WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

One other thing about the Olicamp pot, if you are a real gram weenie, you can swap out the rubber coated SS wire handles (which are very stout), with lighter DIY wire handles. I made some from a clothes hanger. Saves maybe up to an oz. The handles pop on and off easily with no tools, damage, or modifications necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I just experimented with a 1L steel cook pot I have in my house. Boiled three cups of water. 2 for some pasta and one for a cup of coffee. I definitely feel like it would be too small to actually cook in. Just enough volume to get by, but not convenient. It would be hard to stir and the pot would always be filled to the brim at the start of cooking. And by that I mean, a good portion of pasta needs more than two cups of h20 to cook it properly. On the other hand, by incorpartiong a pot cozy such as Just Bill is suggesting then the pot would be sufficient in volume to make really just about anything. Unfortunately, I want the option of doing full cooking in the pot. I think the 1.3L is still going to serve me better. I can make generous portions of food easily, melt decent amounts of snow, cook for two if need be, all hassle free.

I'm not completely concerned about conserving fuel because I want to get into wood burning. Those are the instances I will prob do most of my "real" cooking. If I'm using my alcohol, I'll prob be boiling a little water for FBC or just simple 2 cup meals. With wood burning, I don't care about how much fuel/water I use. But I love the option.

I should note, my cooking isn't setup for JUST an AT thru-hike per say. If I was doing a thru-hike, my approach would be similar, but i would probably simplify my meals more. On overnights and such, I would lug up real food and cook in pot over a wood burner. On a thru, I would probably still cook over a fire sparingly. But I like having the option to do so.

I'm ranting a little and don't know if I fell off subject, but by testing out my 1L pot I have in my kitchen to cook a meal. I made some observations.

I can cook in it. I made a pot of pasta with sauce and Parmesan cheese. Easily ate all the pasta and I'm not even hiker hungry. But it was a MEAL.

I almost max'd out its volume for REAL cooking with something I consider a normal meal. Sometimes I like to eat more. So, that's a big negative for the 900ml. Not enough food can fit when I'm pigging out.

Cooking in my 1.3L is more convenient when it comes to stirring, boil overs, adding more ingredients, experimenting with different foods.

It's going to take some refining to make a 900ml pot work. I don't like that when it comes to food, I like to be flexible in my diet and have alot of options rather than FBC and boil in bag methods.

I can do everything I need in the 1.3L but not the other way around. In the 1.3L I can use 3-4 cups to cook with, and still have plenty of room for extra fluid for a hot drink. This may sound crazy to some of you to use 3-4 cups for dinner. But that's what it takes to properly cook a lot of pasta or rice.

For now, the 1.3L is just a tad too much volume. But when the hiker hunger kicks in, it would probably be perfect.

I still think Evernew would sell a lot of wide bottom 1.1L pots. Would be ideal for me.
    Sounds like you have got it mostly figured out. Since you like to cook, stick with 1.3. I've got two 900 ml pots and I generally go with the 900 as I pretty much always carry home dehydrated meals. I'm never cooking more than a ramen or a Lipton besides that. I may cook pasta in it once in a blue moon.

Something that I do to fill up for supper is that I have a little dinner and a big dinner. I might have ramen or other soup, mashed potatoes, maybe instant grits, or even a liptons as a first meal and then a dehydrated main meal. This always keeps me full. I also carry a titanium sierra cup for hot drinks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    How do you figure?
    The bag is just another step added instead of directly cooking the food in the pot. Yes it does not mess up the pot but each additional step away from the heat source does introduce inefficiencies.

The weight difference between the .9l and the 1.3l Evernew uncoated TI pot is 15 grams. If your unicorn 1.1L pot existed you would theoretically save 7.5 grams, but probably less. I wouldn't loose any sleep over committing to the 1.3L.

If that 7 grams is really killing you- cut the silicone wrap off the handle and use your bandana to grab the handles. You'll likely reach your goal.

Sounds though like you have discovered the reason most of own several cooksets...

for $30.00 that isn't a bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The weight difference between the .9l and the 1.3l Evernew uncoated TI pot is 15 grams. If your unicorn 1.1L pot existed you would theoretically save 7.5 grams, but probably less. I wouldn't loose any sleep over committing to the 1.3L.

If that 7 grams is really killing you- cut the silicone wrap off the handle and use your bandana to grab the handles. You'll likely reach your goal.

Sounds though like you have discovered the reason most of own several cooksets...
    I do notice how one accumulates multiple stove/pot setups. Cooking is such a huge variable on the trail. I don't know how people eat knorrs sides for dinner for 6 months straight. God bless them, I just can't do it.

I'm not that concerned about saving 15grams of weight. I just figured if I didn't need the extra volume, then theirs no reason not to take advantage of the weight/space savings in my pack, even if it's only a small amount. Every bit does add up.

As for now, I'm going to stick with my 1.3L. I'll probably buy a CC ti-tri sidewinder in the near future. Hunting season is coming around and that's when I do most of my "real" cooking when I camp. I'm not hiking 15-20 miles a day. I would love to be wood burning this fall with that system and cooking up some good eats.

