WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

yeah. like you've found out. 1 month is more than enough time. 2 weeks is fine. no one is going to trash you for that. and waiting until after bonuses are announced is standard practice among most retirees and folks looking for a job. i know this because i worked in it recruiting for the 5 years preceding my hike and my phone would go banana's in february. all of a sudden everyone knows a guy i helped find a job and they're all looking to make a move.

in that 5 years i can't remember a single person getting stuck with a bad deal because their new job wants them in 2 weeks and their old job thought that wasn't enough time for a transition. people change jobs. people quit jobs. if a company can't figure out how to make a manageable transition in 10 working days they have bigger problems than you leaving. like you said, you've already moved up into your old boss's job in what was at the time probably a quick fix to their departure or promotion. i'm telling you, i hired help desk guys through lead developers and up to the CTO level at a hospital (a notoriously slow business to hire for) and no one balked at giving their current jobs 2 weeks if that's what their next employer wanted....and like i said, no one (that i can remember) got burned for that.

but it sounds like you've got your dates figured out. it feels great, doesn't it? i'm just going to leave this here because i'm sure it's a question that a lot of hikers will be working with over the next few months.

I told my employer on 12/1 that my last day was going to be 12/26. That's plenty of time for them to find a replacement, train them, and to start transferring the work load. Now, it's their choice from that point on. A 2 week notice is considered professional, and is about what people give. Anything over that is just being generous, and is optional. I gave more notice in hopes of getting people on my good side so I can get rehired when we return. Looks good so for since my employer is NOT going to hire a replacement for my position.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    That's plenty of time for them to find a replacement, train them, and to start transferring the work load.
    That is very job-dependent. I had an individual contributor position on my team open for 7 months and only got 1 resume worthy of an interview. I eventually gave up and changed my approach to filling the position. If there is someone waiting in the wings then sure a month is enough time to get them up to speed. The whole finding someone part can take a while, especially if they are external (remember, they would have to give notice at their job).

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    That is very job-dependent. I had an individual contributor position on my team open for 7 months and only got 1 resume worthy of an interview. I eventually gave up and changed my approach to filling the position. If there is someone waiting in the wings then sure a month is enough time to get them up to speed. The whole finding someone part can take a while, especially if they are external (remember, they would have to give notice at their job).
    You're right. A lot goes into replacing someone, and some positions are harder to file than others. I'm a senior purchasing manager, at least for the next week I am. Purchasing positions are easy to fill these days, but not finding someone to take over my position. Purchasing is the easy part. Finding someone with experience in manufacturing, MRP, DRP, cost analysis, and so is harder. Generally, positions that aren't as advanced tend to fill quicker. Higher level jobs usually take longer, but there are also fewer of those to fill.
    AT15
    OT15

Found out what my promotion, raise and bonus are today. They're all good and I have no complaints but they're not enough to sway me. I feel a little bad because my boss is talking about positioning me for the next promotion, how I'm well positioned in terms of salary in relation to mid point to get more raises, what my bonus should do in the coming years as a result of promotions, etc.... It will be a little less than a month before I tell her my plan but I am now at the point where there aren't really any questions left and I don't really "need" anything else from my company.

I guess the only wildcard at this point would be a counter offer.

Found out what my promotion, raise and bonus are today. They're all good and I have no complaints but they're not enough to sway me. I feel a little bad because my boss is talking about positioning me for the next promotion, how I'm well positioned in terms of salary in relation to mid point to get more raises, what my bonus should do in the coming years as a result of promotions, etc.... It will be a little less than a month before I tell her my plan but I am now at the point where there aren't really any questions left and I don't really "need" anything else from my company.

I guess the only wildcard at this point would be a counter offer.

From what I've read, it seems that the company values you. If they are betting on your advancement, play your cards. How about asking for an (unpaid) leave of absence? Worst case scenario, you will be in the same place where you currently are. This has worked for me before (large corporate setting).

The only thing I don't like about the leave of absence approach is that there is an implication that I'm coming back. If I do a leave of absence, then decide not to come back, it's 5-6 months that they've been sitting around waiting when they could have been out recruiting. That could leave a bad taste in their mouth and I want to try not to burn any bridges.

My two cents - Obviously they think highly of you and sounds like you have a good boss. Everyone deserves a fair deal. You've got your bonuses & stock now, yes? Give them a longer notice than just two weeks if you can. You never know where life may take you or them. Maybe 10 years from now your small business bites the dust and you need to ask for a favor from someone.

Ryan

P.S. - Good luck on your thru!

Ryan

The only thing I don't like about the leave of absence approach is that there is an implication that I'm coming back. If I do a leave of absence, then decide not to come back, it's 5-6 months that they've been sitting around waiting when they could have been out recruiting. That could leave a bad taste in their mouth and I want to try not to burn any bridges.
    at my company they do not guarantee your job when you return from an extended leave of absence. sort of goes both ways.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I opted not to do a LOA for that reason. Didn't want to tie any hands (or FTEs). If they value me as much as they say they do they find something when I get back if
    i chose to go back.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

In my experience, most large companies do not look highly upon extended LOAs, unless they are for medical reasons (and even then, they're often given begrudgingly).

In addition, if a company learns it can operate leaner and with little no penalty without an employee, it's not likely to keep/rehire that employee.

Images

Get your bonus - it is earned and you deserve it.

4 weeks notice is more than enough, and is the right thing to do if they need or want you there for the transition.

They might also say thanks, no 2-4 weeks needed, have a nice hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    My two cents - Obviously they think highly of you and sounds like you have a good boss. Everyone deserves a fair deal. You've got your bonuses & stock now, yes? Give them a longer notice than just two weeks if you can. You never know where life may take you or them. Maybe 10 years from now your small business bites the dust and you need to ask for a favor from someone.

Ryan
    Planning to give a month's notice, maybe even a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    P.S. - Good luck on your thru!

Ryan
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jawnzee View Post
    at my company they do not guarantee your job when you return from an extended leave of absence. sort of goes both ways.
    How is that different than quitting? Why do they bother to call it a leave of absence?

Journal Entries

Your employers innability to backfill your position, if you are quitting, is not your problem.

If they value your presence, they will pay you enough so that you dont leave.

If you are taking a leave of abscence and planning to return, then you have an understandable vested interest.

How is that different than quitting? Why do they bother to call it a leave of absence?
    It really depends on the position level and complexity. Some jobs only require the courtesy of a 2- week notice, which the company decides when you exit during that period of time. For professional positions or critical jobs like project manager that may have multiple project lines working and complex timelines, a far longer notice is typically needed. Those types of situations are usually known by the people that occupy the positions to begin with.

The LOA is a means for the company to avoid a re-hiring process should the employee return. This allows benefits and other remuneration to pick up where they left off without requiring a wait period, probationary issues, required training, and other issues. No company will allow a critical position to go unfilled, which is why most organizations cannot guarantee the same job on return. However, a critical position employee on a LOA allows the company to assess the replacement employee under a known time table and provides some options if the new person isn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    The LOA is a means for the company to avoid a re-hiring process should the employee return. This allows benefits and other remuneration to pick up where they left off without requiring a wait period, probationary issues, required training, and other issues. No company will allow a critical position to go unfilled, which is why most organizations cannot guarantee the same job on return. However, a critical position employee on a LOA allows the company to assess the replacement employee under a known time table and provides some options if the new person isn't working out.
    That makes sense

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++