WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

I'll be getting there later than that on Friday, I have to get my son to daycare before I can hit the road. I'm mostly playing it by ear as far as when I get there and where I park.
    No worries, just give me a rough idea and I will tailor my route accordingly. Lotsa options! I'll pm with cell #.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-09-2017 at 23:32.

Hi all, sorry so late in the game but I've been hiking up in Vermont and missed much of this thread. I was going to be heading back down to NYC on Friday but I would love to spend a couple nights in Harriman with fellow WBers.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    Hi all, sorry so late in the game but I've been hiking up in Vermont and missed much of this thread. I was going to be heading back down to NYC on Friday but I would love to spend a couple nights in Harriman with fellow WBers.
    You're certainly welcome to join us. So far the plan is to spend Friday night at the Fingerboard Shelter, Saturday night at the Bald Rocks shelter, and then hit the Sunday brunch at the Bear Mountain INN. During that feast we'll decide about Sunday night.
    Are you familiar enough with the park to find your way? There is no set time for arrival, everyone just gets there when they can.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    No worries, just give me a rough idea and I will tailor my route accordingly. Lotsa options! I'll pm with cell #.
    How did your snowpack survive the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    How did your snowpack survive the rain?
    With the warm weather, it ain't lookin' good... and some rain tomorrow.

Looking at the timing, however, the forecast is for no freezing again until Friday night (17°F) but fortunately remaining below freezing thru later in the day Sunday, which is good for us. At this point I'd still say microspikes are a good idea. Friday could be a real muck-fest until the temp drops.

Images

With the warm weather, it ain't lookin' good... and some rain tomorrow.

Looking at the timing, however, the forecast is for no freezing again until Friday night (17°F) but fortunately remaining below freezing thru later in the day Sunday, which is good for us. At this point I'd still say microspikes are a good idea. Friday could be a real muck-fest until the temp drops.

I agree.............

Sounds good, and yes i know park pretty well. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    You're certainly welcome to join us. So far the plan is to spend Friday night at the Fingerboard Shelter, Saturday night at the Bald Rocks shelter, and then hit the Sunday brunch at the Bear Mountain INN. During that feast we'll decide about Sunday night.
    Are you familiar enough with the park to find your way? There is no set time for arrival, everyone just gets there when they can.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    Sounds good, and yes i know park pretty well. Looking forward to it. Thanks!
    Ok, see you there!

I did the recon hike today and the snow is completely gone and virtually zero ice as well. It was pretty muddy, in fact. People can use their own judgement concerning microspikes, but I'm not taking them. Even if everything I saw today froze solid as is, it would still be easy IMO to negotiate around the occasional ice patch. The largest patch of ice I saw was at Times Square!

The Fingerboard shelter roof was completely replaced and looks great. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the woods road they used to bring in the material, although the muddy ruts will naturally improve come spring and summer. As for springs, the one down the hill from the shelter is very reliable for water collection. And many of the smaller streams are also running.

I made a dayhike of it and also went down to Bald Rocks shelter, which is not nearly as nice as Fingerboard shelter... it is not as roomy and there is no wood floor in it.

fingerboard02.jpg fingerboard03.jpg 20170112_133522.jpg times_square.jpg

Images

I did the recon hike today and the snow is completely gone and virtually zero ice as well. It was pretty muddy, in fact. People can use their own judgement concerning microspikes, but I'm not taking them. Even if everything I saw today froze solid as is, it would still be easy IMO to negotiate around the occasional ice patch. The largest patch of ice I saw was at Times Square!

The Fingerboard shelter roof was completely replaced and looks great. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the woods road they used to bring in the material, although the muddy ruts will naturally improve come spring and summer. As for springs, the one down the hill from the shelter is very reliable for water collection. And many of the smaller streams are also running.

I made a dayhike of it and also went down to Bald Rocks shelter, which is not nearly as nice as Fingerboard shelter... it is not as roomy and there is no wood floor in it.

fingerboard02.jpg fingerboard03.jpg 20170112_133522.jpg times_square.jpg

Thank You, Sir

Images

I am now a definite. Packed up and ready to roll. Should be a Fingerboard at dark if everything goes as planned. Will be coming back after brunch. Look forward to seeing everyone. Weather is a dramatic improvement over forecast from a couple of days ago. Could be doing some cowboy camping!
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

AT 2012

Hey all, I am glad to see your weather looks mild for a change, and will miss being with you. I sure hope to see see you next year!
    Lazarus

Images

Let the fun begin!

See ya'll on Saturday.

SNAFU here at my place, but I hope to join in on Saturday at Bald Rocks.

-Glogg

Have fun out there!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Enjoy everyone. One of these days I will arrange it so I can be out east over MLK Day and join you.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

No go for me... still at work and have to work tomorrow.

have fun- cheers!

A few photos from the trip. The weather worked out really well and included a dusting of snow Saturday afternoon/evening that added a real sparkle to the landscape, although it will not be around for very long with the warm temperatures expected for at least a week. It was great seeing some folks from last year and once again partaking of Couch Lou's cheesecake and also being introduced to rafe's Honey JD which has become my new fave trail beverage! And it was fantastic to meet and hike with Lunatic and to meet the awesome Malto who is in a rarefied league that is occupied by few others. Also a huge pleasure to spend some time with Another Kevin and appreciate his encyclopedic knowledge of Northeast trails. Harriman is practically my backyard but AK knows ten times more about it than I do, that's for sure!

AFAIK only LIHikers (Paul and Kathy) were the only ones hitting the trail after Sunday brunch at Bear Mtn Inn and were planning to camp Sunday night at Brien Shelter.\

My pooch Cyrus posing on the stream near Pine Mtn Swamp. No snow at all and plenty of water in many running streams.
    MLK2017-01a.jpg

Sunrise Saturday morning at my camping spot near Fingerboard Shelter
    MLK2017-02.jpg

Another Kevin, Elf, Coach Lou (green puffy, back to camera!) and Malto at Fingerboard shelter Saturday morning.
    MLK2017-03.jpg

Elf, AK and Lunatic on the hike out Sunday morning
    MLK2017-04.jpg

Lunatic, Elf and AK enjoying the light dusting of snow... it won't be around long, but we made the most of it!
    MLK2017-06.jpg

Love the dog! He's like "And my Human made me wear my bed! And my food! &$^$*#!!!!"

LOL but not to worry... he's 65 lb and his total pack weight was 5.4 lb!

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
++ New Posts ++