WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Dried cheese

Default Dried cheese

Is the dried cheese that comes in boxed mac & cheese etc, Is it available in bulk by itself? Or is it possible to shread drier cheeses and dehydrate, like a can of grated parmasian run through the dehydrator. ??
    Cheese jerky!

Most hard cheeses have low water content to start with. Just bring them along. Packaged cheese sticks (often string cheese) are convenient, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Is the dried cheese that comes in boxed mac & cheese etc, Is it available in bulk by itself? Or is it possible to shread drier cheeses and dehydrate, like a can of grated parmasian run through the dehydrator. ??
    Cheese jerky!
    Try your larger bulk food stores.

We find it here in Canada in a chain called Bulk Barn. It's sold as a topping for popcorn but it's the same powdered cheese as in KD.

Another place to try looking is Amish groceries.

-FarrAway

You can buy bulk "cheese" sauce powder, but they are high in fake stuff and low on cheese. Plus they don't rehydrate quite like at home when fresh milk and butter.

I have dehydrated cheese with mixed success. You have to constantly blot the oils off the cheese, and package it separately from the dinners, or the oil will quickly go rancid and ruin the meal.

The best option is freeze dried cheese. Expensive, but worth it, IMHO!!!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Packitgourmet is also a source for dried/powdered cheese. They have a large selection of dehydrated or freeze dried foods, small serving/individual packets, and cooking tools for the trail as well. And powdered syrups! Who knew? (I didn't.)

I ask first but have never been denied access to a few FREE(for me) Dried Parmesan Cheese Packets from Italian Restaurants or places like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I ask first but have never been denied access to a few FREE(for me) Dried Parmesan Cheese Packets from Italian Restaurants or places like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc.
    Yes, I get them at the food court here at work. But in the case of Parmesan, I don't think it's dried. Parmesan cheese just naturally comes that way.

Has anyone tried drying the cheeses in a dehydrator? I dried the basic cashew cheese in a dehydrator for 24 hours to develop a rind.. After I put it in the fridge for a almost a week. It was really good and firm.

Default Dried cheese

Easy Mac and Cheese sold with pre dried cheese mix is a staple for me. I like to ad Tabasco and bacon bits. Crab was fun to add in MD and lobster in Maine. It weighs light and packs a punch. Finding my first block of Cabot Cheese on the trail was amazing. Cheese can last a few days on the trail unless in is 100 in dry Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLeys View Post
    Has anyone tried drying the cheeses in a dehydrator? I dried the basic cashew cheese in a dehydrator for 24 hours to develop a rind.. After I put it in the fridge for a almost a week. It was really good and firm.
    +2 on the beprepared.com for freeze-dried cheese.

I have dried several cheeses in the dehydrator. The problem is the oil content makes them go rancid quickly. I blot the oil off during dehydration, but a lot still remains. After dehydrating, you can store in a jar in a cool place with an oxygen absorber. When packaging for trail meals, package in a separate baggie so it won't spoil the rest of your meal.

This is why I use freeze dried cheeses...
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

++ New Posts ++