WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sawyer Mini or other filter?

I am preparing for a 2015 thru and looking into filters now. It seems that the sawyer mini receives lots of good feedback here but I feel like it's too good to be true for $20. What's the catch? Does it not last long or something? What does it not have that more expensive models do? I will not be drinking out of throw away water bottles so will most likely be using nalgenes so I want a pump, so I'd be using that feature of the sawyer. Other filters I've looked into are the Katadyn Hiker Pro based on this forum and MSR Hyperflow Microfilter because I've used it a couple times before and liked it. Though some have said the MSR freezes easily and is a hassle to clean.

What do yall have to say? Thank you.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I've used just about everything available on the market for water purification, with the exception of the steripen type technologies. I really do not have major complaints about any of them. I just went this weekend and used the sawyer. From my experiences, its a little slower than pumping, but works great.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Not and either or for me. I have both the katahdin hiker pro, and the mini sawyer, each is unique and has it's place, and I'd likely figure where I'm going as to which to bring...maybe both. The business end (suction side) of the pumped hiker pro can be placed remotely in a dug out seep under a rock if need be...try that with a mini. The mini can be drained and stuck in a coat pocket to avoid freezing(though it can and has been done, pretty bulky), stung up in a tree for a hands free filter while you make dinner...try that with a hiker pro. Both great filters. I think the Sawyer Mini has really shined and proven it's worth to many, once the busting bags thing got worked out...it's a sound system.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm along the lines of rocketsocks...

If you can get dirty water in a bag, and you don't have to worry about freezing conditions, the Sawyer Mini rocks. About its only major "flaw" is that if it freezes, it is ruined... but even worst, you won't know it is broken.

By contrast, my previous filter was the MSR Sweetwater system. The things I loved about the Sweetwater was that the could suction water from a shallow water source, you could easily add a silt-stopper prefilter to extend the life of the filter, and the filter was freeze/impact safe. But it's much heavier than a Sawyer.

For what it is worth, I used a Sweetwater for about 20 years. But this year, I switched over to the Sawyer. I use a pair of 2L bags and set it up as a gravity filter.

BTW, the Sawyer is basically using the same fundamental technology as the Platypus Gravity Works, the MSR Hyperflow... hollow tube fibers with microscopic pores that mechanically filters bacteria because they are too big to pass thru the pores (viruses are smaller and still pass thru the pores). The only difference between the Sawyer, Platypus, and Hyperflow is that the Hyperflow adds a pump to the system, and maybe the Gravity Works has more fibers for a faster flow rate. Other wise, the guts of a Sawyer Mini and the Gravity Works replacement cartridge are pretty much the same. So I'm not too sure why the Gravity Works replacement filter is more than twice the price of a Sawyer mini. But then this is only the 1st full season the mini has been available. Because of the similarities, I expect the GravityWorks to be obsolete (or much cheaper) within 2 years.

At the beginning of the trail(Springer) I saw all sorts of filters, by the end I only saw Sawyer or Aquamira. It is easy to keep a Sawyer from freezing, it goes in your sleeping bag if it is very cold or just ensure it is insulated from the ground.

Taz

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norts View Post
    At the beginning of the trail(Springer) I saw all sorts of filters, by the end I only saw Sawyer or Aquamira. It is easy to keep a Sawyer from freezing, it goes in your sleeping bag if it is very cold or just ensure it is insulated from the ground.

Taz
    I have to admit though I used a Steripen from GA to ME, that the above statement was accurate. Aquamira and the squeeze was almost the exclusive methods. With that said I did get curious ohhs and ahhs from thru hikers when I use my Steripen all the way to Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I have to admit though I used a Steripen from GA to ME, that the above statement was accurate. Aquamira and the squeeze was almost the exclusive methods. With that said I did get curious ohhs and ahhs from thru hikers when I use my Steripen all the way to Katahdin.
    Starchild is right - Aquamira & Sawyer Squeeze (the mini wasn't out yet) were the most popular water treatment systems on the AT in 2013. I saw Starchild using his Steripen. I saw one other guy using a Hiker Pro filter. I saw a couple using bleach. And all the others were Sawyer Squeeze or Aquamira. FYI - I used Aquamira.

I bought the Mini when it came out. I used it once on a short over-nighter. I was a little disappointed in the flow rate. The weight of the system was outstanding. I need to play with it more to see if I'll truly like it or not.

Images

I've used the Sawyer mini extensively. I definitely like the weight advantage over a filter pump. However, I too am a little disappointed with the flow rate but I've found a couple of tricks that seem to help. For me, I've noticed that I get a much better flow rate when using the 1 liter bags as opposed to the 2 liter bags as I seem to be able to grab them and get a more forceful squeeze. Additionally, I found that if I back flush the filter every two or three days that seems to help. I am looking at rigging up a simple gravity system to filter into my camelback when I am at camp.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Sawyer Squeeze hasnt let me down in 3-4 years. I already bought another one for when it wears out if it ever does!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Got the mini for a month long hike this summer. Saw a lot of minis on the trail.

