WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you Moon the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington?

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Chomp the Pedophile. Enjoys showing his ass to children. Hmmm.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Guess your mama never taught you the "If you don't have something nice to say..." lesson.

Actually, come to think of it, did you mama ever teach you anything? Apparently all you learned is "When an argument isn't going your way, resort to personal attacks."

I wasn't arguing. My mom died when I was 8.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mooning the Cog...

i thought Pigeon Forge (Gatlinburg's "shopping paradise" neighbor..full of outlet malls & too much traffic & tourists that never see the Smoky Mtns!)

was the arm-pit of Tennessee!

see ya'll up the trail in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Dead_Head_Engineer

Default The Stink Coach

Hiking past that damn train with a slight wind is horrible. Hurts like the dickens, scratches the eyes with coal bits, stinks and is and eye sore. but it gets the old people to the top.
    Dead_Head_Engineer:dance

HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!! Moon the train in 04.... ....I'M IN!
    Focus Determines Reality

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Moonage Factor

Yea.....Moonage. I'm with the non-mooners on this one. Hate to say it guys, 'cause I like to have a good time...and you give me a coupla' Gran Maniers and I'll do most anything, but moon the cog....god,,,,that's funny. I just think...well, I basically am a loner hiker...so I'd be up there all alone, ya' know, and I'd drop trou, and some little kid'would squeell...ooooo, mama look at the stupid old man, standin' there with no clothes on, think he needs some help?....I'd have to slink off like a dumbass and hope they didn't see my little thingy. So much for moonin' the Cog. KZ@
    Last edited by Kozmic Zian; 02-16-2004 at 15:03.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

For a change of pass lets all just hike nude the day we pass under the train. We can all hang around there. Think of it train goes by expecting to see a bunch of people moon them and there are 15 some od hikers standing around nude.
    A-Town

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost. "
    -- JRR Tolkien

Default How ironic

Koz wrote:
    I'd be up there all alone, ya' know, and I'd drop trou, and some little kid'would squeell...ooooo, mama look at the stupid old man, standin' there with no clothes on, think he needs some help?....I'd have to slink off like a dumbass and hope they didn't see my little thingy.
    Geez, that's exactly what happened to me!

Images

I remember when I was about eight or so, I was on a family vacation to Disney world. My parents were too poor to afford airfare, so we drove from NH to Florida. About half way there in our Toyota mini-van I thought it would be a good idea to squeeze myself in the spot between the back seat and the rear window. I proceeded to drop my drawers and moon the people behind us for about 100 miles until my parents found out. They were REALLY angry. I'm 26 now, and now that their responsibility for disiplining me is over, they let me know that that was their favorite part of the vacation.

Now that my little story is over, I have to make a point, or at least try to. It seems to me that as I get older I am starting to notice more and more people who believe it is their responsibility to be the moral authority for the public masses. Are you so sure that you know what is right? Are you sure that you know what is right for everyone else? If it doesn't harm you directly, or those around you directly, why do you care so much? Does it cause irreprable dammage to you or your loved ones if Joe Pothead smokes a joint outside of a shelter? Does it cause you migraines if someone Blueblazed all the way to Katahdin? Is catching a glimpse of an a$$ cheek going to scar you mentally and emotionally for life?

I think people should worry more about the 3 foot sphere that surrounds themselves, and worry less about what is going on outside of that sphere. I may choose not to moon the train, but I won't get upset if someone does. I would most likely giggle for 20 seconds, and then start inching my way towards Katahdin again.

Just remember that wars are fought and people are dying because someone else thought the way they were living was wrong. Sorry for the rant.

I am being a hypocrate. Who am I to preach to you. Do what you want. Be angry at people for mooning the train. I'm going to hike to Katahdin and keep my mouth shut.

Default To moon or not moon?

For the record I've mooned it and carried a souvenir lump of coal to Katahdin. Always thought about riding the train and doing it back to the hikers though. As far as the "offended" crowd, I'll wager most are above the age of 18 and think they are protecting their children. A friend of mine has two boys (ages 4and 6) they SURPRISED ME when my friend told them it was time to change for bed. They took of all their clothes and ran around the house starkers until she got them to sit still to put on their PJs. Nudity doesn't bother the young until they start learning modesty from society (which the 6y/o is beginning to learn). A few moments of seeing someone's pale backside is not that bad and won't really hurt anyone. It's better than a possible perv lurking near a public rest room ready to abduct a child and do unspeakable acts (IMHO pervs deserve to be tied to the tracks!)

I walked up Washington from the Cog Train station last summer and rode the Cog back down. I did this with my wife and 14 year old son. Several hikers mooned us from about 100 yards away. It was the first I had ever heard of the tradition.

In a silly way, it was fun for the people on the train. There were lots of kids, but I didn't see any adults hiding their kids from the event.

Sitting there on the train, I decided that I would moon the train on my thru-hike. I have no idea why. But I will. And it will not likely be the dumbest thing I do on the hike.

Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Default Mooning the cog

Truly, even tho I am a senior citizen, I had entertained thoughts of mooning the cog. Unfortunately, it was so foggy, freezing and cold on good ol' Mt. Washington when I went over that I basically had no idea where I was. I practically tripped over the rails. Having safely gotten over them I was then totally shocked to hear the cog's whistle. I had no idea a train was that close to me. I was so thankful that I wasn't run over by the cog that I forgave it, right then and there and figured mooning would serve no practical purpose, anyway.
    Two Hats

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

It is a nasty practice and very immature. Not the way to change the world - if that's what folks want to do. I object to filth!

i remember the trail going under the tracks not over them....

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freighttrain
    i remember the trail going under the tracks not over them....
    The trail definitely goes over the tracks.

yup. over.

Maybe this will help. Heading north from the summit on the Gulfside Trail/AT, the trail crosses the tracks, turns left, and follows along the tracks on the side of the Great Gulf. It soon comes to the junction of the Westside Trail that skirts the summit. The Westside Trail (not part of the AT) immediately goes under the cog tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    The Cog Railway is an affront to the Mountains. It is singularly out of place and is an anachronism that simply doesn't belong there.
    It is hard to overstate this level of 'affront'. beyond what's been mentioned, the cog operates with a huge disrespect for the mountain.... the whole cog- side of the mountain is littered with discarded and rotted rr timbers, creosote buckets, and piles of various RR/industrial trash. I wrote WMNF about this last summer, and also wrote a LTE to the Conway newspaper. No publication, and no response from the FS. i don't mind the mooning, but maybe instead of baring our asses we could form an advocacy group to get the mountain cleaned up. it would be a positive step. C

The Cog was there long before the Forest Service. It's a money maker. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Same as the Auto Road. Been there since Christ was a corporal. We all gots to live in harmony.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++