WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Linville Gorge - Pisgah Inn

Does anyone know if there have been any changes / reroutes / in any of the sections between Pisgah Inn and Linville Gorge - I'll be using Taba's MST guide and the NatGeo maps 779/780 for navigation.

Images

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/lin...ut-t65219.html

Maybe this will help. I went to do the 3 day loop but because of severe storms only did 2 days on an out and back from Wolf Pit Rd. I changed after I was told the Spence Bridge was out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Does anyone know if there have been any changes / reroutes / in any of the sections between Pisgah Inn and Linville Gorge - I'll be using Taba's MST guide and the NatGeo maps 779/780 for navigation.
    No reroutes in the sections you are looking at and the Spence Ridge Trail in the gorge is not part of the MST.

Thanks - I'm going to be starting at Ripshin Ridge hiking west back to Pisgah Inn this weekend. The FMST call this section 11 but it's listed as section 12 here: http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/n...rail/sections/.

Also interested in info about fording the Linville River on the MST in this section.

Images

Wear some orange or bight colors (hunting season). The ford Will be easy less than calf deep this time of year and a big climb up to the Pinnacle. Water will not be an issue till you get to what Taba has marked mile 719.9 fill up there it will be dry till you get down to the North Catawba River When you cross 221/226 at woodlawn fill up at mile 735.46 it will be a long climb up Woods Mountain to Bucks gap and it is a dry ridge. Keep a check on the weather it is suppose to snow.
    http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Linville High in the upper 30's and lows n the upper 20's

If you are hard up for water on Woods Mtn ridge there is a unmarked side trail about 2 miles past the old fire tower trail (northbound). It drops off the ridge to left of trail and you can follow a little ways before dropping off into the gully. Pretty strenuous, especially when carrying lots of water - leaves where almost waist deep when I did it. Don't miss any of the side trails to the right (north) as a couple have views all the way to Grandfather Mtn. and you can see parts of the Gorge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

How close does it come to the Pisgah Inn?? I've always wanted to stay there! http://www.pisgahinn.com/
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Right through the parking lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    If you are hard up for water on Woods Mtn ridge there is a unmarked side trail about 2 miles past the old fire tower trail (northbound). It drops off the ridge to left of trail and you can follow a little ways before dropping off into the gully. Pretty strenuous, especially when carrying lots of water - leaves where almost waist deep when I did it. Don't miss any of the side trails to the right (north) as a couple have views all the way to Grandfather Mtn. and you can see parts of the Gorge.
    Wow! What a view. Thanks for the water tip.

Going to delay my start until Sunday... Saturday they're calling for rain/snow and wind gusts up to 44 MPH.

Clears up Sunday morning.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Right through the parking lot!

Nice!! I've been up there but never got out of the car since my wife was nearly hyperventilating over the heights I was planning to hike up the the fire tower you can see from there but I had to get her off of that "guardrailless" road.

Journal Entries
    Images

Have a Great hike!! The MST is on my list!

10-K have a great hike,

I may contact you regarding your trip. I have taba's MST guide but I need to look at where Pisgah Inn is at. I have only done the MST in sections around MT. Mitchell and the Gorge. I really would like to string some days together along with some miles maybe this winter.
    Best,
    Floyd

Give us a trip reprt when you finnish.

Guess I'll wait a while.... From the Mt. Mitchell State Park website:

11/02/2014 updated at 8:45 am: Current temperature is 12 degrees with cloudy skies; the park received 18" of total snow accumulation. High yesterday was 21; low last night was 11 degrees with peak wind gusts of 50 mph plus.

Man, That is brutal weather.

Here in Charlotte, NC, Sat morning I saw some flurries earlier in the morning.

I truly hope the weather straightens out more by the end of the month.
    Floyd

Check the Pisgah Inn web site, they closed for the season on Oct 31 and don't reopen until April of 2015. Another thing, if there is any snow on the Blue Ridge Parkway in that area it is closed by the Park Service and there is no access to the Inn.

Right-o.

I'd be on the Mountains to Sea Trail anyway and would just use the Pisgah Inn as an easy to find place to get picked up (plus that's where I stopped on my last hike).

I won't hike until the BRP is open because I wouldn't be able to get picked up.

They are sometimes stingy with reopening the parkway up there. If you don't want to wait (or weather changes while you are out) you could get picked up at 276 which is a little past Pisgah inn or you could get picked up at 215 which is further east than 276. If you are in the neighborhood and haven't done it you should at least hit black balsam summit 6200 ft with 50 mile views if clear (it is between 276 and 215 right off mst). Trail between black balsam and 215 is pretty cool as well. Several nice campsites.

I've been up on Black Balsam and you're right - it's amazing. That entire area up there is a hiker's paradise.

++ New Posts ++