WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default 2017 thru

Looking to be on the trail on March 21

I am but no sure yet nobo / sobo or flip flop ... Would love to see the leaves changing when headed south...

Quote Originally Posted by RMillerWV View Post
    I'm planning a Flip Flop starting from Rockfish Gap, VA or Harpers Ferry in 2017.
    I may be doing a flip flop also in 2017... I live in Florida and like the ideal of walking home ..

I live in Morgantown, WV, which is only 3 hrs from Harper's Ferry. So, a flip flop makes a lot of sense for me. Plus, I want to avoid the whole hiker bubble mess in GA in March.

Anyone considering a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry north and then Georgia north to Harpers Ferry? I like near Front Royal so the last half would be hiking home and it would be all northbound.

That's what I'm considering for 2017. I think it'd be awesome to finish at Harpers Ferry / near home!

Journal Entries
    Images

I am nobo in or around third week of march if all goes right.

Its consuming my every thought. It will be my first AT hike and short of death or severe injury.... I will finish. I will be taking my dog with me and would like to find a partner to start and hopefully finish with doing the same..

SoBo starting in mid June 2017 here. Will be sure to put trail updates in the log books as I go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Its consuming my every thought. It will be my first AT hike and short of death or severe injury.... I will finish. I will be taking my dog with me and would like to find a partner to start and hopefully finish with doing the same..
    PM sent dogface

I am taking the plunge and planning to step foot as a NOBO on March 1, 2017.
    My plans are to do it solo, but do not expect to be alone on the trail and look forward to meeting people as part of the AT experience.
    Would love to chat with peeps who are also planning for 2017. I just read the posts on a forum titled " What am I thinking" or something like that which discusses someone's anxieties about taking the plunge and doing a thru hike. It would be cool to relate to others who are feeling/doing/thinking/planning same stuff. I cannot discuss it with co-workers 'cause I cannot let the boss find out I am pulling anchor and leaving next year. And I do not discuss it with those family/friends who would think I am insane and pop my dream bubble. So, I go chew the ears off of staff at local REI store who I know are going to quickly get tired of that.
    Today I fitted for a backpack and bought one. And today was my first post on this website.
    Jemster is just my username. Do not have a trail name yet 'cause most of my miles have been logged doing urban hiking, biking or running.
    Retired Navy sailor, currently work in the medical community, and it appears as if the stars have all aligned for me to go for this long-time dream in 2017.

Hi All My wife and I will be hiking NOBO in 2017. Is it just me or does it it dominate your every thought planning this out ? In a good way of course.

Cheers Stuart & Heather

Planning for my 2017 NOBO has taken up the majority of my evenings for several months now, usually while the wife and I are watching one of our TV shows via Netflix. This last week, I've been making my own KML of things that are important to me.

I imported ATC's centerline, but had to manually enter data for all the shelters (free version of Google Earth only imports KML/KMZ files). Last night, I finished putting in resupply locations which are based on another user's plan of not straying more than a mile from the trail (with a couple exceptions). I've also been adding in points of interest like the Doyle. My next big piece will be identifying 3-5 places for my wife and family to come visit (most likely in the segments that are 7-10 days between resupply).

But, yeah, it's pretty much on my mind every day. For folks like myself that aren't just out of HS/college or retired, the planning has to get kicked up a notch to make sure all the little gears are in sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot86 View Post
    Anyone preparing for a 2017 thru yet, besides me.
    Yes due to start mid February to miss the crowds. having problems getting accident/health insurance in the UK because of age/ long stay.Is there a stand alone policy you guys sign up for?

Well, I attempted to thru hike in 2015. Made it just past Daleville/Troutville, Va when I had to pull off due to loosing 46 pounds in 43 days. That scared the heck outta me, my new hiking partner pulled off trail due to a sickness, and I got some news my uncle had passed. So there was too much "down" for me to handle. BUT, using what I learned and if everything goes as planned, I got the OK from the wife to leave her once more and try to go "end to end". Hopefully this will be next year and I'll plan on starting around the same day as my 1st attempt: April 19th. I know things change, but as of now, that's the plan. So come on 2017! Hurry up and get here.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi All My wife and I will be hiking NOBO in 2017. Is it just me or does it it dominate your every thought planning this out ? In a good way of course.
    Man tell me about it, it is all I sleep eat and live at the moment.
    I know it sounds ridiculous but it keeps me busy and gives me stuff to do in between work ... now that all my big gear is purchased it is straight just saving away money and planning how many mail drops I want/need to,and what contents will be in my bounce box .

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Several hikers from the class of 1997 are talking about doing a 20th anniversary hike. Still too early for us to be thinking that far ahead. We are more of the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guys.
    I hiked about 800 miles in 1997 and had to quit for health reasons. I did get back and section a hundred or two miles over the years. I'd love to know who from 97 is going to hike in 2017.

We are in the researching phase of planning a flip-flop starting in Harper's Ferry, going north, then back to HF and going south. We are also in Florida.

I'm still in the oh-crap-what-are-we-doing phase though. We'll see. It would be me (Mom) and twin 14 year old daughters. THEY are the driving force behind this so I have to figure out if *I* can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by English Detective View Post
    Yes due to start mid February to miss the crowds. having problems getting accident/health insurance in the UK because of age/ long stay.Is there a stand alone policy you guys sign up for?
    There is a special insurance only available to Europeans. I think I came across it while reading about Camino de San Diago. Will PM ya if I find it again.

For those of you still planning, I suggest getting the guide put out by AWOL if you don't already have it. Will help with the stress. http://The A.T. Guide Northbound 201..._k9.7wb2XPYYKM

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++