WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Goodwill Find

Default Goodwill Find

I do a lot of buying and selling of used items and am always surprised when I find quality backpacking gear at a thrift store. I'm not sure how the shopping is up north but I don't generally find much backpacking gear at thrift stores down here in Florida. Today was one of those days, though! A pair of almost brand new Vasque boots for $10! Doing some research online, however, I haven't been able to figure out which boots these are. They have the old logo but are Made in China and have removable "variable fit system" insoles. They kind of remind me of Skywalks but none of the pictures I've been able to find online match. Can anyone help?
    0607141705a.jpg 0607141705.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Ignore the cat. I thought I deleted that picture. She thought this was LOLCats, I guess.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

I just bought some Vasque Breeze 2.0 and love them. Even the inner soles that came with them are good

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Nice find! This is why I go to Second hand stores all the time looking for gear.

The boot look like the old Skywalker boots Vasque made in the late 1980s into 90s. I loved those boots, too. The "Made in China" label concerns me. As far as I know or can tell, Vasque made all of their boots in Italy. Sites that retail used boots along with private sellers all make a point of saying they are Italian made.

The true Skywalk boots were made in Italy and had a goretex liner in them (very progressive for that point in time). Here are some sites where people are selling these vintage boots; (http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/gall...resFound/73620) and (https://www.etsy.com/listing/9332993...ywalk-gore-tex). The second site look closer to what your photo shows but apparently are not made in China.

Made in China would suggest to me that they're cheap knockoffs and not the real thing.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Not a cheap knockoff - Vasques are now made in China. Have been for at least 10 years, more likely 20 years...

++ New Posts ++