WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear List: Opinions/Criticism/Bad Mouthing is welcome

Planned departure date of March 19th! Posting this list for others to look over and for a sanity check.

Pack: Granite Gear Crown w/ trash compactor bag liner, frame removed, Zpacks backpack belt pouch
    Sleeping Bag: Kelty Cosmic Down. May switch to a 10 or 20 degree quilt, but it has worked so far down to ~15 degrees. Stuffed into the depths of my back instead of using a stuff sack.
    Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Z-Lite 3/4. This will be the frame for my bag.
    Shelter: Tarptent Notch
    Trekking Poles: Leki
    Down Sweater: OR Transcendent
    Rain Jacket: Marmot Precip
    Insulation: Uniqlo Fleece
    Base Layer: Uniqlo Heattech top and bottom. Merino t-shirt.
    Pants: Brooks running shorts
    Hiking Socks: 2x Darn Tough
    Sock Liner: Smart Wool toe socks
    Camp Socks: Smartwool
    Gloves: Polartech liners, produce bags
    Hat: Smartwool Beanie, will probably switch out to a OR ball cap or something once it is warmer. Also bringing an OR balaclava. It converts into a beanie but I find it to be too uncomfortable worn as such. These will get sent back in warmer weather.
    Shoes: Merrell Moab. Will probably switch out to NB trail runners once these are trashed.
    Cooking/Eating: SuperCat alcohol stove
    Long spork
    8 oz squeeze bottle for alcohol
    1”x1” scotchbrite
    mini bic
    homemade aluminum windscreen
    imusa grease pot with handle removed and modified lid handle
    A few 2oz containers for hot sauce, salt and crushed red pepper
    Headlamp: Petzl
    Electronics: iPhone with USB to thunderbolt cord
    GoPro
    2.1A USB charger
    15000 mAh Ravpower external battery
    USB to micro USB cord for charging external battery and GoPro
    Water: 2L Platy bag
    2x 1L Smart water bottle with one sport cap for back flushing filter
    Sawyer Mini
    First Aid: Swiss mini knife with tweezers and scissors
    10’ duct tape
    Assorted Bandaids
    Vitamin I
    Antihistamine
    Antibacterial Creme
    Toiletries: TP
    Dr Bronners
    Cut Toothbrush
    Travel Toothpaste
    GB Powder for dustin' the chops
    Misc: StickPic
    Bandana
    Sunglasses
    Stuff/Dry sacks for everything
    50’ Z-line
    FedEx shipping bag for sittin’
    Headphones for jammin'
    AWOL Guide

I might grab some cheap rain pants or possibly some gaiters

I'm sure I forgot something important

Images

Looks good. Cheap rain pants would be useful for the first month or two in cold, windy, wet weather (which you will see your share of )
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Agree on the rain pants. DriDucks are $20. Just trash them when they tear up or it gets warm.

Might want some sunscreen to start out with.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Agree on the rain pants. DriDucks are $20. Just trash them when they tear up or it gets warm.

Might want some sunscreen to start out with.
    I knew I forgot something. I have sunscreen in a little 4oz squeeze bottle. Thanks for reminding me!

I have had everything laid out on the floor for the last 3 weeks and I keep going over it to make sure I didn't forget anything!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspot View Post
    I knew I forgot something. I have sunscreen in a little 4oz squeeze bottle. Thanks for reminding me!
    I'm as fair skinned as they come, and I used a grand total of about an ounce of sunscreen in my first 700 miles. From you list, it seems like you are pretty weight conscious, so lose about 3 ounces of sunscreen, voila! Assuming you 're starting in the spring, just a tad on sensitive areas around 10am each day when it's actually sunny is plenty until mid May or so when UV starts to build earlier, but then again the leaves are out and you're mostly in deep shade anyway... really, high UV days are very rare along the AT....

And of yeah, dri duck pants are light and warm. Goofy looking to be sure, but light and warm and kinda waterproof when it's pouring.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm as fair skinned as they come, and I used a grand total of about an ounce of sunscreen in my first 700 miles. From you list, it seems like you are pretty weight conscious, so lose about 3 ounces of sunscreen, voila! Assuming you 're starting in the spring, just a tad on sensitive areas around 10am each day when it's actually sunny is plenty until mid May or so when UV starts to build earlier, but then again the leaves are out and you're mostly in deep shade anyway... really, high UV days are very rare along the AT....

And of yeah, dri duck pants are light and warm. Goofy looking to be sure, but light and warm and kinda waterproof when it's pouring.
    Oh don't worry, it's not even close to full! I would say I have a little less than 2 oz in the bottle. It's just the only bottle I had lying around.

I don't think the Thermarest Z-Lite has enough R-value for March.

What do others think?

I came with the full intention of bad mouthing but actually like the list. I agree with the suggestions though.

Glad to see someone else thinks about the chops ahead of time. Foresight is a good quality! (I'm not bringing any actually, but my hindsight is superb)

@Connie, It's actually a pretty popular choice. I personally would add a thinlight over it on really cold nights but it should work alone. (Maybe a couple cold nights, but I wouldn't worry about it much)

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I don't think the Thermarest Z-Lite has enough R-value for March.

