WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    You need tickets for Clingman's Dome that day, and they are already sold out. Might not be the best plan to view the eclipse in the Smokies anyway, given the likelihood of cloudy weather. I would expect tremendous traffic and gridlock in the Smokies if the weather looks good.
    Thanks for that info...I might have drive down there from Indianapolis.

St Joseph's, MO

This yr I have another excuse to visit the Foothills Trail -totality. I'll either be standing on a rock in the Chatooga River where GA, NC, and SC meet or at the Mt Sassafras summit. Rabun or Brasstown Bald might work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This yr I have another excuse to visit the Foothills Trail -totality. I'll either be standing on a rock in the Chatooga River where GA, NC, and SC meet or at the Mt Sassafras summit. Rabun or Brasstown Bald might work too.
    Wonder how crowded Sassafras will be....they have a small parking lot, maybe room for 15-20 vehicles?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

There is a site the uses Google maps to show the route of the eclipse. It gives Lat/Lon when you click on a point and the exact times.http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEn...017gmapNE.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    I made plans in March 2016.
    www.eclipse2017.org

Good viewing will be between Winding Stair Gap and Plumborchard Gap.
    Did some GPS markers in March 2016.
    I would really like to be in Depot Bay, Oregon. That is the bulls eye. You get to watch the shadow come across the ocean at you.
    Fontana is a little to north only about 90%
    The "total tunnel" is only a couple miles wide.
    Standing Indian will be in the 93% range. Franklin is in the 85 to 90% range.
    Let us all hope that the weather is clear.
    Fontana Dam is within the path of totality. That path is about 60 miles wide. While WSG is in a great place (so is Albert Mountain), there are about 140 miles of the AT that will get the full eclipse. Since we're talking about the southeast in August, being in a position to move in case of forecasted cloud cover is one reason I abandoned my plan to hike in, stay overnight, and view the eclipse.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'll be sitting behind my desk at my new job and greatful that I'm no longer unemployed.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    ..While WSG is in a great place (so is Albert Mountain), there are about 140 miles of the AT that will get the full eclipse. Since we're talking about the southeast in August, being in a position to move in case of forecasted cloud cover is one reason I abandoned my plan to hike in, stay overnight, and view the eclipse.
    that's what i was thinking albert still have the fire tower

I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? I remember experiencing (as a child) the total eclipse in the seventies. Oddly I was living at the same location I live now. I remember my grandparents had chickens and they all went into the coop when it got dark and as it started getting light again a few minutes later the roosters started crowing.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? I remember experiencing (as a child) the total eclipse in the seventies. Oddly I was living at the same location I live now. I remember my grandparents had chickens and they all went into the coop when it got dark and as it started getting light again a few minutes later the roosters started crowing.
    Night and day . . . literally. When you hit totality it is as if someone flipped a switch.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Long Trail! Finally getting another LDH in, so looking forward to it!

Default camp out 8/21 NC

Where would be the best place to camp out in NC to be in place for 8/21 event?

In Georgia the entire AT north of Woody Gap is in the TES path. I expect to see some serious crowds on Blood Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'll be sitting behind my desk at my new job and greatful that I'm no longer unemployed.
    There you go. Good job!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I should be in NJ, on the Kittatinny Ridge of the AT, with my SF buddies finishing up our leg of a charity hike for the Green Beret Foundation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    I live about 6 miles (as the crow flies) outside of the path of totality so I haven't decided whether to just stay home and enjoy an almost total eclipse or drive 8-10 miles to get inside the path. Can anyone give me some kind of an idea how much difference there would be between totality and being just outside the path? ...
    I've never seen a total eclipse, but everything I've read says that there is a HUGE difference between totality and almost totality. Even 6 miles from the path of totality is probably enough to prevent you from seeing the most striking features of the eclipse. There's a whole large part of the sun (corona) that we can't see because the photosphere is too bright . DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN UNTIL THE ECLIPSE IS TOTAL!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Viewing 6 miles from totality you might see Bailey's Beads (the sun peeking through valleys on the edge of the visible moon).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I've never seen a total eclipse, but everything I've read says that there is a HUGE difference between totality and almost totality. Even 6 miles from the path of totality is probably enough to prevent you from seeing the most striking features of the eclipse. There's a whole large part of the sun (corona) that we can't see because the photosphere is too bright . DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN UNTIL THE ECLIPSE IS TOTAL!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse#Viewing 6 miles from totality you might see Bailey's Beads (the sun peeking through valleys on the edge of the visible moon).
    its like your wearing sunglasses but you're not, very strange light.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    You need tickets for Clingman's Dome that day, and they are already sold out. Might not be the best plan to view the eclipse in the Smokies anyway, given the likelihood of cloudy weather. I would expect tremendous traffic and gridlock in the Smokies if the weather looks good.
    Clingman's Dome is pretty near the edge of totality, so it won't last very long there.
    I'm planning on heading to the Sweetwater TN area as it is darn near close to the center of the path of totality. If weather isn't looking so good, I'll look into driving somewhere else.

Journal Entries
    Images

Caney Fork River, Buffalo Valley, TN.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Does it offer a window and in the path of totality?

Yeah, I'll take the assignment under one condition... I need an office with a window facing the 2017 totality. Bet no one negotiated a job offer with that stipulation.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++