WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Handling Bear Line

I'm trying not to become too OCD about organizing my pack, but I needed a simple, lightweight way to keep my 50' of paracord from tangling. I thought of the throw bags we used for whitewater kayaking rescues and came up with the following, similar design. Maybe some of you can use or improve this idea.

I've been saving small bottles and stuff bags I come across to help keep my pack organized. One of the plastic bottles I have is a light weight empty vitamin bottle. It looked about the right size. As it turned out, I could stuff the 50' of paracord inside with little room to spare. Perfect! I drilled a small hole through the lid and another through the bottom. Passing the line through, a knot on each side of the holes keeps the two parts from sliding around. A little figure eight knot on each end with a small beaner completes this simple and compact container. Just unscrew the lid, pull out the line (no tangles), place a few stones in the bottle and toss!

I added the cool skull camo duct tape to give it style and strength.

IMG_0921.jpg
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I always just coil the line and stuff it in a newspaper bag. If you coil a line properly, you won't have very much problem with tangling.

I also try to keep it off the ground except when I'm actually heaving it. When I hoist my bag, I recoil the line and anchor the coil with a slipped hitch and let it up into the tree. I fish it down in the morning with a trekking pole or a stick. Keeps it neater, and advertises it less to the critters.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Nicely done, Kevin!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

I have a tiny silnylon stuff sack for my rope, which doubles as a rock sack for throwing. When the bag is hung, I coil the excess rope and put it in the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I saw a youtube thing a while back. You streach out your thumb and forefinger as wide as possible. Then you wrap the cord around them in a figure 8 ,
    and for some magic reason that I kinda understand and kinda don't the cord unwinds tangle free.

Section Hiker

I just loop mine back n forth in my hand then wrap the end around itself a couple times, stuff back in bag or leave hanging off tree, only takes a minute. My throw bag is the little stuff sack a sleeping bag liner came in (liner useless, stuff sac great). My cord is #325 paracord, 50'. I like the 325 way better than the bigger sized stuff, which also seemed to catch on everything. When mine does get tangled, it untangles really easily.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I saw a youtube thing a while back. You streach out your thumb and forefinger as wide as possible. Then you wrap the cord around them in a figure 8 ,
    and for some magic reason that I kinda understand and kinda don't the cord unwinds tangle free.
    What makes it tangle is usually that you're twisting it when you coil it. Coiling in a circle twists it. Coiling in a figure 8 doesn't, because you twist to the left at one end and back to the right at the other.

There's also a way to make bigger loops, which is what I do. All climbers know how. Get one to show you. Or you can probably find a video somewhere. I can't think of a way to describe it in writing that will make sense.

Images

Over-under method is what I use. It essentially creates the figure 8 Kevin is talking about. No tangles. Use the same method for extension cords, computer cables, etc...

Jump to the 1:12 mark.

For storage I put my slickline in a DIY silnylon rock pocket.

20140915_221823.jpg

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Thanks, octothorpesareus, that's exactly the method I was talking about (or the related butterfly method). I don't use a rock sack. I tie a monkeys-fist around a rock.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 09-19-2014 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Over-under method is what I use. It essentially creates the figure 8 Kevin is talking about. No tangles. Use the same method for extension cords, computer cables, etc...

Jump to the 1:12 mark.

For storage I put my slickline in a DIY silnylon rock pocket.

20140915_221823.jpg
    pretty slick

I'll bet ole Will Rodgers coulda hang a bear bag in style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmGcmgvwqY

Images

I should mention that it's worth watching that video to the very end because he shows how to easily untangle your cord if you unroll from the wrong end. I'm not good enough with knots to reliably tie a monkey fist that holds. Probably not enough wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    I should mention that it's worth watching that video to the very end because he shows how to easily untangle your cord if you unroll from the wrong end. I'm not good enough with knots to reliably tie a monkey fist that holds. Probably not enough wraps.
    yeah, saw the reach through method...pretty slick.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    pretty slick

I'll bet ole Will Rodgers coulda hang a bear bag in style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmGcmgvwqY
    Yeah. Me, I more take after David. He didn't mean to kill Goliath. He was just trying to hang a bear bag. So stand back!

Garlic
    Images

On a 50' length of paracord, it might help if you double it first, making it 25' long, then do the over-under method. Fewer loops that way. You can make a mark at the middle at home. My old climbing rope came with a middle mark.

I'm a little ashamed at how long it took me to discover the over-under thing. I just thought untangling line was a normal camp chore. Then I started hanging around with climbers.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Here is a video on the figure 8 coil, it does work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZNUe2X2t0
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Whatever method you decide to use make sure that you practice it blindfolded (or in the dark). Frequently I drop my food bag before sunrise and this ability comes in very handy.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Hard to explain but I make the normal coils and then stretch the coils out like one big rope. Take the two ends and tie a simple overhand knot in the middle. Fold over and stuff it in the bottom of the stove/food stuff sack which I hang. Never tangles.
    rolex

For some reason my zPacks bear line started to get tangled up quite a bit toward the latter part of my Colorado Trail thru hike. It got wet quite a bit and doesn't look in the best of shape, although it isn't frayed. I'm not quite sure what caused it to start tangling up.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    I'm trying not to become too OCD about organizing my pack, but I needed a simple, lightweight way to keep my 50' of paracord from tangling. I thought of the throw bags we used for whitewater kayaking rescues and came up with the following, similar design. Maybe some of you can use or improve this idea.

I've been saving small bottles and stuff bags I come across to help keep my pack organized. One of the plastic bottles I have is a light weight empty vitamin bottle. It looked about the right size. As it turned out, I could stuff the 50' of paracord inside with little room to spare. Perfect! I drilled a small hole through the lid and another through the bottom. Passing the line through, a knot on each side of the holes keeps the two parts from sliding around. A little figure eight knot on each end with a small beaner completes this simple and compact container. Just unscrew the lid, pull out the line (no tangles), place a few stones in the bottle and toss!

I added the cool skull camo duct tape to give it style and strength.

IMG_0921.jpg
    Thanks for the idea, I'm going to try it out.

Journal Entries

Coiling a line, or wrapping it around something , usually induces twist, and requires careful uncoiling to avoid tangles.

Stuffing a line, doesnt.

Stuff the line into a small sack . It comes out last in-first out. No tangles. Mine stuff into their rock sacks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++