WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Strong interest,
    No idea of work schedule...
    I remain enthusiastic but non-committal and generally useless.

But a fantastic idea!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    thinking Saturday night the 17th and Sunday night the 18th of January. Thought about the weekend before, but that is really close to the whole new year's thing... would consider the following week if that worked better for others. That shelter is the one that has two fireplaces, right?
    Yes, two fireplaces. But I did not see them working the night I was there. The shelter was small and a little run down but there are places to hang near by so that is fine with me. I cannot do it the weekend of the 17th, but probably could the week before or after.

Images

There are a few nice spots to tent behind the shelter as well. I can go either weekend. There is a trail there (Timp?) where they were going to build a roller coaster or train or something up to a resort that was never completed, but started I think. Kevin knows ... Kevin seems to know everything about Harriman .
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

It's a very nice shelter .6 mi. off the AT, with unobstructed views of the nyc skyline. (At least they were unobstructed several years ago.)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Yes, two fireplaces. But I did not see them working the night I was there. The shelter was small and a little run down but there are places to hang near by so that is fine with me. I cannot do it the weekend of the 17th, but probably could the week before or after.
    When Moose and I hiked up from Beechy Bottom to tell you not to expect the rest of the party, one of the Koreans was cooking his lunch in one of the fireplaces.

I hear that the fireplace at Wm. Brien might get repaired!

Is the 17th-18th Martin Luther King weekend?

Just Bill - It would be terrific if we could actually meet on the trail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose717 View Post
    There are a few nice spots to tent behind the shelter as well. I can go either weekend. There is a trail there (Timp?) where they were going to build a roller coaster or train or something up to a resort that was never completed, but started I think. Kevin knows ... Kevin seems to know everything about Harriman .
    I'm a New York City kid originally. The first real hiking I ever did was in Harriman, and I came back a lot before I moved away for good. Once I came back to NY, I took my daughter hiking some in Harriman, because it's a lot easier than most of the trails in the Catskills and Adirondacks. So I've been there a lot, along with people who knew the stories. For me it's always been more about the tales than the trails.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We're in if you'll have us! Of course this year I'll be more careful of pack weight (I'll make the kid carry it all )
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    We're in if you'll have us! Of course this year I'll be more careful of pack weight (I'll make the kid carry it all )
    I'll carry the cookies.

Journal Entries
    Images

This time I think it would be best if Snacktime and I had our car parked at the first bailout near the first shelter. Then, if weather turns or we peter-out, we'll have an easier self-rescue. Mind, it's not my plan to need one, but a silly Teacher I'd be if I didn't let history teach me.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Oh Teacher ... I hope you guys come! It'll be great to see you guys again since I had to bail on VA ... getting a lot of sewing projects done though and convinced my dh to re-tile the kitchen floor

Images

And I'll help you carry stuff too!

We could also help ya maybe par down your gear kinda like a Mountain Crossing shake down, might be able to come up with some lighter options to lighten your load. I'm thinking of getting a helicopter to air drop me in, hate all those pesky hills, love hikin on top.

Journal Entries
    Images

Our plan is to come if it's good with the group. I've learned much about what I don't actually need, so I suspect that even with winter gear I should be able to decrease at least about 10lbs off the pack. And if we just make sure we get an early enough start then the dark shouldn't be a factor. Of course I'm no faster than I was before, though Snacktime certainly is!

I'd love seeing you guys again!

Images

MLK weekend.......I'm in

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    It's a very nice shelter .6 mi. off the AT, with unobstructed views of the nyc skyline. (At least they were unobstructed several years ago.)
    One of my best memories of last year's trip was waking up around 1am, after a nice restorative nap, to the quiet and stillness of the night in the woods, but a glowing sky in the distance. It was freezing, but I was warm. Snacktime was talking in his sleep and Coach was doing a bit of grumbling...or perhaps snoring...after an initial "Jeanne, is that you?" when I first arose from my cocoon. I sat at the edge of that shelter and just enjoyed the quiet and the site of all the folks around me and the tents all about until the chill eventually drove me back under covers. Then we woke to the falling snow, and it was even more beautiful.

I think seeing the NYC skyline would have been even more stunning.

AT 2012

...so let's pick a weekend in January. The 10th, 17th or 24th. All work for me.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...so let's pick a weekend in January. The 10th, 17th or 24th. All work for me.
    All of those are good for me too.

works for me.

AT 2012

if coach lou can make it either the 10th or the 24th weekend it looks like we can get imscotty and all other responders to go. ...well? sort of important to have cheesecake.
    Lazarus

I'm thinkin' about it...we'll see.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++