WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Umbrella yes or no?

I never hike without my umbrella and I just wanted to know if anybody else is going to take one. Most people start by laughing at me and after a while they usually say I wish I had one.

Default Umbrella yes or no?

Do you use hiking poles, and if so, how do you handle the umbrella? I ask because umbrellas have caught my eye and am considering using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Do you use hiking poles, and if so, how do you handle the umbrella? I ask because umbrellas have caught my eye and am considering using one.
    I have hiked with someone who uses one, they have a clip (two clips actually) that attach the umbrella to the back strap. With the umbrella clipped in, both hands are free to use the poles.

i was skeptical, but it seems to work well. I plan to get one, useful for both rain protection and for some mobile shade...
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I use the Montbell umbrella and i stick it under my sternum strap and let it sit on top of my head and does pretty good because I can keep my jacket open not sweat so much. It's really good with the big drops that come off the trees that usually go right through most raincoats. The worst thing is when you think you can get between two trees and we'll nope. It will keep 90 to 80% of the water off you so you're not so wet at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Do you use hiking poles, and if so, how do you handle the umbrella?
    I've tie wrapped mine to my shoulder strap and it works really well. You can get releasable/reusable tie wraps.

I've been shopping for a new umbrella and I believe these are the best choices.
    Go Lite
    Snow Peak
    Montbell

And then you have this one from Birdiepal. They say it's almost unbreakable.

It is also useful as an aditional extension of the tent entrance - straped to the front pole.

Images

Also look into the Lite Flex Swing.

When two trees are close together just collapse the umbrella alittle, walk between, then lock back into place. It should collapse to shoulder width without having to detach it from under the sternum strap and other tie off spots.

What's the weight?

Images

8 oz on my scale. It replaced my heavily used golite.

I have been thinking of the umbrella question.... is it going to cover what is needed.......is it worth the weight........
    I will be starting in mid Feb. and I feel that it will be something that I would "ditch" after about 3 to 5 days. I have a hood on the rain jacket and I have a pack cover....an umbrella is not going to do much good for the feet and legs.... that is the place where I think....good boots and maybe some "leggings" (can't think what they are called at this moment). ( Capt. Morgan has me thinking of lazy things ...)

when it rains it rains....things will get wet.... I had a Scout Mstr. that said ...." bag the bags if you fear the water"
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

What about one of those umbrella hats or a big Mexican Sombrero. Seriously.

I was thinking about this the other day after I saw the article on the Appalachiantrials blog. It seems like a good idea if it lets me ditch the rain jacket/pants, although I'm not sure that it totally would in the early days since the rain jacket and pants might be just a good extra layer to block cold wind. Once it gets a little warmer I think an umbrella would be great.

I thought about the umbrella hats too but in my mind they were too small to be really useful. Most of the hiking umbrellas are big enough to cover both you and a fair amount of your pack. The hat umbrellas would just make water drain onto your pack.

Can you all get a really big one and I'll walk with you and keep you company.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I never hike without my umbrella and I just wanted to know if anybody else is going to take one. Most people start by laughing at me and after a while they usually say I wish I had one.
    I get the same reaction to the chair I carry. Then when I'm comfortably esconced near the fire with my butt off the muddy wet ground, and a nice backrest to lean back on, I often get some envious looks. Yes, I know I'm carrying an "extra" pound and a half by taking this small luxury with me, but so what? I'm the one carrying it and I've decided that it's worth it to have a dry ass and a comfortable place to sit.

Bottom line is, carry whatever you like and if anyone gives you ***** for it, laugh it off.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I think I may carry one. It seems like a good option.
    Wired - used Go Lite on her thru hike and seemed to love. From her blog we won't have a full gear review till November or December.

Here's the link to her gear for the AT and in her blog somewhere she posts a video of how to attach it to your pack for hands free use.

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2014...ar-update.html

Lot of great info on her site also. Can't go wrong taking advice from the triple crown queen.

I also where glasses so anything that helps me keep them dry is worth it in my mind.
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 09-30-2014 at 16:37.

My wife and I carry the Raines skinny mini (5 oz). We prefer umbrellas to getting drenched from the inside while wearing raingear. The skinny mini has worked well even in hard downpours. We do carry a full rain suit if it comes to that, but only rarely has it been necessary to resort to that. Most of the time the rain is temporary and the 'brolly "works a trick" as they say in the UK.

Check out these things called Gear Ties.
    http://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-6.asp

I feel like you could get a couple of those and attach your umbrella on various spots on your pack while you're walking.
    They're really light weight and inexpensive about 2 bucks per Tie. I have used them before and they are quite strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day after I saw the article on the Appalachiantrials blog. It seems like a good idea if it lets me ditch the rain jacket/pants, although I'm not sure that it totally would in the early days since the rain jacket and pants might be just a good extra layer to block cold wind. Once it gets a little warmer I think an umbrella would be great.

I thought about the umbrella hats too but in my mind they were too small to be really useful. Most of the hiking umbrellas are big enough to cover both you and a fair amount of your pack. The hat umbrellas would just make water drain onto your pack.
    Rain gear (Jacket and pants) protects you more from the effects of hypothermia than rain itself, though they do a fair job of that. I would not go on any hike with foul weather in the forecast or long distance one without considering bringing one or both of those. Wide brimmed hats do provide a surprising amount of protection for a short time in what I call "nuisance rain" and rain showers. I have found my boots/shoes, front of my pants/legs, and torso stay more dry when I have a wide brim hat on that is reasonably water resistant. Umbrella hats I have seen numerous times without good results, usually they blow off or tree snagged and eventually are ruined.

Good info. I actually wore an older Columbia rain jacket yesterday on my walk to the bus stop instead of using an umbrella. I got maybe .1 miles before I could tell I was starting to sweat inside the jacket and wished I had brought an umbrella instead

For my thru I'm thinking I'll start with both an umbrella and a rain suit (Dri Ducks) and can send back what I don't use. The umbrella would be more for actual rain but if I find I'm not using it I'll send it home. The rain suit would be an extra layer to block wind/rain and I'm thinking at least the pants can be sent home after the Smokies until maybe the Whites. Although then what would I wear on my legs while I do laundry?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Like all pieces of gear, it depends.

If you are sticking to trails that are well maintained (no brush in the way or clambering under/over logs), why not?

I do enough off-trail hiking, scrambling and bushwhacking where an umbrella would be a hindrance for me and poles almost a necessity

Does not have to be either/or. Take it depending on the trip.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++