hiking boot. I've been searching for quite a while, and the only things I've found are either $300+ Lowa boots or cheap running shoes that clearly aren't made for long-distance hiking. Does anyone out there have a similar problem and a potential solution? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

...you rang

Sounds like you may be a perfect candidate for barefoot hikin' Seriously, didn't know they even made shoes that big? what do you usually wear around town?

I'm pretty much limited to shoes made for basketball players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I'm pretty much limited to shoes made for basketball players.
    ah, now there's some big footed boys...I guess customs like Limmers are outta the question? $$$

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ah, now there's some big footed boys...I guess customs like Limmers are outta the question? $$$
    http://www.limmerboot.com/Midweight.html

I use New Balance 1569 hiking "boots" (they are really based on a sneaker last), size 15 / 6E. They have narrow size also. Gortex lined, anti-twist and protected foot-bed.

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-bal...wn#color=Brown

Designed for the trail, they hold up OK. They do wear out after a few hundred miles. Sometimes sizes go in and out of stock.

Thanks everyone, I didn't even know those Limmers existed...a bit outta my price range, but maybe someday. I'll keep an eye out for those New Balances to come in 16's....at the moment the largest they have is 15, but it's pretty amazing that they come in narrow widths. Normally they assume the larger the size, the wider the foot.

Magneto, in looking around on the NB website, I actually found the "Dunham Clouds" in my size/narrow width. I think I'll try them out, thanks for pointing me in that direction!

I recently ordered a pair of custom Trail Runners from these guys: http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/

When I visited their shop he showed me a shoe they made for one of the guys with the biggest feet on Earth. Size 26 I think it was? You certainly won't be a challenge for them! Pricey ($170 to have a last built, then $270 for the pair of shoes) but you can have them periodically resoled for $70/pair to extend the life of the shoe supposedly well into the 1000-1500 mile range. I plan to take them on a thru-hike next season and will certainly be reviewing them on here.

Nice! I can't even imagine what a size 26 would look like...poor guy.

I look forward to the review!

I came here to mention New Balance. They're one of the only company to offer most of their models in different widths, which leads me to think they would also offer a wide range of sizes. Glad you found something that might work!

Journal Entries

Hello Fellow Monster Foot,

I had an ad on here a couple of months ago with some large boots - a pair of Lowa Renegades that I put about 100 miles on during my Colorado Trail thru-hike - they are in very good condition, and if they would have been a bit longer they would have worked great (I have to admit to myself now that I am closer to a size 17 than a 16). The Lowa's run a bit narrow.

I also have a pair of unworn Dunham Clouds 16N.

I would make you a good deal for either or both.

I have been wearing Columbia shoes - they make 16s and 17s. They are just okay.

I would KILL for a pair of Merrell Moabs in a 17!

I feel your PAIN!

http://www.altrarunning.com/

They stop at 15, BUT, because of the foot shaped toe box you may be able to fit in them.
    They are still a mostly "cottage" company and may be able to get a larger shoe upon request.

Thanks guys! I too have a pair of Dunham Clouds in 16N, Paddlefoot...how do the Lowa's compare, fit-wise? I might be interested in those as a winter option.

++ New Posts ++