It's not too good to be true. The only downsides are (1) getting the water into the little bag, with a very small opening, (2) squeezing the *(& thing, and (3) the bags can get pinholes from constant rolling and squeezing.

I didn't have much trouble with #1. For squeezing, I just sat on the bag and used my body weight to squeeze for me. Put the bag on a small piece of closed cell foam to protect it. For #3, we started with 2 of the 2-liter bags, and one had developed a pinhole after a month of heavy use for two hikers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

For $20, the Sawyer was something I considered well worth a try, and I may keep at it. But I certainly don't have it 'dialed in' yet. It makes me nervous because everything seems to be wet with dirty water, opening the door to cross contamination. Aqua Mira maintains a residual level of ClO2, so even if I do cross contaminate, I should be covered. On the other hand, Aqua Mira has questionable efficacy against Cryptosporidium. On the other other hand, Crypto presents minimal hazard to those with normal immunity. In warm weather, I guess it's a personal decision about what you're comfortable with, and the Sawyer certainly appears to be a reasonable choice.

Even with the ability to put the filter element in an inside pocket, I'm not sure I'd trust the Sawyer in winter. I've encountered supercooled water in the winter before (and had it flash freeze in a water bag). I wouldn't want flash freezing to happen in my filter. Then again, in winter I'm likely melting a lot of my water anyway, so I might as well boil it while I have the fire going.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I am on my third Sawyer squeeze and wouldn't go back to anything else. I accidentally froze the first one, so I threw it out to be safe. I use the second one (original squeeze) and third one (mini) on a regular basis in the Sierras and elsewhere. I bring the mini when I don't expect to have to filter more than 2L at a time. More than that and I get frustrated with the lower flow rate of the mini, and I go back to the larger original. The larger size is negligible in my pack and well worth the speedier flow. I've seen others claim the mini is actually faster, but I haven't found that to be true, either in home tests or (more importantly) on the trail. On a recent trip to Mt. Whitney, several parties were filtering at Trail Camp, and it amazes me that people are still out there fumbling with the Katahdin-style pump, when the squeeze is so much more convenient, less bulky, and ridiculously affordable. I use a gallon ziplock to collect water and have never had a problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Black Viper View Post
    I use a gallon ziplock to collect water and have never had a problem.
    I use a smaller ziplock but it's definitely the best way to get water into the squeeze bag. It's such a time saver for any situation other than a piped spring where the bag fits completely under the pipe.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Sawyer Squeeze (original) is faster. Works fine. Needs back-flushing about every three or four days on average.

Sawyer Mini is slower, but still very usable for one person. Works fine. Needs back-flushing once per day on average.

Back-flushing is very easy - takes about 30 seconds.

I've had no problems with the Sawyer bags leaking. Been using one or the other Squeeze version for a couple of years now. I do also use some old Platy bags (old style that fit the Squeeze) and some Evernew bladders. None have leaked. Filling is not so bad, most times you just find a "spout" of water if the bag fills completely. If a puddle, you may need to dip with a cooking pot or cup. Not a big deal, at least not a big enough deal to carry a big, bulky pump type filter.

i saw an ad in an airplane magazine for a straw filter, one unit, which claimed you could use to drink directly from ANY water source.

If you do go for the Sawyer Mini I'd suggest looking into a larger bag for it since the mini only has the smaller bags.

though if you want something with more protection

http://www.renovowater.com/

Where the Sawyer has a .1 Micron filter, the Renovo has a .05 micron filter and 3 separate filters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Sawyer Squeeze hasnt let me down in 3-4 years. I already bought another one for when it wears out if it ever does!
    With a million gallon guarantee (100,000 for the mini), you shouldn't wear it out. I too have used the squeeze for about 4 years and am anxious to see how it does in fact hold up to years of use. I have a mini in my daypack but use the original for overnight + as I like the flow rate much better.

For filling the bags in standing water, I had been using a tiny aerosol cap to scoop water to pour into the bag. But I was reading in later posts of people using zip-lock bags. I really like that idea. Hadn't thought of it actually.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    With a million gallon guarantee (100,000 for the mini), you shouldn't wear it out. I too have used the squeeze for about 4 years and am anxious to see how it does in fact hold up to years of use. I have a mini in my daypack but use the original for overnight + as I like the flow rate much better.

For filling the bags in standing water, I had been using a tiny aerosol cap to scoop water to pour into the bag. But I was reading in later posts of people using zip-lock bags. I really like that idea. Hadn't thought of it actually.
    Like I posted elsewhere, I glued two soda bottle caps together and drilled a hole through them. I use a cut off soda bottle to increase the filling area.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

++ New Posts ++