WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer Mountain to Neels Gap

Hiking from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap on Novembver 6th-9th. Staying at Hawks Mountain, Gooch Mountain, Woods Hole shelters. Can anyone give me some information on what to expect on this section. How are the shelters? How is the water at each shelter or along the trail. I would appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks!

Expect plenty of ups and downs. Water is running at all three shelters as of last week. Water is plentiful in this section with several creek and spring crossings. The only long section without water is the six miles from Woods Hole shelter to Justus Creek. And that six miles is the toughest stretch of your hike as well. You will have great views as the leaves will be down. You will be hiking during hunting season so wear some orange. Temps can be all over the place in Nov. You can just as easily be hiking in snow as hiking in 60 degree sunshine. So check this link below before you leave for weather. The current conditions are accurate. Subtract 5 degrees from the forecast.

Grassy Gap AT Weather

Enjoy your hike.

Images

If you haven't already, you might check out the Georgia AT Club's website here: http://georgia-atclub.org/new/. There is a lot of good information including maps ( http://georgia-atclub.org/new/index....129&Itemid=706 ) and a guide ( http://georgia-atclub.org/new/index....130&Itemid=708 ).

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Expect plenty of ups and downs. Water is running at all three shelters as of last week. Water is plentiful in this section with several creek and spring crossings. The only long section without water is the six miles from Woods Hole shelter to Justus Creek. And that six miles is the toughest stretch of your hike as well. You will have great views as the leaves will be down. You will be hiking during hunting season so wear some orange. Temps can be all over the place in Nov. You can just as easily be hiking in snow as hiking in 60 degree sunshine. So check this link below before you leave for weather. The current conditions are accurate. Subtract 5 degrees from the forecast.

Grassy Gap AT Weather

Enjoy your hike.
    I just re-read my post and it is wrong. The six mile stretch without water is from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek. Woods Hole Shelter is the one near Blood Mtn. I really need to stop drinking beer so early in the morning.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just hiked this section a few days ago. Plenty of water, and there is a cache of 6-7 gallons being maintained at Cooper Gap by shuttle driver Ron Brown. Campsites galore and pretty easy hiking - even Blood Mountain seemed pretty tame this time.

Just got back from Springer to Woody. Ditto everything above. Lots of water flowing. The daylight hours will be very short. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just got back from Springer to Woody. Ditto everything above. Lots of water flowing. The daylight hours will be very short. Have fun.

I must have passed you on Sunday near Woody gap. I was going SOBO around the time you should have been approaching Woody NOBO

Would you guys recommend staying in the shelters or bringing tents? Do any of them have a major issue with mice? Do they have bear cables? Thanks for all your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lwood View Post
    Would you guys recommend staying in the shelters or bringing tents? Do any of them have a major issue with mice? Do they have bear cables? Thanks for all your advice.
    Tented at Hawk. The shelter occupants said no mice that night. Sheltered at Gooch. No mice. It's a hit or miss proposition. Watch out for the Army Rangers! They were very active this past weekend. Blue Indian...sorry to miss you. We Whiteblazers should have a secret greeting or wear a funny hat to recognize each other.

Images

You can tent at Hawk and Gooch - good sites in both places. I used the shelter at Woods Hole as the weather was terrible and I couldn't find a good tent spot. Bear cables at all shelters in GA, I think. Also, too, mice.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Tented at Hawk. The shelter occupants said no mice that night. Sheltered at Gooch. No mice. It's a hit or miss proposition. Watch out for the Army Rangers! They were very active this past weekend. Blue Indian...sorry to miss you. We Whiteblazers should have a secret greeting or wear a funny hat to recognize each other.

You werent the fellow blowing a turkey call on ramrock mnt were you??

And yes, the rangers were very active on Sunday! I wish they didnt train so close to the trail...

Images

consider it part of the unique trail experience
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

heh, for that matter if you happen to see them laying in ambush, drop a candy bar (or any food for that matter) as you cross the X. See if they can hold their positions.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    You werent the fellow blowing a turkey call on ramrock mnt were you??
    Now that's funny! No. I was the older guy with a grey beard and yellow bandana. Left Gooch shelter at 8 and got back to my car shortly after 10 ish.

Iwood

Me and my two sons jsut did that section, our first time out. Let me tell you it was wonderful. We started on Oct. 18th and went for seven days, we went a little futher then whats in your question. But the week before they had a lot of rain so all the springs were running and water was not a problem. The mountains were harder then I dreaded of, but I push through and got to the top. My sons were a lot faster then me and I found myself trying to catch up with them, hike your own hike (HYOH). The shelters were nice but I prefered to pitch a tent outside when other people were there. some mice but it was not bad, we left our cooking pot out and they play inside of them. The first then I thought when I got back was when can I go back, I find myself missing it already. I plan to do the entire trail in my lifetime in sections and this was the first outing. Go and enjoy it, i think it will leave you with life long great memories.

Enjoy Tom

Quote Originally Posted by OctoberTom View Post
    Iwood

Me and my two sons jsut did that section, our first time out. Let me tell you it was wonderful. We started on Oct. 18th and went for seven days, we went a little futher then whats in your question. But the week before they had a lot of rain so all the springs were running and water was not a problem. The mountains were harder then I dreaded of, but I push through and got to the top. My sons were a lot faster then me and I found myself trying to catch up with them, hike your own hike (HYOH). The shelters were nice but I prefered to pitch a tent outside when other people were there. some mice but it was not bad, we left our cooking pot out and they play inside of them. The first then I thought when I got back was when can I go back, I find myself missing it already. I plan to do the entire trail in my lifetime in sections and this was the first outing. Go and enjoy it, i think it will leave you with life long great memories.

Enjoy Tom
    Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by OctoberTom View Post
    Iwood

Enjoy Tom
    My son and I did Woody Gap to Slaughter Creek Trail and from there to Lake Winfield Scott.Beautifal day for a hike on Oct. 20th.Plenty of water.Streams and creeks were flowing very good.
    Grey Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post

Grassy Gap AT Weather

Enjoy your hike.
    How is this section in mid-December?

++ New Posts ++