Jeremiah had a horse Buttcrack Johnson's Avatar

Default Looking for winter hikers

I am looking for winter hiking partners around the central section. I live in Winter Springs/Seminole county. I am a 53 year old male. I might take my granddaughter on occasions.

poppy

I am looking to do the Smokey's section from Clingman's Dome to I-40. My schedule is flexible and it shoud be a four-day hike.

CPT Kirk

I just did the 73 miles from Fontana to Davenport Gap 3 weeks ago. I am looking for Florida Trail hikers for this winter.

PM me and we can discuss specifics if you like.

Short version is I drive down for a weekend whenever I have time and funds in order to day hike a section. I am hiking each section consecutively and have no desire to mix that up (my own little OCD quirk). See my posts on FNST section day hike for more about this.

My last hike had me doing the section between Clearwater Lake Rec Area and the Cassia trailhead. I will be continuing on from there so I guess not too far from you. I am open to someone to shuttle with.

I know its a bit out there, but this January at the 5th Annual Florida Hang, we usually do a couple of hikes, one of which is the Alexander Springs to Farles hike.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I am trying get everything lined up to go hiking this weekend fom the Cassia Trailhead to the Lake Mary area. I don't have my map in front of me to know the exact trailheads. If I can't make it this weekend, I am reasonably certain I will be down for a long weekend over the Veteran's Day holiday. In fact I will probably spend a couple of days hiking around Veteran's Day whether I can make this weekend or not.

I'm afraid my hikes are determined by where I am on my section hike and I am not interested in jumping around. That said, anyone interested in joining me is welcome. Please PM and we can discuss details.

I am planning the hike after the holidays. I am also thinking of joining Florida Trail Association just to get some good maps of the trial.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    I know its a bit out there, but this January at the 5th Annual Florida Hang, we usually do a couple of hikes, one of which is the Alexander Springs to Farles hike.
    My wife is coming to that..

Need more info on Florida Hang, Is that OK for grandkids (12 to 15 years old)? Where is it? What is it? It sounds interesting.

Found It.............I will be there. That's a 45 minute drive for me. Thank you so much........https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ida-Hang-(FHV)

Quote Originally Posted by poppy-pj View Post
    I am planning the hike after the holidays. I am also thinking of joining Florida Trail Association just to get some good maps of the trial.
    I don't mean to discourage you from joining the FTA and the sections of trail that cross private land often require it, but one can purchase maps without joining the FTA.

The FTA has maps (good or not is up to you). Also, the Delorme Florida Gazeteer 10th Edition includes the Florida trail on its maps, though not in any great detail and without mileage. It can be helpful to find trailheads or road crossing though. There are some National Forest and State agency (water management?) maps that are also useful. I think I preferred the Ocala National Forest map that I downloaded free over any other when I hiked that section.
    Last edited by perrymk; 11-07-2014 at 07:10.

The Ocala National Forest map Is good....thanks........ A few questions.
    If I hike from Ocala NF on the FNST on the east branch to Orlando wil I cross private land that needs FTA permits?
    Is the FNST well marked with orange blazes even in transition areas (forest to roads to rail beds)? or can it be iffy sometimes?

I don't recall any private land in the ONF. Most of the trail blazing is iffy, very little is really good. I still manage though with only a few wrong turns or random wanderings.

++ New Posts ++