WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What pack are you bringing?

Just out of curiosity. The time has come for me to purchase my pack for next years thru. Finding myself torn between the ULA circuit and the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. So I figured i'd ask you guys, what pack are you planning on bringing?
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

The pack that suits one person may be a nightmare for you. Get to a good outfitter with a and try on many.
    Take the top finalist on short trip. If it fits, keep it, if not, return it and try again.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

That's generally good advice, FB, but it's hard to find dealers that carry ULA and Gossamer Gear packs.

If you have the money, of course, you can buy both and return one. It'll cost return shipping, which might be cheaper than gas money to a far-away outfitter.

About these packs: Both are excellent. Well made, well designed, specifically for long distance hiking. I see a lot of Circuits on the AT -- on one weekend hike this April I think half the northbounders we met had Circuits. I've never seen a Mariposa on the AT. That doens't mean they aren't there, but they aren't common. Finally, we now own three Circuits - finally got my lovely wife into one this year, and she loves it. Carries very much like her old Osprey women's pack but weighs half as much.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

On any UL* pack, pay particular attention to the framesheet, or lack thereof. Something has to give structure to the pack; it either comes from the framesheet or very careful packing. See it if makes sense to you and feels good against your back, with a normal load.

No personal experience with either of these packs but know they're well regarded. Granite Gear must also have something in that category (whatever replaced the "Vapor Trail.)

*Not sure if 39 oz. for a pack is considered UL but that's another matter.

I am repacking my ULA Catalyst for next year. Fantastic gear. As always though proper fit is a must. I had the wrong size hipbelt when I got to NOC and was able to fix the problem. I'd love to think I had shrunk by then!

Cool

Given that a zillion companies make about a bazillion backpacks, how did you arrive at those two? Size? How much do you need? Weight? How much is too much? Price? What is your budget? Availability? You should have access to a good selection locally.
    A few names to consider. If you have considered and eliminated these I was never here. GOOGLE can lead you to them.

Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack. I am a happy owner/user. Since 1974. Hand made in Seattle.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear
    . 2400-3400-4400 cu. in. models. Hand made in Maine

Boreas
    . Sold at REI and other places.

One more time: Fit is everything. Does your gear fit in the pack? Does the pack fit you?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Sure do love my ULA Ohm 2.0 (but most people prefer the Circuit with it's better support, but ~11 oz penalty and the Ohm is plenty of support for my base weight), got about 1800 trail miles on it, going strong! I own about 10 packs, haven't used any other of them since I bought my ULA, except an REI flash 30 daypack for day hikes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear-tell that GG and ULA packs make up the majority of packs on the PCT? Very popular out west, at least.

Rob,
    GG? Gossamer or Granite?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Good question! I think I mis-spoke... I have a couple pals who completed the PCT last year, and they both own "GG" packs... they were going on about how their brand packs and ULA packs dominated the trail... Now that I think about it, I THNK they had Granite Gear packs, not Gossamer, sorry for the confusion.

I get the two GG's mixed up all the time.

i CAN SEE WHERE SEEING "gg" COULD LEAD TO ALL SORTS OF CONFUSION.

oops. working again.

Wayne

On my PCT thru i will be carring Z-Packs ArcBlast ( Hybrid ).

I was going to use one of my external frame packs, likely the Jansport "Scout". This pack only weighs 3 pounds, not much more then many internal frame packs. I figure with all the food and water which needs to be carried at times, the external frame would do a better job. I don't see where an internal frame pack has much advantage over an external frame on western trails, which for the most part are nicely graded. The AT on the other hand...

But for various reasons I decided not to do this trip this year. Maybe next year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used a Goss Gear pack for my SOBO thru. I'm not sure if it was the Mariposa or not. I think it weighed roughly 25 or 27oz (it was the newer design). The seams busted at the bottom, right hand side. This caused a nice sized hole where the shoulder strap attached to the base of the pack. This happened by the time I was out of the 100 mile wilderness. Literally the day I hit Mass, the strap came completely off of the pack. Luckily I was staying a few days with friends. I think I cut a hole in the back of the pack near the metal U-frame and then knot tied the shoulder strap around the metal bar. It made it the rest of the way to GA, but it was unfortunate that the pack began breaking down after only 100miles. I contacted customer support and they told me to mail it to them and they would repair it. It's impossible to do this on trail! So, I'm kind of divided. The seams definitely shouldn't have busted out the first 100 miles, but my ghetto rig did technically last to GA...the customer support did not seem viable, or all that helpful, but at the end of the day, they did offer to repair it. In terms of usability I dig the pack. There's a fair amount of storage space, especially for the weight...also, the side pockets and exterior webbing are great for items that you want quick access to (rain gear, water filter, gloves, etc). I also have the HMG, side-winder or something like that. It weighs the same as the GG pack, but has significantly less carrying space, and no real side pockets. Really, a pack is a pretty personal option. Think about what you want/need, consider the weight of the pack, consider fit, and also consider how much weight you will be carrying in said pack...Do NOT overload light packs! They're just not made for it.

kidchill,
    Sorry about your luck. You bring up the one thing about these UL backpacks that I fear: Lightweight at the expense of durability.

The Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Packs I linked to earlier are made with 1000D Cordura nylon, leather and nylon straps sized for their function. Can you say "Bulletproof?" Even so, they weigh between 2 pounds and 2 pounds 10 ounces from the smallest to the largest sizes. The Giant Jensen is quite large at 4,378-4,610 cu. in. depending on torso size. The original Jensen pack is 2,969 to 3,241 cu. in. My medium size Jensen with the external pockets (760 cu. in. - highly recommended) is right at 3,865 cu. in. or 63 liters. It will hold more than I need to carry.

Jensen Giant on the left. Original Jensen on the right.

JensenGiant.jpg

They deserve consideration.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    kidchill,
    Sorry about your luck. You bring up the one thing about these UL backpacks that I fear: Lightweight at the expense of durability.
    My 37 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Trail is built like a rock. It hasn't seen the kind of miles that its big brother (the Numbus Ozone) has but it's the same grade of construction and materials throughout. Both are seven years old now, between them they have a thousand miles or so of AT, LT and White Mountain hiking on them. The only damage on either one is a small tear in one of the outer mesh pockets.

Images

I carry my gear in a ULA Catalyst. Love it!

Images

Of those two packs you listed I would choose the Mariposa. I use a SMD Starlite. Everyone like like something different, to each his own.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

This is my TETON OUTFITTER 4600 (With Jack E. Boys stuffed clifford)

Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    My 37 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Trail is built like a rock. It hasn't seen the kind of miles that its big brother (the Numbus Ozone) has but it's the same grade of construction and materials throughout. Both are seven years old now, between them they have a thousand miles or so of AT, LT and White Mountain hiking on them. The only damage on either one is a small tear in one of the outer mesh pockets.
    Thanks. Whenever I get a touch of gear lust I do look at Granite Gear offerings.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Images

Granite Gear Crown VC, I just like to have all my stuff in the pack, I own 7 packs and really only use this one. Replaced my GG Vapor Trail..... Pack with Cuben hip pockets 34 oz.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++