WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default West Mountain Shelter Closed for Repairs

Tented at West Mountain Sunday night and passed signs that it would be closing September 22 for repairs. I believe the sign said they'd be working on it for at least a month. It was in desperate need of a new roof and floor repairs at the least the last couple times I was there. Glad it's getting an update. Great views!

They had most of the roof off before I was packed up to head out yesterday morning. Questionable music choices however. Haha.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Images

Good to hear. Highly recommend this shelter, loved the views. No dependable water though, consider it a dry camp.

Definitely dry. The last water after the lake that's 0.6 miles from Fingerboard was at a rest stop on there Pallisades. Camping is still allowed during repairs, just not shelter use. After the rain cleared out the sunrise and view of NYC were lovely. The colors are changing a little too
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KillerKarma View Post
    Definitely dry. The last water after the lake that's 0.6 miles from Fingerboard was at a rest stop on there Pallisades. Camping is still allowed during repairs, just not shelter use. After the rain cleared out the sunrise and view of NYC were lovely. The colors are changing a little too
    I'm a little surprised that Beechy Bottom Brook wasn't running. Stillwater Brook is usually dry in late summer, at least up where that A-T crosses it. You're right that West Mountain and Letterrock Mountain are both bone dry. Even in high summer, Harriman has a lot of water sources, but it's often a half-mile off the A-T. And I tend not to trust a couple of the streams because they arise in abandoned mines and are even now likely to have chemical contaminants. I, too, tend to tank up at Tiorati and Anthony Wayne or Doodletown. The last time I was through there in summer, I took the Ramapo-Dunderberg, Cornell Mine and 1777E rather than the A-T from West Mountain to Fort Clinton. You don't get Perkins Point, but you get nice views from the Timp and Bald Mountain, and then you're hiking through history with the Cornell and Edison mines, the ruins and cemeteries of Doodletown, and the forts.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've been hiking up at Harriman the past 2 weekends. Stopped in at West Mountain Shelter to have a late lunch on Oct 9. As far as I can see the shelter is all repaired and looking really nice. Great views of NYC and the foliage. It was peak foliage this weekend and have had some wonderful hiking in the area.

I plan to head up the shelter again once the "leaf peeping" season is over and camp out there. Tons of people up there and I like to camp in peace and quiet. As far as water went, I didn't find any water sources nearby. Been pretty dry in the area lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! They were tearing the roof off of it when I camped there about a month ago. It looks much better. Glad it finally got the much needed attention

Default West Mountain Shelter Closed for Repairs

Looks great! Can't wait to revisit in a few weeks!

One of my favorite shelters on the entire AT, and certainly my favorite in NY. The new roof looks great!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

If someone gets up there before me can you post a pic of the new roof?

If someone gets up there before me can you post a pic of the new roof?
    I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, that Freak on a Leash posted one above in post #5.

I meant from the back. The top of the shelter was pretty rough before they fixed it.

I meant from the back. The top of the shelter was pretty rough before they fixed it.
    Gotcha. Yeah, the old roof was in pretty bad shape. Though to its credit, it wasn't terribly leaky yet. Glad they improved it before it became all leaky and started damaging the floor.

Images

are there a good number of tenting sites at west mtn shelter? will be headin in this weekend and getting quite a workout in the process and wanna make sure there will be room at least somewhere to pitch a tent as its a summer saturday!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

Yes no worries on tenting sites. I don't know exactly how many there are but it's a lot. Have fun Linus! I'm jealous!

Jane in CT

Images

Thanks Jane! I was supposed to go with my wife and hiking buddy on section 7 and 8 this weekend but she had a knee injury and so i am going on a solo loop through harriman staying at west mtn which was on my shelter bucket list. i will bring her back there when we section hike section 10. I don't mind a little predicted rain but i hope it doesnt dump on me, if possible. that would put a bit of a 'damper' on the experience. yuk yuk.

Images

I have been working up in the park all year. BRING plenty of water, there is NONE up there, and the creeks are very dry. Run off from any rain will be muddy! But........the view.........my my my!

Images

Thanks Lou, planning to fill my 2.5L bladder and bring and extra 20oz smart water bottle just in case. Its just an overnight solo but agreed always good to be prepared! Hopefully it won't be a zoo up there, but I wouldn't mind some company.

Images

Lou can i overnight park in Anthony wayne?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Lou can i overnight park in Anthony wayne?
    Absolutely. The lot is humungus. There are actually 2 lots. The first is right off the exit on the Palisades Parkway, very large. If you continue to the south end of that lot, the road leads to the exit AND to the south lot. All the way to the southern most part of that lot is where you should park. There is the blue blaze to the AT. This lot is very safe, it does not get very much 'non hiker' traffic. Also, which is good and bad, the Park police make frequent runs thru all Harriman lots. The only reaso I say bad is because many times I would shoot down after work Friday, get in late and sack out in my car and take off early in the AM. They will not allow this anymore this year. Enjoy, the park is very large, well marked and the country side is more open than our Connecticut thickets. I also would suggest getting the Ny/Nj maps. You will pass the Book store, just after the AT crossing on the Palisade Parkway....it is right ON the highway, and open at 8am.

Images

THanks! Is this coming from the north and bear mtn bridge or south and 287. i was thinking of taking 287 since i'm in norwalk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++