WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    attitude rather than gear will make for a successful trip.
    Totally agree.

Default Pocket Rocket and canister

My husband and I use a pocket rocket. We find we can do at least 5 dinners and 2 oatmeal with hot chocolate breakfasts with the small canister. All our dinners are fast cook. Boil water, add stuff, remove from heat, let sit. (instant potatoes, minute rice, stuffing mix with small cans or pouches of meat) Just experiment and you will learn what works for you and your wife.Thru hikers get caught up with light weight so they can do big miles. There is nothing wrong with averaging 12 mile per day if you are able to take the time. There is also no problem with doing the CT in sections over time. It is a wonderful trail to savor.

Images

I think you have a darn good kit, basically what I'd recommend bringing for a CT thru in terms of items, with one exception, already mentioned: No need for two pairs of pants, just the zip-off or short would work great alone. I carry zip-offs; those legs are nice at high camps in the evenings.

Also as has been said, you could save a few pounds with lighter weight versions of things, notably your pack, sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but overall, you're well equipped.

You're from Denver, so it would be nice if you haven't already done so to test out your system a few times in Colorado before your thru; I suggest a loop in the Lost Creek wilderness, there are a few, close to home, great in the fall (now!) or spring before your thru.

Finally, you probably are set with family or friends, but if you need a ride to the Waterton t/h next summer (assuming you're going SWBO), I'd be glad to do it; I did a half dozen this summer for folks.

Lake city hostel (raven's rest) has loaner clothes as well

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Yes, 5 oz lighter but only half as durable. It just takes one leak that you can't find to ruin the trip (I had Big Agnes Double Z that had an elusive leak so I am gun-shy on UL pads now).
    I have a concern about a leak as well. I put about 7 nights on my X-lite before my AT hike, the entire AT hike, & and bunch of nights afterward. Fortunately, it hasn't leaked yet. I've always been careful w/ it. When using it in a shelter (only done on the AT), I always used a ground sheet beneath it.

A close-cell foam pad (which I used for many years) is basically indestructible. Not as comfy as inflatables or self-inflating pads. The Z-lite & Ridgerest pads are both lighter than your chosen pad but heavier than the X-lite. As noted, inflatable & self-inflating pads can leak. Every choice has trade-offs. 5 oz savings on a sleeping pad is significant IMHO.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I did decide to replace my sleeping bag with a mont-bell and go with the neo-air xlite. That a few other small modifications have reduced pack weight by about a 1.5#. Not too shabby.

I would also bring a decongestant like sudafed. I needed it on the CT this past summer.

I recommend Gold Bond Friction Defense rather than the powder. It's good to put on the feet before bed and then can be used while hiking on both the feet and any chafing areas.

OK, down to about 15# if I don't take the removable brain on my pack and when I'm carrying the one-person TarpTent, which I'll take most of the way since the wife will only be joining me for a week and a half at most. Thank again, everyone!

Hello! I hiked about 300 miles on the CT a couple years ago during June and July. I hear your wife is going, so I thought I might share what I found to be useful as a woman.

No need to be super stylish-almost all of the people on the trail are bikers, and they are going by very quickly.
    Clothing:
    Pants-1 pair of Nike Legend (no chafing)
    Baselayer-Smart Wool NTS (keeps stink to a minimum) I used these for sleeping in and hiking when it got really cold.
    Shirt-anything synthetic that keeps the sun off-You are closer to the sun and above tree line.
    Rain gear-Red Ledge and/or Sierra Designs set (helps for those afternoon thunderstorms) Pants and Jacket are key.
    Sports Bra-anything quick drying
    I don't use extra underwear, because it causes chafing and takes up space.
    Jacket(s)-I get cold at night, so I have a Title Nine hooded down vest that was great for wearing under an extra down jacket at night and for that first hour or so in the morning when it's still chilly. I don't think they make that type anymore, but I used two down layers at night. I also had a Patagonia Down Sweater-full zip.
    Gloves-Mountain Hardware fleece liners
    Buff for my head to keep the sun from burning my head, or for my neck when I got cold.
    Smart Wool socks-three pairs. Two for changing out whenever my feet got sweaty and one pair for the tent. That pair can be bulkier if feet become cold easily.
    Shoes-Vasque Women's Breeze if you prefer hiking boots, Salomon Trail Runners if you prefer something lighter. I like to bring Chacos, too, because I have foot problems and like to have an extra shoe I can walk in. I know that's heavy, but that's my own preference.

Poles-highly recommended.

