WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Who's keeping a journal and where

I plan to keep a journal on Trail Journals and only because someone recommended it to me. A good place I suppose to stay in touch with friends and family at home. I'm also doing one for the alpine walk in Nov/Dec. I just went to do an entry for both, I have only done one so far and was having a look at some for the 2015 AT. There are some with almost 50 posts already one of 84 posts, talk about keen, they'll have finished the hike before they start. Love looking at the gear lists as well and there are some big heavy items being taken. I still haven't reached the minimum to have the Alpine or AT walk up yet and the Alpines less than 8 weeks away.

So are you keeping a Journal?

Where?

Post a link if you have one already.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I started a blog a few months ago
    aussielegs.wordpress.com
    I think the extra motivation of knowing that people back home (and people you meet along the way/stangers following you) are cheering you on will be a big help.

I am in the process of creating a website which will have blogs. I don't know the purpose of this site yet. It probably will be personal and close friends though.

I'm also going to be doing a WordPress blog on Appalachian Trials. I'll add the link after I get a few more posts done. Blogging was basically the closest thing to "low jacking" me that I'd agree to. Haha
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Images

I have one on postholer.com look at 2015 AT journals. I have a gear list posted too.

I'll be using TrailJournals again. It's a little early for me to get started though........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    I'll be using TrailJournals again. It's a little early for me to get started though........
    This for me, too. 2012 first attempt. I'll probably start a second one, about 3-5 months out. Gotta figure out a unique name, though.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Same here. Probably start one closer to the end of the year on TrailJournals.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

DANGER'S 2015 APPALACHIAN TRAIL JOURNAL will appear soon at TrailJournals. I'll post the link when I get my third post done (required for public viewing). My wife (OIC of Quality Control and Hiker Support) has agreed to be my transcriber on Trailjournals while I'm on my thru (wonderful woman!), so I can just text or email my daily entry to her and she'll fix it up for the journal. I also plan to host a Facebook page so some of my younger Facebook lovin' friends and family can bother me while I'm busy hiking.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I've been blogging about state park outings and AT prep at http://catsdontcamp.wordpress.com for a while but I also just started a Trail Journals account at http://www.trailjournals.com/catsdontcamp. I was thinking I'd keep posting on the Word Press with overall views of sections and then use the Trail Journals one for day to day posts? That way my friends and family can choose which one they want to read. They can opt for just the highlights or if they really just have to know what I ate for breakfast they can find out. Only one post on TJ so far but I'm pretty sure you can see it with the direct link. I think it just needs three posts to show up in the group listings with everyone else. I could be wrong.

I think I will be keeping one at trailournals.com and who knows where else. I've exploring this forum almost daily and found some great stats created by MAP MAN. he has really crunched the numbers of thru hikers on the AT by following trailjournals.com.

I would suggest this as a must read for all. Some amazing info listed on thru hikers. It's really good info and it would be great to see his work continue. Just for this reason I'd suggest keeping one on trailjournals.com even if you have one somewhere else. Make sure to read the whole thing as even after the comments he keeps providing interesting stats.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

Journal Entries

Hello Aussie Legs. We live in Wallingford, VT, about 5 minutes from the trail. If you make it here, let us know if we can give you any help. Mike and Mary.

I used Postholer.com on my blog. I liked the ability to type out an email on my smart phone & send it when I had coverage. When I played w/ TrailJournals, I had to have an actual computer to enter my daily logs.

I'm not computer savvy enough to create my own website or figure out wordpress. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrabo View Post
    Hello Aussie Legs. We live in Wallingford, VT, about 5 minutes from the trail. If you make it here, let us know if we can give you any help. Mike and Mary.
    Very much appreciated!!

I'll be doing a lot of writing leading up to and on the trail. I started a website about a month ago:

www.thebusquestion.com

I'm still building out the site, but I'm doing two posts a week right now to get the ball rolling. It has email subscription and RSS if anyone's interested in following along! I've also been in touch with Appalachian Trials, and it looks like I'll be blogging for them. There will be some overlap (i.e., I'll post something to their site, then to mine 24 hours later).

I think it will be harder to put together well developed posts once I start on the trail, so I'm also toying with the idea of doing daily video updates on YouTube (search for Will Wood as an example). I'm currently working to figure out the tech side of how this would be accomplished.

I love to write and learn/teach, so that's a big part of my motivation. Also, I'm looking to switch career paths and think that this could help with my rebranding.

Is it Spring 2015 yet?!?!

I have my journal on www.trailjournals.com/Tsquare. I start March 2 2015. Still struggling with weight of warmer gear for a cold start time

My journal is now up and running at http://www.trailjournals.com/dangerdave. I'm going to check out Tsquare's journal right now!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I've been toying with idea of blogging my thru-hike for the past few months now and I finally decided to just go for it. If anyone is interested in checking it out, I just made my first post the other day. http://www.jchikestheat.BlogSpot.com

Images

I'm using postholer. I tried trailjournals but postholer is much easier for me to do on my phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++