WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: cold winter

Default cold winter

hey guys looks like its going to be a cold winter this year so i was wondering what type of gloves your taking if any looking around $50 tops.

Images

i use these under OR shells. i also carry liners. might want to up budget for winter hiking. keeping hands and feet warm are important in Jan and Feb.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

OR Research PL 400 mittens, some cheap wool glove liners, and a windproof-sorta-waterproof shell like the ones sold by Mountain Laurel Designs.

Would be nice if we could predict the weather for this winter. They're calling for everything from milder than normal to frigid. Truth is, no one knows until it's over.

Images

I pack a lightweight pair of cheap fleece gloves for cool days and a pair of gore-tex thinsulate mittens for the really cold stuff. For an early start thru I'd pack another pair of some kind of liner type gloves. Your fingers will be the first thing to get cold and that could get you in trouble. I've had my fingers get so cold even in mild cold that I could not work my Bic lighter. I also carry a flint steel & striker which is easy to work with cold fingers....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

I've always used relatively cheap rag wool gloves under nylon shell mitts for the really cold weather (teens to well below zero). Hands stay toasty warm while hiking with this combo. In camp the gloves and pockets work fine. Having glove liners rather than mitten liners as kk uses gives a bit more dexterity when needed for camp chores. Whatever you choose, include a mitten shell. Mittens are WAY more efficient at keeping the fingers warm.

In milder weather I use either silk liners and/or lighter wool "dress" gloves.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I spotted a pair of lined Dakine ski mittens at a TJ Maxx at the end of winter a couple of years ago, and they're what I'm using currently. Glove liners are cheap, and easy to wreck, so I also watch out for thin wool or polypro gloves coming into the job lot store, and buy a pair or two when they turn up. I can wear them by themselves or with the mittens.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

BTW, you can't carry too many glove/mitten combos. A single glove or wet and dirty ones are a common item I find on clean up trips to Jerry's Cabin shelter. Synthetic ones and a little Coleman fuel make a good fire starter.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

thanks guys

Go to Walmart and you may find nice fleece/thermamax whatevers---for $5. My go-to glove for several years---

Walmart fleece in action. Cheap and disposable.

Images

Uh, Tipi ? Post #9 ? Any particular reason you left them outside overnight? Pissed at them? On them?

Just askin'.

Also, what do you cover them with or do you?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Uh, Tipi ? Post #9 ? Any particular reason you left them outside overnight? Pissed at them? On them?

Just askin'.

Also, what do you cover them with or do you?
    I always take two pairs of gloves on every winter trip as one will get wet and worn wet during hiking. The above pair were wet when I got to camp and therefore left out to "sublimate" dry or whatever. In the morning I thawed them out in the tent, wrung them out like rags if needed and used them for hiking. A waterproof shell would've helped or a pair of neoprene gloves.

Anybody use neoprene?

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been using deerskin for years.Both warm and flexable not cheap and not easy to locate. Not sure what I'd use if I were a prolonged winter hiker which I currently am not. Talking 20 degree days and below, when the weather turns like that I now stay home.

I wear a different set up for different conditions...but for the most part, when it's real cold out, and not raining, I'm liking thin merino wool gloves worn as liners and a pair of cheap fleece conversion mittens. If it rains I'll throw on my "Jimmy Jam" tyvek over mitts for a bomb proof set up.

Images

Layers and spares!!!! Gloves/mittens get wet in snow and get dropped or lost. Wool or fleece gloves are fine if it's not really cold.

My most used mittens are these ragg wool mittens: http://www.amazon.com/Fox-River-Ragg...s=ragg+mittens

One decent approach is polypro liner gloves, under one or two pair of ragg wool mitts, under a nylon or goretex shell mitt. Single layer fleece mittens are OK too.

Double layered ragg wool mitts are easier to find but are usually too warm unless it's really cold.

The Dachstein mitts are great, windproof, pretty waterproof and very warm; they're much more snowproof than most wool or fleece mitts. On a long winter day hike or overnight I'll carry the Dachsteins as a backup.

I have a pair of Dakine gloves that are not insulated but a little more than liners that I use for most winter activities that aren't skiing. When I ski I have some Cabela's insulated gloves with a leather palm that work nicely. I'm thinking for my thru the Dakine gloves would work but I'm also not starting until March/April so hopefully most of the "real" winter will be gone.

On that note, I won't decide what I'm taking for gloves until a little while before leaving. Weather "experts" are awful this far out. You could throw a dart at a list of predictions and be just as accurate.

I use shells and wool inner mittens. Military surplus shells are cheap and effective, and have a trigger finger, useful for many tasks. OR shells are lighter and dry fast. I use whichever I find first when I am packing.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I wear a pair of sealskinz all weather bike riding gloves. I buy them a size bigger and they can fit a pair of merino liner gloves under them for very cold days. They are very tough, for using with poles all day, and waterproof. Best glove I've found to date.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

++ New Posts ++