WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

55lbs all seasons except winter & i wouldn't change a thing.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Currently an 18 base for 3 season, might squeak it just under 17 but there's not a lot of room left for change without sacrifices I don't want to make. Might tip it over the 20lb line for the early march starting kit, that's still being worked out

I've hiked over 700 miles on the trail.

I carry approx 35 pounds. That includes 6-7 days of food, all the sleeping essentials, tent, and a jetboil stove 128oz of water too in my nalagene canteen.

Also, I weigh 190 pounds, 6ft..... if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone but i just can't get past thinking about base weight as so much BS.

It seems to me that the realistic way to plan is how heavy your whole kit is without water and food these two will vary by circumstance and experience.
    What do you think base weight is? It is your whole kit without water and food (well throw fuel in there as well)....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know.
    I certainly agree with your first point, that's the tragedy of folks carrying so much junk and instantly getting turned off on this most-fantastic pastime/hobby. As for your second point, My wife and I just did a 100 miles in a week in the White mountains in NH, carrying 20 pound packs including food; 11 pound base weights and 5 days of food (who needs 7 days of food when there is food along the way?). Fantastic, and yes, we do this all the time, repeating our "mistake" of carrying "vapor ware" (completely and fully equipped).

I think it is great that you all are taking your pack weight seriously. The things that I have seen through the years that people have carried just cracks me up. Last year there was a couple of northbound thru hikers that stands out in my mind. I met them in Vermont as I was heading south and they were actually carrying their weed in glass jars with steel lids and these big glass bongs. I never say anything nor do I laugh but it does amuse me when I'm at camp. Right now I'm at 18 pounds base weight but that usually changes when I hit the trail because before I go I usually lay everything out and give everything a hard thought whether I needed or not before I put it back in the pack. Usually some things stay home. With that said when I'm on the trail my pack usually weighs about 50 pounds with food and water. There's usually a half a pound of butter half a pound of cheese some hummus bagels cream cheese dozen candy bars a bag of cookies I mean I got the stuff to make smiles.

When I first started I walked 3 days with a high 50's bag. Destroyed my knees for a week.

i am at 16 without food or water so with 2 liters of water and i think about 8 to 10 lbs of food 5 days ill be at a max of 30 lbs on the first day after resupply and that's like 1/8th of my weight so not bad at all.

I just finished my gear list of thing I'm going to take next year. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=21218 I hope I did the link right. Take a look and be my Devils Advocate. I think I got everything I need to be happy healthy and warm.

20.5 with fuel and two liters of water. For a 3.5-4 day.

I think skin-out is the most accurate standard. It's too easy for one person to say " Well i"m going to wear that often so i won"t add it to pack wt" where another person would add it to pack wt. If you are wearing it you're still carrying it.
    So let's talk skin-out please.

Haha I'm with you, took me 2 years to get all my ZPacks stuff. I have everything of there's execpt the sleeping bag I found the custom quilts from hammock gear is lighter.But my winter setup is 10lbs and Summer is just under 9lbs.

Journal Entries

Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know.
    Agree with the 70 but you are way off with the rest. My base at might be around 7 lb much of year, but includes everything I need and want. If I had cheaper heavier gear, it might only be 10 to 11 lbs. I honestly cannot ever see carrying anything that I know from experience that I don't need for the conditions. You simply don't need that much, and what you do need has been worked out to a science by others before you.

For a weekend trip I'm usually at around 30 all in. I'm swapping out my sleep system for lighter weight gear (Xlite pad & Montbell bag) which should get me reliably below 30 including 3 days of food and a liter of water. As someone else pointed out there are folks with much heavier packs out there. I would say if you can get to 30 the trail will tell you how to get lighter. The one place I haven't moved off is my pack. My Osprey Kestrel is at least a pound heavier than alternatives but I very much like the pack and I'm not swapping it out. At least not yet.

My current summer base weight is 9lbs. Using REI garage sales, youtube DIY and an oriental 5 and dime, other than my sleeping bag and my pack total cost of that albs is under 45 dollars.

Hubby and I just finished our first section hike -- actually our first hike ever. Our packs were 25 and 24 lbs each fully loaded.

We rented the big 3, since we weren't sure we would like hiking (we did), so we didn't have a lot of choice weight-wise. I learned so much from this forum before we left, and of course, we learned a lot on the trail, too.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I think skin-out is the most accurate standard. It's too easy for one person to say " Well i"m going to wear that often so i won"t add it to pack wt" where another person would add it to pack wt. If you are wearing it you're still carrying it.
    So let's talk skin-out please.
    Ok so from skin out my 9lbs base goes to 11.5 during the summer because of my boots are 11oz each. But then I hike hot. At 50 degrees I am in leotard shorts and a tank top and my hat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++