WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I reread the OP. Bigtoe has been an athlete all his life, he knows about nutrition, bulking up, loosing wt, training etc. I could learn a lot from him.
    He did ask about equipment.
    Big Toe: The Cottage industry folks really know their stuff about sewing. a longer tent should be within easy range , A slightly modified double sleeping bag might work well. 2- 20" regular air mattress would be wide enough, for your feet, a short mattress or some mattresses can be cut down safely. ( check with manufacturer about weight limits, or custom availability) You know where to get athletic clothing your size, so they could likely make hiking clothing ( fleece top & bottom, wool longies,wool Tshirts etc. Wool Socks Darn tough? You'll need a pack (1 1/2 normal size)? I would think most of the Expedition manufactures make many fewer equipment pieces so that it's almost custom made. All your stuff is much larger so a 100-130 L pack with longer shoulder straps hip belt etc. I'm thinking should be within range. The folks that make -60 down jackets should be able to make you a 0-10* jacket. All these cottage folks know their stuff about sewing. You've been big for a long time, so you know about custom clothing. Money? Oh yeah it's going to be expensive! Particularly on a Subtitiute teachers salary, Maybe you could get a few endorsement deals. I'm sure you know how to do the fight score win thing. So fight score win, White Blaze folks will help.

I feel your pain. Although I am not as tall as you I was also an OL in college (30 years ago). I am still 6'3 and weigh 320. My son also played in college and he still weighs 275. We found that the most important things to a successful backpacking trip are. Base layers. Underarmor boxer briefs. Wicking and long enough to prevent chaffing. No problem with fit there. Pack, my issue has always been a large enough pack (face it your underwear is larger than most peoples whole wardrobe) and suspension. I recommend a Gregory Palasades or larger. Very adjustable with larger hip belts available. MOST IMPORTANT boots, if your feet give out you are screwed. You need a good foundation, and your increased size will wear them out quicker that a normal sized hiker will. I use Kayland and love them in a 14. They may have 16 you will have to check. The previous post about military issue mountain combat boots may be your best bet. Try a pair and if they work plan on at least three pair for your hike. Good luck.

Bigtoe,

Try Campmor's website...i think it is www.campmore.com as they have a big and tall section. Also look at http://www.bigcamo.com/

Good Luck!!!!
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Journal Entries
    Images

Well you gear junkies covered the subject very well

Here is another Football guy discussing his weight and psychology about 3 minutes in

But take a moment and watch the whole thing...because he completed the journey.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm a huge fan of Keen boots (http://keenfootwear.com/) and I know they have sizes all the way up to 17W. I can personally reccomend the Targhee II Mid, a pair of those took me halfway through the trail. I've known a couple larger guys who use Keen and they can't say enough about them.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++