Tent-I have a Fly Creek UL2. Here's the deal, rainstorms in the Rockies are no joke. You have to have something that will withstand a storm at altitude. I preferred to get up early and hike until 3pm. Set up my tent and wait out the rainstorm that came every day (it seems) at 3:30. It usually ended between 5 and 6pm. Blue sky...if I felt like getting in more miles, I would actually hike until dusk. Also, if I was approaching a ridge and knew it was getting on 3pm, I would stop there for the night by the tree line and summit in the morning.

Backpack-I like Ospreys, because they have water filtration sleeves and built-in pack covers.

Water-I like insulated Camelbacks, and when you're at altitude, anything that will keep that hydration chugging is a must. Altitude headaches are bogus. I recommend 100 fl. oz., as well as two 32 oz. water bottles. There are large sections with no water on the CT, and good camping spots don't usually have water near them. I used wide mouthed Nalgenes and Katadyn Hiker Pro. Stuff freezes up there at night, so if you're using any where the water isn't easily removed, make sure it becomes your cuddle bug at night. I like boiling water and putting a Nalgene at my feet. Also, Nalgenes are tough, and you cannot have water bottles fail up there. There's not enough water for that. I know this is all heavy. I just got a Sawyer, so I'll be curious to see how it does for you.

Sleeping Bag-I use a Never Summer 0 degree, but I sleep cold. I use a women's Therma-rest NeoAir. I stuff the sleeping bag into a Sea to Summit bag to make sure it doesn't get wet.

Stove-JetBoil Sol. I drink Starbucks VIAs in the morning, because I'm addicted, so I like the little cup. Water takes forever to boil when you're that high, and I am impatient. I don't use it for anything but boiling water, though...and pouring it into Mountain House meals. Those also take longer up there, also. I like a long spoon. I sleep with the fuel canister. Jet Boils are so easy, my fingers aren't freezing after fiddling with it in the morning.

Food-Not many resupplies. Carry light food that's high in calories. Town food is very expensive...lots of tax in CO, especially those mountain towns!

Food bag-Sea to Summit-brightly colored with reflective rope, so I can find it. If there weren't any trees around or the branches were too high for me, I would find a branch to hang it on away from rodents far, far away from my camping spot. Never had a problem with bears.

Miscellaneous-
    Mini bics are good.
    Whistles are pointless...nobody's really up there, and even if they hear you, you could be miles away, depending on the echo. If you are in deep, wait for a biker to come by on the trail in the safety and warmth of the tent. I have a NOAA beacon for major issues when I'm alone, like a compound fracture, etc.
    Sunglasses-Again sunny, very sunny.
    Multi tool is good, but don't go overboard.
    TP is needed-trowel too.
    I like baby wipes, because I'm a woman. I sleep with those, too.
    Mole skin, second skin, ace bandage, and athletic tape are good.
    Light painkillers are good.
    I use REI Jungle Juice for bugs, but it's not needed all that often, because it's cold. Down by the streams, you might experience some mosquitoes, but I usually just get out of there very quickly.
    Gold bond, etc. is not needed because it's cold. Won't chafe.
    Headlamp is good-no extra batteries needed.
    Chapstick with SPF-much needed.
    SPF 40 for face-needed every day.
    Hand sanitzer.
    Bandana for a runny nose.

CT Guide-the data book sucks. I carried the full guide and took the pages out when I was staying in town as I went to save weight. I cut out the front section before I went. I didn't need a compass, because you can almost always see the sun in CO. What I really needed was the step by step directions in the full weight guide. Worth the extra weight, and fun to read at night about the 10th Mountain Division and what not.

Last but not least, I had to buy a battery pack to charge my Smartphone, which I used as a camera, a watch, an alarm, and for light communication. I came off the trail every five to seven days, and the charge didn't last for more than two or three up there. I also had a small I-pod. I kept all of this in a separate zip lock with a wall plug for when I was in civilization.

It's gorgeous up there! I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Epic advice, Sprout78. Thanks!

I like a no-sag tarp, or, tent I remedy to an extent with those elastic tie-outs line tensioners. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_AeVejzmA

practice: a taut pitch of tarp or tent is important above tree-line.

I use slip-on mesh water shoes in camp. I like to "rest" my hiking shoes. I need water shoes.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-13-2014 at 14:25.

NeoAir XLite torso length (8 ounces) worked fine for me on CT this year, and I used a small fuel canister, never needed a large one, but cooked only at night. If you need gear along the trail, the outdoor shops in the trail towns were surprisingly poorly equipped - the store in Salida, one of the larger trail towns, didn't even stock any knives, and no one in Breckenridge or any of the other towns where I stopped had Aquamira drops. No one stocked or even had even heard of Opsak, which I tried to buy because it's hard to find good food-bagging trees along the CT. The clerks at the gear stores I visited were all very nice, but none of them seemed to be backpackers, which surprised me because after all this was Colorado. At least they all had fuel canisters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++