What do others think?
    I have read a lot of mixed reviews and a lot of speculation. But I went out in ~17 degree weather and had no issue (that couldn't be solved). I honestly went into it expecting to be cold as hell with the bag and pad on top of snow. I went into the bag warm and fully layered. I was way too warm with the exception of my toes. So I took off the fleece and down and wrapped my feet with them. I ended up being pretty toasty.

I am probably going to be grabbing the driduck goodies.

Good list.
    Change the duck tape for Gorilla tape, you wont be sorry.
    Bring a tyvek sheet the size of your Zlite, or a descent quality emergency blanket to double up - help on those real cold nights and when it warms you can toss it. I always like to be hardcore about my cold nights, but man on the AT cold nights suck worse than -15 in the Dakotas on a week long trip in the scrub - don't know why.

Very nice.

I suggest the cap or hat with a brim, even at the outset, to keep sun and rain off your face. I always wear a hat.

For first aid, Leukotape is better than duct tape. 10' seems like a lot.

Good list. I would add New Skin in the 1st aid kit. Paint it on your heels in the morning before you have blisters develop and it helps a lot. Shoe type is important and the source of much talk on the trail. Different brands fits people differently. Try on many brands Also have each foot measured, most people have feet that are not the same size. You will notice when you get blisters on one foot and not the other. good luck! Puff Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by puffturtle View Post
    Good list. I would add New Skin in the 1st aid kit. Paint it on your heels in the morning before you have blisters develop and it helps a lot. Shoe type is important and the source of much talk on the trail. Different brands fits people differently. Try on many brands Also have each foot measured, most people have feet that are not the same size. You will notice when you get blisters on one foot and not the other. good luck! Puff Turtle
    I have never tried new skin. I'll look into it. Moleskin or leukotape would be my second choice to duct tape, but I'm willing to try something new. The shoes I have chosen have worked well in the past for me.

As for the suggestion of the brimmed hat, I have picked up a ultralight boonie.

I like the LED baseball hats: the "CUB" model LED hat has the LED's under the brim.

Panther Vision brand LED hats have low beam - high beam and long "watch battery" hours. Read the specs.

http://www.panthervision.com

I pull my long hair thru the back opening of the hat and I do not need a headlamp for camp, or, for the trail.

I also have both hands free, because I don't have a flashlight.

Importantly, I don't have a small item of gear easily misplaced or lost.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-19-2015 at 16:25.

Ditch the bandaids. Anything small won't need a bandaid, anything big is too big for a band-aid. I would add some Desitin(zinc oxide) for healing any chafe and pick up some leukotape for blister prevention. It really is great stuff.

Ryan

Images

I don't see it mentioned, but seems like most folks tear the AWOL guide into pieces and only carry 1/3rd or 1/4th at a time, saves some ounces (bounce or mail the other sections appropriately). you don't mention what headlamp you're bringing, only saying "petzl", but there are some very light ones out there to save a couple ounces.

I don't see a pack cover; seems like a lot of folks don't use them and rely on interior bag (like you have) to keep stuff dry, which works, but I also use a 1-ounce cuben pack cover for two reasons: another layer of protection and to save potentially a lot weight; it rains a lot obviously, and a soaking wet pack (even with contents dry) can add 6-8 ounces of weight vs. dry (I tested this once, try it, weigh you pack, soak it and weigh it again, obviously this will vary a lot with pack age/fabric).

Overall pretty darn good list. FWIW, I think your z-rest is enough insulation for a late-March start. A couple/few nights early might benefit from a bit more, but you'll be fine with the z-rest.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I don't see it mentioned, but seems like most folks tear the AWOL guide into pieces and only carry 1/3rd or 1/4th at a time, saves some ounces (bounce or mail the other sections appropriately). you don't mention what headlamp you're bringing, only saying "petzl", but there are some very light ones out there to save a couple ounces.

I don't see a pack cover; seems like a lot of folks don't use them and rely on interior bag (like you have) to keep stuff dry, which works, but I also use a 1-ounce cuben pack cover for two reasons: another layer of protection and to save potentially a lot weight; it rains a lot obviously, and a soaking wet pack (even with contents dry) can add 6-8 ounces of weight vs. dry (I tested this once, try it, weigh you pack, soak it and weigh it again, obviously this will vary a lot with pack age/fabric).

Overall pretty darn good list. FWIW, I think your z-rest is enough insulation for a late-March start. A couple/few nights early might benefit from a bit more, but you'll be fine with the z-rest.
    The guide will be torn.

It's the tikka xp 2. It worked well enough for me on the LT, I have no complaints.

The reason I don't have a pack cover listed is because I had a cuben pack cover and I ripped it twice in a month. I'm too irresponsible to own nice things like cuben

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Ditch the bandaids. Anything small won't need a bandaid, anything big is too big for a band-aid. I would add some Desitin(zinc oxide) for healing any chafe and pick up some leukotape for blister prevention. It really is great stuff.

Ryan
    I may or may not keep the bandaids. They are one of those "what if...?" security items that I'm having trouble getting rid of for some reason.

I typically don't get chafing, but I bring a small amount of GB powder for prevention. The only time I got chafing I just washed the area and applied a small amount of lip balm and some neosporin and it seemed to clear up just fine. If this method doesn't seem to work and it is starting to ruin my life I'll pick some up.

I'm going to pick up some leukotape tonight!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Sunscreen - (smallest container you can buy) until the leaves come out.
    Consider using UL dry sacks for your clothes and sleeping bag and forget the trash compactor bag.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++