WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Perhaps I should stop hiking and/or getting out into the woods?

Since the beginning of the season, many unfortunate things have happened during my outings this year:
    --Backpacking in the Snowies, I forgot my headlamp at the trailhead, lost my stove bag to the local wildlife, had low fuel in my stove bottle, fell in an ice cave and badly scraped up one leg, completely lost the trail and had to find my own way back to the road--successfully!
    --First trip to Glacier, my scooter began stalling.
    --First overnight scooter tour with new girlfriend, I lost my wallet.
    --2nd visit to Glacier the weather turned from good to bad to worse, the pass was fogged in, girlfriend suffered hospital injuries, the attachment straps on the scooter side bags completely ripped out, we lost a set of keys for over an hour(they were found to be in my GF's pants pocket the whole time), the scooter fell over w/o any warning while I was attempting a turn, AND the muffler completely fell off 70 miles from home.
    --We camped on a butte south of town and woke up to the tent collapsed onto us and then returned to the car only to discover I had a flat tire.
    --Lastly, we camped in the Little Belts south of Great Falls. I discovered I'd grabbed a solo tent for the 2 of us to sleep in(very uncomfortable night of sleep for me), the stove valve broke(so dinner was cooked on a fire), we forgot my GF's riding jacket, the scooter completely stalled 50 miles from our campsite, and lastly, the car hit a deer on the way to retrieve the scooter. Then to top it all off, after limping back home the entire 160 miles, some idiot pulled out into an intersection and we just about broadsided him only 8 blocks from my front door.
    Perhaps it's the end of the season for outdoor adventures this year?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Since the beginning of the season, many unfortunate things have happened during my outings this year:
    --Backpacking in the Snowies, I forgot my headlamp at the trailhead, lost my stove bag to the local wildlife, had low fuel in my stove bottle, fell in an ice cave and badly scraped up one leg, completely lost the trail and had to find my own way back to the road--successfully!
    --2nd visit to Glacier the weather turned from good to bad to worse, the pass was fogged in, girlfriend suffered hospital injuries, the attachment straps on the scooter side bags completely ripped out, we lost a set of keys for over an hour(they were found to be in my GF's pants pocket the whole time), the scooter fell over w/o any warning while I was attempting a turn, AND the muffler completely fell off 70 miles from home.
    --We camped on a butte south of town and woke up to the tent collapsed onto us and then returned to the car only to discover I had a flat tire.
    --Lastly, we camped in the Little Belts south of Great Falls. I discovered I'd grabbed a solo tent for the 2 of us to sleep in(very uncomfortable night of sleep for me), the stove valve broke(so dinner was cooked on a fire), we forgot my GF's riding jacket, the scooter completely stalled 50 miles from our campsite, and lastly, the car hit a deer on the way to retrieve the scooter. Then to top it all off, after limping back home the entire 160 miles, some idiot pulled out into an intersection and we just about broadsided him only 8 blocks from my front door.
    Sounds like you need a LONG WALK.

Images

"Sounds like you need a LONG WALK"

More than you know!!! Already planning 1000 mile walk of the Ice Age Trail, then Superior Trail after that.

I'm reminded of the owner of White House Landing, who liked to say that he did not hike because he preferred to avoid "prolonged misery". We just laughed because we knew that doesn't happen to everybody.

Somewhere in there is a couple a trail names ...could it get much worse?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Somewhere in there is a couple a trail names ...could it get much worse?
    Yep, such is life, sometimes up and sometimes down. Nothing lasts forever either way

Journal Entries

If there's a given amount of bad karma blowing around, THANK YOU for taking more than your share. Maybe the rest of us can worry less.

my grandfather used to say the difference of a catastrophe and an adventure is your attitude, sounds like you have had one heck of an adventure!

RUNT ''13''

Journal Entries

Its all the scooter's fault. The rest is called Adventure.

Journal Entries
    Images

All I have to say is that thru is going to be interesting. You can always take a break.

Your last name wouldn't happen to be "Murphy"??

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    my grandfather used to say the difference of a catastrophe and an adventure is your attitude, sounds like you have had one heck of an adventure!
    G. K. Chesterton once said that adventures are called inconveniences when you are having one.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

great trips otherwise, many adventures 99% of peeps don't even think about....

Images

I seem to recall a new girlfriend posting here asking about hiking as a couple, using your ID, and everybody told her, "hey, no worries, DS is a pro and everything will be fine."

Or was that somebody else?

Anyway, everything will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If your girlfriend is still with you after all that, then she is a keeper.

Sounds to me like you used up years worth of bad luck in one trip. Now you can be fearless.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

..... and answers to the name, "Lucky" ......

You're not doing the AT next year are you? I might hike behind you to stay safe and healthy. LOL
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    If your girlfriend is still with you after all that, then she is a keeper.
    Yes, still attached and she can't wait for our next hike and/or outing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    You're not doing the AT next year are you? I might hike behind you to stay safe and healthy. LOL
    Plan to do another AT thru in a few years. Use up all the bad karma before then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++