WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I was planning on driving down to the vicinity of Franklin a couple of days before and hiking someplace on the trail and waiting for it. Is this feasible? I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be crazy crowds on the trail, that most people would stay in "civilized" areas with creature comforts. If it is feasible, are there any particularly good spots in that area in terms of being both remote (as in, you have to hike a good bit to get there and can't just drive up) and with a decent vantage of the sky? I'm a (very long-term) section hiker and not yet familiar with that part of the trail, but I figure this is the best way to knock off that section I'll ever get. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

My brother lives about 20 miles from ground zero of the eclipse, in Fremont County, WY. The locals are being advised to stock up on food/gas beforehand because they expect to be inundated with visitors. Wish I could be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    My brother lives about 20 miles from ground zero of the eclipse, in Fremont County, WY. The locals are being advised to stock up on food/gas beforehand because they expect to be inundated with visitors. Wish I could be there.
    This is exactly what local law enforcement in out county is advising. Our county is ground zero with my little town of Andrews dead center in the path.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This is exactly what local law enforcement in out county is advising. Our county is ground zero with my little town of Andrews dead center in the path.
    There are places in Wyoming offering a patch of dirt to camp on for a few hundred dollars. I wonder if they got any takers?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There are places in Wyoming offering a patch of dirt to camp on for a few hundred dollars. I wonder if they got any takers?
    Wayne
    I'm sure they have a few takers, but it's completely unnecessary. Outside of Alaska, Wyoming is the closest thing to the "great wide open" existing in the U.S. It's mostly BLM and Forest Service land, so if you're paying to camp it's only because you want toilets/water, etc. I know plenty of places in Fremont County where I could drive to and completely legally set up camp gratis, with a fantastic view of the Winds. There might not be anyone around for miles. I was there a few weeks ago and camped on top of a cliff up on Beaver Rim (Fremont County). Incredible views. Judging by the grass growing on the two-track unmaintained road there hadn't been anyone travelling on it for quite a while. BYOW (Bring your own water).

Of course, you'll want a 4WD to get to the good places.

Home wishing I was in the path if totality.

Of totality

I would think Albert or Rabun Bald would be good places to be.

I'm beginning to think everywhere is going to be crowded to some degree, even the places several miles off the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I would think Albert or Rabun Bald would be good places to be.
    How about on the open-deck fire tower atop Wesser Bald near the NOC? When the eclipse is done, the aliens can just swoop down and bring me home.

Some good suggestions. The closer I look, the more I see lots of options. The way the trail bends to the NE heading up to Fontana really adds a lot of available miles of trail. Very fortuitous. I imagine that most folks will cluster in a few areas. That's still some pretty remote country down there, so I have a hard time seeing all of it having crowds. The hiking community takes for granted climbs and hikes in general that most eclipse watchers wouldn't even dream of trying, and those are some big hills down there. Even if there is a crowd, it will be worth it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I'm beginning to think everywhere is going to be crowded to some degree, even the places several miles off the road.
    Its a bit ridiculous

Virtually no hotel rooms available in totality zone

People know this lasts all of two and half minutes, right?

Then huge traffic congestion leaving

Images

Just remember the weather is often cloudy in the mountains. It would be great if it is a clear day, but have a plan B.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Just remember the weather is often cloudy in the mountains. It would be great if it is a clear day, but have a plan B.
    oh Scotty, a great excuse to be hiking is always a good thing. I may be on Albert with my dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

And the hotels have been sold out for years... getting a room to help with logistics with a college move in was a total pita.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its a bit ridiculous

Virtually no hotel rooms available in totality zone

People know this lasts all of two and half minutes, right?

Then huge traffic congestion leaving
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

So, I planned my section hike this year on the PCT around the Solar Eclipse. My plan was to hike SOBO from Cascade Locks and be under the path of totality near Jefferson Park on August 21st. I had hoped to get most of Oregon completed. Yesterday, the trails around Jefferson Park were closed due to wildfire.

Something will have to give, either the amount I get done on this years section hike or the eclipse. One plan would be to get off trail near Timberland Lodge, fight the eclipse crowds to see the eclipse elsewhere, and then get back on further down the line in Oregon, covering fewer miles. Another idea would be to give up on the eclipse, eat my nonrefundable flights, and go do a Northern CA section.

Not really looking for advice, just ranting a bit here. That and praying to the Rain Gods.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Well my plans have changed. I will be home enjoying the partial eclipse. I am young enough to wait a few years to see a total eclipse. From what I can gather online for The 2024 eclipse I live about 6 miles from totality.

In 2024 I will definitely travel to the path of totality. Likely Lake Georgetown or the Hill Country. Will also double check Canyon Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    So, I planned my section hike this year on the PCT around the Solar Eclipse. My plan was to hike SOBO from Cascade Locks and be under the path of totality near Jefferson Park on August 21st. I had hoped to get most of Oregon completed. Yesterday, the trails around Jefferson Park were closed due to wildfire.

Something will have to give, either the amount I get done on this years section hike or the eclipse. One plan would be to get off trail near Timberland Lodge, fight the eclipse crowds to see the eclipse elsewhere, and then get back on further down the line in Oregon, covering fewer miles. Another idea would be to give up on the eclipse, eat my nonrefundable flights, and go do a Northern CA section.

Not really looking for advice, just ranting a bit here. That and praying to the Rain Gods.
    I would prioritize the eclipse, personally. It sucks you are forced to choose, but the skipped portions of the PCT will still be there in future years. The eclipse won't.

There is a good site that has a Google Maps plot of the path of the eclipse. It shows the centerline and when you click on a spot if gives you the Lat/Lon of the spot, exact time of the eclipse at that point. http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEn...017gmapNE.html

I'm going south of Omaha, Nebraska, near Lincoln. Pick an east west road near the center line. Find north/south roads that cross and pick a spot where it crosses center line. I have ten spots picked within 50 miles. If one doesn't work out/crowed and can move to another. I have all the points in the GPS and marked on a paper map. .

I will be in my backyard, sitting in my chaise lounge.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++