WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: hunter / hiker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You've rigged the game here by only including the budgets of the agencies that manage wildlife.
    Right you are. Also, folks with agendas to prove often prop up argument with the proposition that equations can exist in the abstract on one side of the equals mark only.

If I pay $25 for a fishing license, but take $100 worth of fish, I haven't paid but have been paid. Same if hunters pay $1,000,000 in fees and taxes, but take $1,000,000 worth of game. The bottom line is zero.

Reminds me of something I was told early in my career. "I don't care if you tax me at 100%, so long as I get to determine what is taxed."
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Who decided the value of a fish ? Is a stocked fish worth more or less ? Complete nonsense, a very feeble attempt to "prop up your arguement"

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I take issue with the idea that hunters who break the rules are not hunters. This is just rhetorical trick that allows you to control the debate by making hunter a virtuous outdoorsman by definition.

You have to take frog warts and all, so to speak.

A hunter is someone who hunts. period.

As a hunter and land owner, my issue with a large subset of hunters is that they do not respect property rights and do so while carrying firearms. Not someone I want around when my children are playing in the woods.

I've never had a hiker trespass, dump a deer carcass on my land, or discharge a firearm within 100 feet of my house. Hunters have done all of these things.

Plenty of hunters are not virtuous outdoorsmen. At least not around these parts.

And they don't hike.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Right you are. Also, folks with agendas to prove often prop up argument with the proposition that equations can exist in the abstract on one side of the equals mark only.

If I pay $25 for a fishing license, but take $100 worth of fish, I haven't paid but have been paid. Same if hunters pay $1,000,000 in fees and taxes, but take $1,000,000 worth of game. The bottom line is zero.

Reminds me of something I was told early in my career. "I don't care if you tax me at 100%, so long as I get to determine what is taxed."
    Of course, most hunters I know are extremely entitled and think that they already own the game so that they are somehow paying for something that should be theirs for free.

Come to think of it, I can think of few groups of people in this country that act more entitled than hunters. That goes a long way towards explaining why so many of them trespass, poach, violate seasons and bag limits, complain about government overreach when they get caught, and expect non-hunters to pat them on the back for being such great conservationists. Oy.

Wow, all this animosity towards hunters, where does it come from? After all, aren't we all Hunters? Well, unless you're a vegan, than you're just a Gatherer

I don't see conflicts between hunters and hikers, but then again there are 10 days a year I don't hike--during firearms deer season...I just don't like being in the woods with a bunch of drunk people with guns...and yes I know not all hunters are like that but I've seen enough that I'm not going to take my chances. That nice hiking trail you like to walk down looks like a good place for a hunter to put up his tree stand and its probably going to piss him off if you walk through there when he's trying to hunt...and there are hunters that shoot at just about anything that moves. I've got more to argue about with people who like to ride horses on the trails...they don't give a second thought to dropping a pile of horse crap in the middle of the trail because they don't have to walk through it or step over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I don't see conflicts between hunters and hikers, but then again there are 10 days a year I don't hike--during firearms deer season...I just don't like being in the woods with a bunch of drunk people with guns...and yes I know not all hunters are like that but I've seen enough that I'm not going to take my chances. That nice hiking trail you like to walk down looks like a good place for a hunter to put up his tree stand and its probably going to piss him off if you walk through there when he's trying to hunt...and there are hunters that shoot at just about anything that moves. I've got more to argue about with people who like to ride horses on the trails...they don't give a second thought to dropping a pile of horse crap in the middle of the trail because they don't have to walk through it or step over it.

Hahaa...so much false stereotyping, in my experience. Alcohol and firearms are a bad mix, and I've never hunted or knew anyone who hunted, while inebriated.

Horse trails...well, you gotta take the bad with the good, and horse droppings are mostly chewed grass. Never bothered me in the least. Maybe you should find something else to worry about...like black helicopters or drunk poachers.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Every hunter I've met in the backcountry has made a favorable impression on me.

I truly think the attitude you go in with is often the attitude reflected back at you. Be it work, family or the backcountry.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Every hunter I've met in the backcountry has made a favorable impression on me.

I truly think the attitude you go in with is often the attitude reflected back at you. Be it work, family or the backcountry.
    More Mags wisdom. I think it's very true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++