I also already cut off those silicon handles covers a while ago. They were not useless but I figured they were gonna burn off or something sooner or later being used on a fire. I've never had a problem with the handles getting too hot to touch.

Thank you for your advice, you've given me some useful information during my time here on whiteblaze.

Just an FYI for those that don't know. You can take a cheap ace hardware blowtorch to a Ti pot and it will remove creosote and/or anything burnt solid to your pot.

I am curious if you could just stick it inside your over when you do a self clean cycle.

Who really "cooks" in a 900ml pot. Is it too small?

I've been fairly exclusively using a Snow Peak Mini Solo 28 oz(828 ml) pot for the past 8+ yrs on more than 25K trail miles. Plenty big enough for me.

I use an Evernew 0.9L pot (titanium only; no non-stick coating) to 'cook' solo meals. For me, cooking means boiling water, adding my food, stirring, and then putting the pot in a pot cozy made out of Reflectrix (you can make one from material from Home Depot or buy one ready made from Antigravitygear.com). I wait about 10-15 min while the food continues to 'cook' in the cozy. For example, if your recipe calls for 7 min simmer, just double the time in the pot cozy. Nothing gets burned to the bottom of the pot.

You can put a lot of food in a 0.9L pot. Add some olive oil & some sort of nut mix (equal parts cashews, almonds, & sunflower seeds ground up in a food processor) for extra taste & calories.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I use an Evernew 0.9L pot (titanium only; no non-stick coating) to 'cook' solo meals. For me, cooking means boiling water, adding my food, stirring, and then putting the pot in a pot cozy made out of Reflectrix (you can make one from material from Home Depot or buy one ready made from Antigravitygear.com). I wait about 10-15 min while the food continues to 'cook' in the cozy. For example, if your recipe calls for 7 min simmer, just double the time in the pot cozy. Nothing gets burned to the bottom of the pot.

You can put a lot of food in a 0.9L pot. Add some olive oil & some sort of nut mix (equal parts cashews, almonds, & sunflower seeds ground up in a food processor) for extra taste & calories.
    Exactly what I do.

Images

This will sound like heresy to the UL faction, but I actually take two Titanium pots, both the Evernew .9 (900 ml) and the 1.3 L.
    They nest together, and are worth the negligible weight.
    The 1.3 is used only for boiling a full liter of water, usually coffee for two people.

I cook only for myself in the .9
    Cooking and eating well is a big part of the camping experience for me. Almost all my meals are prepared from fresh groceries. I hate freeze dried, packaged commercial stuff (like Mountain House, Knors, etc.).

I cut up raw veggies, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, sun dried tomatoes, etc. and make stews and veg soups from scratch.
    Sometimes I soak dried beans in a zip-lock baggie all day then simmer for hours on a campfire.
    Other times I have real rice, real red beans, and mild Italian sausage. The rice and beans are made in the pot. The sausage is grilled on the Purcell Trench grill over coals.
    I've been cooking from scratch on a campfire for over 30 years. Now having stated the above, .....I just recently got an Excalibur dehydrator and am looking forward to experimenting.

Either way,......the .9 Evernew is plenty big enough for me.
    Last edited by Cadenza; 10-05-2014 at 22:35.

I also use the Evernew 1.3 uncoated titanium pot. I carry a plastic "dish" made out of the bottom of a creamer container that I can eat out of but mostly to drink coffee from. My Simmerlite stove nests inside.

My first cookware for backpacking included a reasonably lightweight 1.3 liter stainless steel cooking pot, Swiss brand I think. Next, I had an aluminum nesting "billy can" set I never liked. Because I did not have a way to "simmer" I felt my dinner was always at risk of burning at the bottom of the pan. I liked the 1.3 liter pan, because I could see into the pan to see if I needed to stir things up a bit, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula.

The problem, like the OP, is the volume of the pan is unreasonable for packing well, and, it is too big for cooking for one.

I have the problem solved with the open design of the Vargo 750 titanium. It has a lid. It has a folding handle that is sturdy when it is in position to grasp.

I can easily see into the Vargo 750 Sierra to see how the cooking is progressing and scrape the pan with a spatula.

Now that we have carbon cloth to have a simmer, I can prepare any entree.

I am referring to the cut-out carbon cloth circle that is put over the flame, so only the center of the flame reaches the pan. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/carbon-...ot-grabber.php

I have my meal one item at a time. In that manner, I need only one pan for food preparation and for consumming the food.

That is how I like "cooking for one".
    Last edited by Connie; 11-05-2014 at 01:26.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    dont use an aluminum pot unless you want cancer or alzheimers. go with Ti or stainless
    ouch this has been vilified.. Even if you have not eaten paint chips as a child. You still have Iron, Mercury in your blood... go get tested if you don't believe me.

Aluminum toxicity occurs when a person ingests or breathes high levels of aluminum into the body.
    Aluminum is the most plentiful metal in the earth’s crust. It is present in the environment combined with other elements such as oxygen, silicon, and fluorine.
    Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can cause serious health problems. If you think you have been exposed to high levels of aluminum, contact your doctor.

