WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default HOOAH! Energy Bar

Does anyone have experience with the HOOAH! energy bar? Have read some good reviews about them. Hey, Sgt. Rock, as a soldier, what is your experience with these?

My cousin is in the National Guard, and he got us a box of them once. I don't recall the flavors, but do remember that we ate them all. I liked them, and I heard no complaints from my fam.

Images

I only ever got one once back in '95. I can't remember much about it other than it tasted good compared to MREs.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I just saw some of these on Ebay....
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Default USAF behind the times

I was still in the USAF back in 1995 and we never even heard of these things. We were still eating the "John Wayne Cookies" packed in the MREs. I would like to find some of the MRE Bread Ration that came in its own foil package. I think they would make good bread for the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I only ever got one once back in '95. I can't remember much about it other than it tasted good compared to MREs.

Images

Well in 1995 I attended the AUSA convention at D.C. and they were given to everyone at a presentation from some group, I think it was the Soldier Center which is the Army center that develops new gear, chow, clothing, etc. It was the meeting where I also first saw the IBA I never got until 2002.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Teatime, tehse folks carry the seperate MRE components but appear to be out of the bread and crackers:http://www.longlifefood.com/

Why not go all the way? Genuine Civil War style MREs!
    http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm

Images

Default A former re-enactor

No thanks! I used to be a CW re-enactor and had enough hardtack back in those days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Why not go all the way? Genuine Civil War style MREs!
    http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm

Images

I have often wonder about the use of pemmican as a light high-energy bar for hiking food.

The original used by Indians and trappers combined jerky, dry berries and lots of suet. I have made a modern version combining dry meat, raisins and other dried fruit, sunflower seeds and/or peanuts and using apple sauce as a binder rather than the suet. (I think some canola or safflower oil added to the mix would raise the fat content nicely.) You grind the mixture together. An old-fashioned meat grider works good for this. Spread it out on baking parchment about a half-inch thick and let it dry in the oven until semisoft at about 125 degrees. You can cut the bars and wrap them in plastic and foil. It works good to freeze them until needed. The tase is sweet and salty.

Most of the energy bars I've seen contain oatmeal and that gives me a bad reaction (nuf said).
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

I don't know about using apple sauce in lieu of fat. Wouldn't that drastically cut the calorie content. Taking out the energy would sort of defeat the point of a lightweight energy food.

Images

Very true. Probably for trail food a vegitable shortening or other substutute for suet would be advisable.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Images

Aaaah Hell !!!!! We didn't need no damn Candy Bars when I was in the army, TROOPER; Just suck up some of that C-Ration instant Coffee and smoke down a couple of those c-ration 5packs of cigarrettes and TOUGH IT OUT TROOPER!!!!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Default Hooah Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    Does anyone have experience with the HOOAH! energy bar? Have read some good reviews about them. Hey, Sgt. Rock, as a soldier, what is your experience with these?
    Teatime - Along with backpacking I also enjoy long distance running and as such have tried just about all the major "energy bars" at one time or another. I am active duty Army, but had not tried to the HOOAH bar until a couple of weeks ago. I ate the apple cinnamon flavored one as part of my pre race breakfast before running in the Army Ten miler. I really like this bar. The taste and texture are good. Also, you do not feel like your jaws are working over time to eat the thing. At the end of the race I was not running on an empty tanK, so I believe it (along with good water stops) did it's job. Usally I throw in a couple of Power Bars for a weekend backpacking trip. I will be using the HOOAH bars for backpacking the next time I go out.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Does anybody remember the old K rations that came in cans? They were allegedly leftover Korean War issue, and they were still giving them out into the eightys in the NG. ( !) Besides a main dish, ( like cans of beef or pork patties in gravy ), there would be a can that had an envelope of Cocoa Beverage powder and crackers crammed neatly inside. The crackers were especially good.
    You also might get a can which contained an individual fruit cake. It was the only fruit cake I ever liked, I think they used raisins and other dried fruit, rather than citrons and candied fruit.
    You also got five cigarettes, matches, gum, and toilet paper. The cans were all olive drab, with indistinct black lettering on the top.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe
    Does anybody remember the old K rations that came in cans? They were allegedly leftover Korean War issue, and they were still giving them out into the eightys in the NG. ( !) Besides a main dish, ( like cans of beef or pork patties in gravy ), there would be a can that had an envelope of Cocoa Beverage powder and crackers crammed neatly inside. The crackers were especially good.
    You also might get a can which contained an individual fruit cake. It was the only fruit cake I ever liked, I think they used raisins and other dried fruit, rather than citrons and candied fruit.
    You also got five cigarettes, matches, gum, and toilet paper. The cans were all olive drab, with indistinct black lettering on the top.
    You've described several C-rat delicacies, I don't know the diff between C- and K-. No matches or cigs in the C's, but there was Chicklet gum and a tiny pack of toilet paper. Everyone smart (...or at least experienced...) stashed a real roll of TP in their duffle.

The cocoa powder combined with a couple creamer packets and the juice from the can of fruit cocktail made a gritty 'pudding'. A couple of the creamers, some sugar, a sprinkle of the instant coffee and a couple drops of water made icing for the fruit cake.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    No, but I need all the energy I can get.

Images

WE called them C-rations in the 70's. We used'em in during maneuvres in the field, but they were always around when I was in later stationed in Germany.

We got the 5-packs of smokes - Ether Marlboros, Winstons or Kools, I don;t remember any other brand, but we were always trading off, the blacks smoked Kools, while the whites smoked Marlbor or Winston.
    We also had the tiny rolls of toilet paper and the instnat coffee with a creamer and a sugar and a double chiclet. Also I remember the little green heavy duty foil squeeze pouches of processed cheese or peanut butter as well as those very hard pilot crackers.
    We used to put the cans of chicken or beef stew on the jeep manifold to cook (along with our mugs of hot water for coffee.)
    Aaaah... the good old days.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

anybody remember how to make ranger cookies? we used to amuse ourselves when we were snowed in during ops in korea. lets see...first you take the creamer out of the mre accesory package....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++