WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Excess alchol

Default Excess alchol

I usually fill up my alcohol bottle before my trips, or bring a canister that weighs out to more than my calculated need for my trips. But I haven't ever had to refill while "away", such on a thru hike.

I know you can buy denatured alcohol at hardware stores, but it usually comes in 32oz cans. Heet comes in 12oz bottles. And 91% isopropyl alcohol comes in 16oz bottles at the pharmacy. I only have a 250ml fuel bottle, which is about 8.5oz. Assuming you have a 12 or even 16oz bottle for fuel, say you roll into a town with a few ounces left in your gear (12oz would last me about 6 days and I am calculating resupplying every 3-5 days). Seems like whatever you buy, you have extra fuel. So you'd likely just, what?... pour the extra down a toilet?

Preemptive second question:
    Why don't people just carry their alcohol in the bottle it comes in (like the HEET bottle?)

Many outfitters and hostels sell denatured alcohol by the ounce, so you can just buy what you need.

At the end of my section hikes, if I have any alcohol left, I usually offer it to other hikers so I don't have to travel with it.

People don't carry the HEET bottle because most people don't carry 12 oz. of fuel. A smaller bottle takes less space. Also, many bottles that people use either are clear enough to see through or have ounce calibrations (or both), allowing you to gauge the amount of fuel remaining.

I usually drink my alcholol.

That'll make ya blind you know... the alcohol I mean.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    That'll make ya blind you know... the alcohol I mean.
    I think he means he uses Ethanol, i.e. Everclear.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyFeet View Post
    Preemptive second question:
    Why don't people just carry their alcohol in the bottle it comes in (like the HEET bottle?)
    Plenty of people carry HEET bottles. There are flip-tops sold to fit them too.

But denatured alcohol comes in quart cans usually, and Everclear comes in 750 ml glass bottles. Neither is practicle to carry on the trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-13-2014 at 21:35.

Journal Entries
    Images

May your trail be all down hill.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    May your trail be all down hill.
    Depending on the condition of your knees, those words could be either a blessing or a curse...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I carry my HEET in a 16.9 oz bottled water bottle. These are light and nearly indestructible. I can time refills close enough that I rarely have any left over, but it is easy to give away if there is any left. I probably don't have to leave town with up to 16 oz of fuel, but I'd rather have too much then too little.

BTW, you can always find yellow HEET at NAPA auto parts stores and nearly every town has one close by.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I usually drink my alcholol.
    I really don't like poisonous methanol for fuel and it seems to be creeping up in volume in many of the mixed ethanol/methanol sources at hardware stores, etc. At one point I found a real bargain on line for Everclear and bought a huge stash that I've been using for shorter trips. But that outlet nearly doubled their price and it's now just too expensive everywhere. Lab ethanol has also gone up in price and many suppliers are asking for professional credentials to buy it.

Seems like carrying a little extra (and having a light weight cushion in case you get stuck for an extra night between resupplies)is a better plan than carrying just enough.

Check hiker boxes before you purchase.

If you purchase, deposit any extra in hiker boxes
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I really don't like poisonous methanol for fuel and it seems to be creeping up in volume in many of the mixed ethanol/methanol sources at hardware stores, etc. At one point I found a real bargain on line for Everclear and bought a huge stash that I've been using for shorter trips. But that outlet nearly doubled their price and it's now just too expensive everywhere. Lab ethanol has also gone up in price and many suppliers are asking for professional credentials to buy it.
    The dose makes the poison. I actually prefer the methanol, or the methanol/ethanol mixes, for the lower flash point, since I hike a lot in "shoulder season". Spilt ethanol will ruin gear just as fast as spilt methanol, so don't do that. Burnt in a stove, they're about equally clean - and the CO rather than unburnt MeOH is the big hazard in the fumes.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

an empty Heet bottle weighs about nothin'...hang on to it till ya come to a trash can...no biggie.

Share with friends, Carry Extra, Use some to make Hard Boiled Eggs in the grocery store parking lot, leave in a hiker box.

If you ever absolutely can't stand to ever carry the extra few oz then use it as a firestarter and have yourself a nice campfire.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think he means he uses Ethanol, i.e. Everclear.

Plenty of people carry HEET bottles. There are flip-tops sold to fit them too.

But denatured alcohol comes in quart cans usually, and Everclear comes in 750 ml glass bottles. Neither is practicle to carry on the trail.
    Couldn't you just empty the ever clear into a plastic bottle? Of course, that's an expensive way to cook... I think I'd rather just buy the little bottle of HEET. Maybe someone could find you some untaxed spirits along the way? Hahaha. Much cheaper to cook with, albeit more dangerous to acquire fuel.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Couldn't you just empty the ever clear into a plastic bottle? Of course, that's an expensive way to cook... I think I'd rather just buy the little bottle of HEET. Maybe someone could find you some untaxed spirits along the way? Hahaha. Much cheaper to cook with, albeit more dangerous to acquire fuel.
    I think I'd rather pay a tax than buy some strangers bath tub gin.

Default avoiding methonol

SLX and Kleen Strip both make "green" denatured alcohol that is 85-90% ethanol. Lowes carries it. One quart cans. Decant to smaller bottles from your at home stash for short trips. Ethanol has more BTUs than methanol, but has a higher flash point making it somewhat harder to light in cold weather.

When resupplying on a long section, look for a denatured brand that says "suitable for marine stoves".

Quote Originally Posted by TrilliumTrekker View Post
    SLX and Kleen Strip both make "green" denatured alcohol that is 85-90% ethanol. Lowes carries it. One quart cans. Decant to smaller bottles from your at home stash for short trips. Ethanol has more BTUs than methanol, but has a higher flash point making it somewhat harder to light in cold weather.

When resupplying on a long section, look for a denatured brand that says "suitable for marine stoves".
    This is what I use as well.

++ New Posts ++