WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    Just an FYI for those that don't know. You can take a cheap ace hardware blowtorch to a Ti pot and it will remove creosote and/or anything burnt solid to your pot.

I am curious if you could just stick it inside your over when you do a self clean cycle.
    I kinda prefer to leave mine 'seasoned', and use dedicated stuffsack.

I think food satisfaction is important for trail food.

I am never satisfied by bagels, or, tuna fish or tuna anything. It just leaves me hungry, as ever.

I am an advocate of calorie dense. I think I have become an advocate of food satisfaction.

I never had Pad Thai before. I got Stick's Blog: I liked the idea of using so little water. I tried it.

I looked at the finished dish. I thought, that is not enough food for anyone!

To my surprise, Pad Thai had a great deal of food satisfaction. I can't wait to try it out on the trail, and, find out if it has sustained value.

Is it the "magic" of ingredients that go so well together?

I find any item on the Highly Beneficial food list, in D'Adamo, has sustained value.

Is Pad Thai ingredients on my Highly Beneficial ingredients food lists?

For example, walnuts are on the Highly Beneficial list for my constitutional-type. I have even a few walnuts. I feel strong.

I am thinking, this is a big part of why I am so happy with my Vargo Sierra 750, a 750 ml cook pot.

I am eating differently.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-11-2014 at 21:04.

Ine complete box of shells macaroni. The smaller 7.5oz size.

I'm a big eater and almost got a 1.2- or 1.3-liter pot, but my 0.9-l titanium pot is big enough for me, including homemade dehydrated meals and Knorrs noodle and rice dishes.

if you go with the trail designs set up it's worth picking up the simmer ring for the alcohol stove . i cook in the 900ml pot and fbc with it when cooking in the pot stir the center regularly. the caldera cones are addicting i use a 400ml for the occasional fbc and coffee in summer months. 900ml the rest of the time when there is no snow on the ground and the 1300ml for snow melting. the 900ml is the perfect size. most meals will cook with less water then the recipe calls for on the package

Lots of good feedback with this thread. I the op, am sticking with my 1.3L. I even got my CC Ti-Tri sidewinder with inferno for it. It's a pretty sweet setup. I'm staying with my 1.3L for the versatility of it.

I can cook whatever I want in it. A sh"t ton of food or a little, boil large amounts of water for a dinner and drink, melt snow, have a hot bath! So far this setup is going to do everything I need out of a cook kit, year round.

Plus it is "easier" cooking in my 1300 than my 950ml stainless steel pot I have in my kitchen. Less fussy, easier to stir, and never filled directly to the brim.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Images

I think "Shug" uses a 900ml pot

[/QUOTE]

I used a 900ml Ever new pot on my 2014 AT thru hike. Titanium - it worked great, no problems and was easily plenty for one person on a thru hike. I augmented it with an REI titanium double walled mug - Good enough.
    Best,
    Wingnut NOBO 2014

July; The thing about putting cookware in an oven on self clean works great for cast iron at home. So if you mess up a cast iron skillet or such putting it in the oven on self clean will bring it back to brand new condition. You will have to re-season.
    I don't know about Ti, Al, or stainless steel.

I added a tin can lid to my pot set as a heat spreader, since Ti does not transfer heat as well as Al, or stainless, I wont get the hot spot right under the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I added a tin can lid to my pot set as a heat spreader, since Ti does not transfer heat as well as Al, or stainless, I wont get the hot spot right under the flame.
    Interesting. Did you attach it somehow to the bottom? Would like to hear more about this.

I only boil water no need to cook directly in your cook pot just boil water and put it in a zip-lock bag enough said.

If you are wanting a 1.1L pot check out the Toaks 1.1L Titanium Pot. it come in three options. 1. With a flat lid, 2. With a Flat lid and a with Bail Handle, 3. With a Fry Pan for a Lid. I hope this helps.

1) http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-POT-1000...dp/B009PJHD6Q/
    71ayGZaLvhL._SL1290_.jpg
    2) http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium...dp/B00F4MK892/
    31y5DdX0VQL.jpg
    3) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MZHRKU
    61MZN6OJRTL._SL1248_.jpg

Sorry the first link was for the 1L not the 1.1L .. here is the link for the 1.1L http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-1100ml-Pot/

I have been struggling with this question lately as all of my meals from my last three trips have been cooked in my pot...no freezer bags. I love my small and light-weight cooking system but it has its drawbacks; cooking in a small pot can be hazardous. I recently caused a small fire when cooking lunch at a rest stop.

Last week I splurged and invested in a caldera cone with inferno and 900ml ti pot. I love the idea of being able to use multiple fuel sources with one system. Deciding on the pot size was difficult and I wavered between the 900 and 600 ml pots. The caldera cone is custom fit to the pot and that limitation bothered me. I like to have options.

Anyway, due to a snafu, Trail Designs sent me the wrong size pot, the 600 ml, so I had an opportunity to compare pot sizes and see how the 600 ml fit in a caldera cone that was built for a 900 ml pot.

My first impression is the 900 ml pot is so big. It feels much bigger than my current pot but appears to be the perfect size for my needs. There is plenty of room so I won’t have to constantly stir and lift it off the flame to avoid boiling over. It’s hard to wrap my brain around the idea that I’ve just spent a lot of money to upgrade my cooking system to a heavier one.

I took some pics of the 600 ml pot in my new caldera cone. It will only work with the stakes as it’s not a snug fit but I believe it can work if I decide the 900 ml is too big for me. Granted, I didn’t test this theory as the pot had to be mailed back to TD,

So here’s some pics if anyone is interested.

BTW, great customer service from Trail Designs.

7C317601-1A82-4D89-9DE2-059C7EF20D1A.jpeg

616FF284-214B-4F43-B75E-141B627F30F7.jpeg

CAC591F8-5C11-4008-A87A-70E2B2710FED.jpeg

16EE2170-F2D4-41EF-9B07-D4598E37685F.jpeg

Images

I swithced to a modified Toaks 1300ml pot. I can use multi fuels. This video shows a modified Kovia Spyder being used.

I can fit 2 packages of ramen inside easily. Hey, I'm a big guy, need lots of food :-)

I really like a 900 cc pot when I'm just cooking for me. When full of water, it's perfect to pour off a couple cups for a big mug of tea or coffee, and still have enough water and room to rehydrate whatever I'm eating for dinner or breakfast. I have a dedicated one for my FireFly twig stove (so that any soot can be left alone, with pot stored in its cozy), and another when I'm using a canister stove burner.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I went from a 1.3L to a .9L pot and it was fine. Enough room to boil up a couple of Ramen packets or a Lipton dinner. Takes up less room in the pack and still big enough to store my titanium alcohol stove, windscreen and other items.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    Just an FYI for those that don't know. You can take a cheap ace hardware blowtorch to a Ti pot and it will remove creosote and/or anything burnt solid to your pot.

I am curious if you could just stick it inside your over when you do a self clean cycle.
    I'm glad that works for you, but I'd offer a word of caution for people who want to try it out -- beware of "oil canning." When working with sheet metal, like in a Ti pot, a big heat gradient can result in expanding the sheet metal, causing a high/low spot that pops in-and-out. Oil canning can be fixed, with some heat and some skill, but better to avoid it in the first place. In this case, try to heat the surface somewhat evenly rather than concentrating the flame in just one area.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++