WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Can a hunter explain this style of "hunting" to me? Here is how I see it. Please tell me where I'm wrong:

You aren’t good enough at hunting to stalk an animal and shoot it with a high powered rifle/scope, so you need a pack of dogs to corner/tree the animal so you can shoot it from spitting distance. Meanwhile, the dogs are running around for days wreaking havoc on every living thing that they encounter. Does that sum it up?

Are these just a few careless hunters or is that really how it works? Weren't fox hunts banned on similar grounds?
    The two deer hunting clubs I belonged to detested people using dogs to run deer. The dogs would be caught on our game cameras all the time, running through PRIVATE LEASED LAND, and throwing the deer population out of whack. A few older gents threatened to corral the dogs (or worse). Imagine you're in a stand or stalked a deer, just getting ready to pull the trigger, and all you hear are a pack of dogs howling and barking and next thing you know, they've just run all over your area.

A lot of "good ol boys" here in SE NC swear by running dogs to hunt deer. To me that's not hunting.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries

Dog hunting is a very old southern tradition. There are more deer in the US today than when Columbus set sail. Deer thrive with cutovers, they produce browse and cover. Not so much in mature forests. 100 years ago, you could go a whole season in parts of the south and not see a track. Deer had to be hunted with dogs to kill ANY. Deer were also imported from up north and restocked in the south.

Whether chasing coons at night, deer, hogs, or even bear, dog hunting is a lot of fun for some folks. It combines breeding, training, as well as hunting. Not defending the hunters at all, but too many close minded city folk here that think locals should be barred so we can hike on lands 12 mo out of the year without being inconvenienced. Sorry, that is faulted thinking.

Yes, someone should be responsible for any damage their dogs cause. But, anyone venturing out on public land must also be aware of other legal use going on, and be willing to take some responsibility for their well being.

As always, it doesn't matter if you are in the right, if you are dead.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-23-2014 at 21:37.

Fellow hikers,

Please consider signing this petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...arged/pTJnSbzw

I hope you realize this is not about attacking hunting dogs or taking away hunter's rights. This is about holding dogs accountable for their behavior, whether its my dog who bites you or a hunting dog who bites you or attacks your hiking companion (dog). As the law is currently written, hunting dogs are exempt from being labeled aggressive. If these encounters are so rare, hunter should have no fear in losing this protection, and this will protect you as a hiker if this were to ever happen again (it gives law enforcement the ability to cite an owner for having an aggressive dog).

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...arged/pTJnSbzw

NC dog bite law as a reference: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/n...dangerous-dogs

And if you live in NC state or wish to support this move, please follow "Justice for Kadie" at Facebook where you will see a form letter you can send to legislators or senators. You do NOT have to be a NC resident. As a user of these trails and other trails in NC, you have the right to be heard.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++