WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fundy Trek record has been established at 34:48 by Tim Barry

So Margaret and I are going to get a taste of Fundy Trailrunners Tim Barry's Fundy Trek (140.7 km with 4605 meter elevation gain in 34h:48m.) We are going to hike in to Little Salmon River today, and find our way back on Sunday. Will drive in and check out access routes from the extended Fundy Trail Parkway, then figure out where to leave the car, where to leave the bikes, and where to hike in and hike out. Shooting for 14.07 km on the foot with 460.5m elevation gain in 34h:48m. That would be 1.0 deciBarries, but 2.0 deciBarries if you count both of us. ;-) Thanks for the inspiration Tim. :-)
    https://www.facebook.com/fundy.trail.9

Beautiful scenery. Trail is a real butt kicker along the 50km Fundy Footpath. It's been done in 15-16 hours. Dobson trail is no picnic either. Actually it is a wonderful picnic, if you take your time. :-)

Logistics:
    Margaret is starting our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend at a sleepover, so we will bug out at 10am (2hrs from now) and be back for turkey on Sunday at 6pm. 2 hours of driving leaves 36 hours. We will include some biking to an access point on Saturday, but might hike back all the way to the car on Sunday and drive back to the bikes. It's an option that gives up two possible exit points. Should be fun. Will have lunch in St.Martins so 24h of food should do. Call that 2 pounds dry for the two of us. She weighs 110 pounds and I weigh 220 pounds but I have ample fat to burn, so 1 pound each. Will leave another pound of food with the bike.

Temperature and Clothing:
    Weather should be nice. Chance of rain this afternoon with highs of 55F and lows of 40F. So we could go ultralight, but I think we will use this as a trial for longer fall hikes with temperatures down to 30F. My rule of thumb is 1 ounce of clothing per degree below 80F plus shells and shoes, so could get by with 2 pounds but will go with 3 pounds for me, and probably same for Margaret. Not sure on tent yet. She will decide, and I will carry it. She can carry her own clothes and sleeping bag now. :-)

Will do mostly hiking. But I think when we do get to Little Salmon River we will explore some, and maybe run up the switchbacks toward Fundy. It is about a 600 foot climb out of the valley over a mile. It's a butt kicker for sure. Might leave that for Sunday morning prayers. :-)

Hike went well. Got to Seely Beach where Margaret practiced her knife and fire skills. Hope to go again in November.

++ New Posts ++