WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail name?

Default Trail name?

I just had an argument with my Triple Crown hiking partner about whether to give yourself a trail name or be given a trail name on the trail. I was asking her about some trail names I came up for myself and she says that it would be better to be named on the trail because that's part of the spirit of a Appalachian Trail thru hike. So I ask you is she right or is it no big deal anymore.

Images

I gave myself the trail name of "second hand" because I get most, if not all, my gear second hand. I was happy with the choice to give myself the trail name. I was doing a section hike in CT and chatting with some thru-hikers a few years ago while eating cheeze-wiz and wheat thins, when one of the hikers declared, "if you don't have a trail name, I'm naming you cheeze-wiz"

Nothing against the name Cheeze-Wiz, but I feel like Second Hand is a bit truer to my persona.

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I just had an argument with my Triple Crown hiking partner about whether to give yourself a trail name or be given a trail name on the trail. I was asking her about some trail names I came up for myself and she says that it would be better to be named on the trail because that's part of the spirit of a Appalachian Trail thru hike. So I ask you is she right or is it no big deal anymore.
    If you name yourself it isn't a trail name but rather a nickname. I read this in Yogi's PCT guide. I agree with her.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Bottom line is that it's a nickname, no more, no less... It it fits it fits if it doesn't it doesn't.

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called what you want to be called.

Basically, if you're over the age of 12 years old both physically and mentally, then don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-19-2014 at 08:36.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Bottom line is that it's a nickname, no more, no less... It it fits it fits if it doesn't it doesn't.

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called whar you want to be called.

Basically, if you're over the age of 12 years old both physically and mentally, then don't worry about it.
    Agreed!...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

The whole idea of the "trail" giving you a name is kind of BS. If you're given a name while hiking that fits you and your personality then great, go with it., Then again if you're hiking and you bump into some neckbeard who tries to give you a monicker that makes no sense then tell him to go scratch and keep being called whar you want to be called.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Agreed!...
    Even the French Foreign Legion will let you make up your own nom de guerre.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    it wasn't a big deal 28 years ago when i named myself. it's a non-issue

I named myself also, it fits and it stuck. Now when I hike the trail and get a name that suits better, it may change.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

If you let the Trail decide your name, then don't be upset when it turns out to be Mud Butt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Irrelevant really.
    A name imposed on you by friends and hiking partners may hold some sentiment that a self chosen name doesn't.

People choose names often based on how they see themselves.
    People are given names often based on how others see them.

As
    Long as it works, ie is basically unique, it works. Picking a name that is common is kind of questionable, might as well use "Mike" if you choose strider, hiker ...., etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-19-2014 at 10:50.

Images

I'm not there for the "spirit". I'm there to complete a thru-hike. My Scouts named me "Old Hiker" decades ago. It was on a trail. It's my trail and Trail name.

If I recall, Trail names were to differentiate between all the Joes, Bobs, Anns and Bettys (Betties?) on the Trail.

My problem is: I'll remember your face forever after seeing it a couple of times. I won't remember your name after 5 minutes unless I have been in fairly close proximity for a LONG time. Don't take it personal if I just say, "Howdy" a lot.

I take memory pills, but they don't help unless you remember to take them.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

The only names I remember on the trail are trail names. There are too many people with common names and I forget almost immediately unless I've spent some time with them. I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself a trail name especially if you hike solo and don't hang around other hikers that much. It would seem to me that you have to be hanging around a lot of the same hikers for a while to be given a trail name. It would seem pretty rude to assign a trail name to someone you just met although I'm sure that happens. I gave myself my trail name but I got the idea when I was sitting on the side of the AT at the north end of the Roller Coaster using my Jetboil to make coffee around 10 am (as is my custom most of the time) and a hiker coming down the trail exclaimed "Coffee!" referring to what I was drinking.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Skywalker's (Bill Walker) explanation always makes me smile:
    One trail veteran had advised me to choose my own trail name. This advice would seem especially prescient after I met thru-hikers with such illustrious names as Snot Rag, **** Bag, Rat Puke, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    Skywalker's (Bill Walker) explanation always makes me smile:
    One trail veteran had advised me to choose my own trail name. This advice would seem especially prescient after I met thru-hikers with such illustrious names as Snot Rag, **** Bag, Rat Puke, to name a few.
    And just think, those are some of the nice ones.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

you've hike all three trails and no one gave yous a trail name yet??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you've hike all three trails and no one gave yous a trail name yet??
    No my hiking partner just finished her triple crown quest I just haven't gotten around to doing a thru hike yet. Been hiking the AT all my life but never had time money or guts to do a thru hike. Next years the year and I know I can do it now.

I'm a hasher and H3's have rules about trail names.... but otherwise, I figure it was kind of fluid

Journal Entries
    Images

In 78 no one really used them. My 2 army buddies who started used an army nickname. But they dropped off way before I. Then them kids of mine..... caught on and gave me one.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    If you name yourself it isn't a trail name but rather a nickname. I read this in Yogi's PCT guide. I agree with her.
    A trail name IS a nick name.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

so this yogi person is the expert?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++