WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Killington Peak

Default Killington Peak

Doing day hikes in Vermont and was wondering if its possible to park at VT100, get a shuttle to Killington Mountain, take the gondola up the mountain - then hike back to my car at VT100. Looks like I can do this but not sure. Also - how far away from the Trail crossing at VT100 is the gondola entrance? I have the map but its hard to tell. Also - recommendations for a shuttle (Rutland Taxi looks close and maybe convenient if I decide to do this at the last minute). Thanks!

Journal Entries

Hello; We live in Wallingford, VT about 40 minutes to Killington. Google, Killington- Scenic Lift rides and hiking. I have not hiked up there, but my wife and I have ridden on the chair lift at the top of the mountain a couple of summers ago. Not sure if you are talking about hiking down the AT or on 1 of the other trails. The AT crosses Route 4 near the Inn at Long Trail. I am not sure where you were intending to park. Let me know if I can help, after you look at the trails some more. Mike and Mary G

The problem is, the LT never crosses RT 100 - ever. RT 100 parallels the LT off to the east.

You could hike down to RT 4 going north or RT 103 going south.

There looks to be a side trail south of Killington to Shrewsburry peak at the summit of which looks to be another trail heading towards 100, but it is off the map in my guide book. Finding someone to do the shuttle would likely be the hardest part of this plan.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The problem is, the LT never crosses RT 100 - ever.
    Who ever mentioned the LT as this is a AT forum

Yes the AT pays great honor and respect to the much older LT (the US's first LD hiking trail) by using same blase (color and size) and sharing 1/3 of the LT's total length, but this is obviously a AT question.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Killington area

Yes, there's good parking at the Vt. Fish and Wildlife access/parking lot at Kent Pond on Vt. 100 (the trail passes through the west end of the parking lot). For taxi service in the Killington area call to Gramps Shuttle (802) 236-6600; grampsshuttle.net. 4.5 miles from Kent Pond on Vt. 100 to the base lodge/K-1 gondola on the Killington access road. $15/one way to ride the K-1 to summit of Killington. Killington's #802-422-6201 for more info. Great week to hike in Vermont. Lucky you!
    Cin

Quote Originally Posted by Fussymary View Post
    Doing day hikes in Vermont and was wondering if its possible to park at VT100, get a shuttle to Killington Mountain, take the gondola up the mountain - then hike back to my car at VT100. Looks like I can do this but not sure. Also - how far away from the Trail crossing at VT100 is the gondola entrance? I have the map but its hard to tell. Also - recommendations for a shuttle (Rutland Taxi looks close and maybe convenient if I decide to do this at the last minute). Thanks!
    I'd contact Killington to see which lifts are running. There's a Killington gondola station on Rte. 4 just where VT 100 meets Rte. 4, coming up from the south.

VT 100 then follows Rte. 4 for a few miles westward. The two roads (100 and 4) then diverge again near Gifford Woods state park.

The AT crosses VT 100 in Gifford Woods state park. The main Killington base area is about 4 or 5 miles up a road that goes south from Rte. 4, somewhere near that same intersection. Ie., it's a left hand turn while heading westward on Rte. 4. It's very well marked.

Best to have a look at the situation on Google maps or a proper road map.

Contact GMC for a list of shuttlers in that area. The overall distance you'd need to hitch or taxi is probably about 10 miles either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Who ever mentioned the LT as this is a AT forum
    Okay sorry. I stand corrected, the AT does eventually cross RT 100 north of AT/LT Maine junction, but I don't think that is what the OP had in mind. If you hike north from Killington and get to RT4, there really isn't much point in going any farther unless you want to tack on an extra couple of miles and go over another hill.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's some pdf's you MUST have

These pdf maps will give you an idea of what's where.
    http://www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/coolidge_hiking.pdf
    http://www.mountainmeadowslodge.com/...apandGuide.pdf

The Diamond Express Bus will, for $2 per ride, take you from just about anywhere on Highway 4 to K-1 Lodge
    http://www.thebus.com/pdf/Diamond%20...mer%202014.pdf

Thus, you could park at Gifford Woods OR Sherburne Pass OR where The Trail crosses Highway 4, ride the bus to K-1 Lodge, ride the gondola up to Killington Peak, and then hike down to your car. You don't need a shuttle at all; you just have to make certain you don't miss your bus.

Which can get VERY frustrating if you do!
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...o-buggy-Part-4

Okay sorry. I stand corrected, the AT does eventually cross RT 100 north of AT/LT Maine junction, but I don't think that is what the OP had in mind. If you hike north from Killington and get to RT4, there really isn't much point in going any farther unless you want to tack on an extra couple of miles and go over another hill.
    It's a long downhill on the AT from Maine Junction to Kent Pond. (I was hiking sobo so it was a tough soggy uphill for me.)

Along Rte. 100 and Rte. 4 it's all uphill from Kent Pond to the Inn at the Long Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Thus, you could park at Gifford Woods OR Sherburne Pass OR where The Trail crosses Highway 4, ride the bus to K-1 Lodge, ride the gondola up to Killington Peak, and then hike down to your car. You don't need a shuttle at all; you just have to make certain you don't miss your bus.
    ^^That nails it. Personally, I'd park across from the Inn, take the bus to the gondola, then go directly back to the inn via the old AT. Once back to the inn, have a pint and some Irish stew.

Journal Entries

Like I said, look at the trails and decide which you want to do. We live near Killington and would be able to help you out. There are a lot of options, as you have read here. Mike and Mary, Wallingford VT.

Images

^^That nails it. Personally, I'd park across from the Inn, take the bus to the gondola, then go directly back to the inn via the old AT. Once back to the inn, have a pint and some Irish stew.
    Yah, this. The bus runs every hour and costs two bucks. The Inn is a great place to end a day hike, and given all the time it will take for bus and gondola, the hike is long enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The OP was asking about taking the gondola up the mountain. Best to call in and ask about which lifts will be operating at the time of the OP's hike. I get the impression you'll want the main base area, rather than the Skyeship outpost.

There's a complicated network of trails surrounding the Inn at the Long Trail, owing partially to the reroute of the AT years ago. I agree with others that the Inn would make a good ending point for a day hike. The old AT (Sherburne Trail) leads right to the Inn. The current AT crosses Rte. 4 about a mile to the west.

Thank you all. I'm going to drive over and scope things out before the gondola opens today. I'm hiking the AT in mostly day hikes and the option of taking the bus from the Inn to the gondola and hiking back to my car looks good. Was hoping to do a few more miles but will see. The road walk to the Inn might change that! Golden Bear - thank you for the bus schedule link.

The road walk between the old and new trailheads is no big deal, but you can also take an easy trail between these two same points, on the north side of Rte. 4. It's longer than the roadwalk, but a pleasant walk, with only a couple hundred feet of vertica.

So here's what I did - parked across the street from the Long Trail Inn on Rt 4. Took the bus (which was on time) to the Killington Gondola. Took the Gondola (with no wait) to the top. Walked over on a catwalk setup to the AT by the Cooper Lodge. Hiked north, crossed Rt 4 and walked another 1.9 miles to the Sherburne Pass Trail. Took that back to the Inn. A nice 8.2 mile hike along the AT. Coming down Killington was easy. I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks for all of the help.

And a very nice day to do it too

++ New Posts ++