*Causes

Because aluminum is found in food, water, air, and soil, people may be exposed to high levels of aluminum when they:

• Drink or ingest substances containing high levels of aluminum
    • Breath aluminum dust in workplace air
    • Live where aluminum is mined or processed
    • Live near certain hazardous waste sites
    • Live where aluminum is naturally high

*Risk Factors

Anyone can develop this condition, but certain people are more likely to develop aluminum toxicity. The following factors increase your chances of developing aluminum toxicity. If you have either of these risk factors, tell your doctor:

• Diminished kidney function
    • Hemodialysis
    • Drinking or ingesting substances that are high in aluminum
    • Living or working in an environment that contains high levels of aluminum
    • Receiving long-term intravenous nutrition
    • Live in dusty environments

Definition

Aluminum toxicity occurs when a person ingests or breathes high levels of aluminum into the body.
    Aluminum is the most plentiful metal in the earth’s crust. It is present in the environment combined with other elements such as oxygen, silicon, and fluorine.
    Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can cause serious health problems. If you think you have been exposed to high levels of aluminum, contact your doctor.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

After about a month of messing around with a 950ml stainless steel cook pot I have in my kitchen and my 1.3L titanium pot I still am having a hard time doing real cooking in the 950mlpot. It just doesn't have the space needed to use the right amount of water for proper boil cooking and stirring becomes an issue.

Just for an example. And this is an extremely simple meal.

1 packet of ramen calls for 2 cups of water. I, as well as, many others eat 2 packets of ramen at one time. So calling for 4 cups of water equates to roughly 946ml of H20.

So before I even add the ramen to the pot which will take a lot more volume, I am over a 900ml cook pot.

In my 1.3L cookpot, adding the correct amount of water and the 2 bricks of ramen brings me to about 1100-1200ml mark.

After boiling for a little bit food typically absorbs some water and some h20 boils off.

I'm just pointing out that you cannot follow the directions to cooking 2 packets of ramen to a T in a 900ml pot.

I understand that one, you don't really need two cups of water per packet at all, it's overkill, and two, this is why so many people do FBC and pot cozy cooking.

But for someone who is making full in pot meals in the backcountry with full boil times and "real" food. I find a 900ml pot to be too small.

Regards

Images

When I was younger, I ate more. I used to cook in the 1.3
    As I get older I find my appetite is not quite as big and the .9 is fine.
    It really comes down to HOW MUCH do you need to fill the tank?

I think 900 ml is huge. Find a smaller pot, to fit inside the 900 ml. Use a ring of metal from a small cat food tin, place the smaller ml pot inside the 900 ml on top of the "baking ring" to make trail muffins, fudge brownie mix, whatever.

That's cookin'

The rest of the time, use the smaller ml pot as a cup.

There, that is a complete kitchen for a solo backpacker.

oh, try Pad Thai. It is a tasty and "appetite satisfying" dish.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-10-2014 at 15:33.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

I understand that one, you don't really need two cups of water per packet at all, it's overkill, and two, this is why so many people do FBC and pot cozy cooking.

But for someone who is making full in pot meals in the backcountry with full boil times and "real" food. I find a 900ml pot to be too small.

Regards
    Congrats- This is the classic example of informed HYOH. You listened to others, understand how others do it, tried each method and ultimately choose what works for your style of hike.

Enjoy slugging down that big ol pot of food at the end of the day, you've earned it!

In addition, that big pot is likely perfect for steam baked GINGERbread men if'n you're feeling like desert is in order- just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Congrats- This is the classic example of informed HYOH. You listened to others, understand how others do it, tried each method and ultimately choose what works for your style of hike.

Enjoy slugging down that big ol pot of food at the end of the day, you've earned it!

In addition, that big pot is likely perfect for steam baked GINGERbread men if'n you're feeling like desert is in order- just a thought.
    Just Bill.. your never gonna let the Ginger thing go are ya bud lol! I'm proud of my red locks. But yeah, at 5'8" and 150lbs. I can eat like an animal. 2 packets of ramen and a chicken pouch is a normal dinner for me. And sometimes I want more. I am NOT one of those people that goes hungry till they get to town to chow down. I eat a lot on the trail, cause my metabolism is so high, I need the calories for energy.

Maybe I need to find more energy/calorie dense food. I am looking to getting into dehydrating my own meals, but that'll only work for shorter trips or mail drop scenarios.

Just for fun in order for me not to go to bed hungry, which, is the worst thing ever. This is what a typical day on the LT was like.

1-2 bagels with peanut butter, jam, nutella for breakfast. Accompanied with water, green tea, or instant coffee. Usually 2 snacks before usually, sometimes three. A snack was typically an energy bar, some trail mix, granola bar, candy bar, etc. A lunch consisted of a cheese and salami, or tuna wrap with a snack. Two more snacks before dinner. Then a hefty dinner and don't forget desert.

Like I said.. everyone gocked at my food bag. But it was always about empty going into town.

ps... I do not like gingerbread men cookies lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++