WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thinking about starting hostel

I'm 10 minutes from Harper's Ferry and am thinking about starting hostel at my farm. I would like to provide camping, trading post for provisions (Ben & Jerry's, ramen noodles, socks,whatever), shuttle service. I have a large pond for fishing, bathing, and swimming. Any ideas on what hikers are looking for would be helpful. "Will work for beer" works for me, but what would be a reasonable charge for those wanting to just hang out? Would electric and water hookups be helpful? Thinking of maybe a bath house with hot showers, platforms to pitch tents (how big??), and maybe a couple of shelters. Thanks.

$15 minimum and do yourself a favor and don't allow alcohol.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Agree with L Wolf that $15 is a reasonable over night fee. I also agree that skipping the alcohol would be doing yourself a big favor.

In terms of what hikers really NEED, I would say the following:

Shower
    Laundry
    Dry Bed

Internet Access is often requested but not an absolute necessity. Also, a shuttle into town for food re-supply would be a good thing to offer.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Domestic Goddess

If you need help building shelters, platforms, etc, I'd be thrilled to come on down for a weekend or two of helpful assistance! Let us know how it comes along!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    Agree with L Wolf that $15 is a reasonable over night fee. I also agree that skipping the alcohol would be doing yourself a big favor.

In terms of what hikers really NEED, I would say the following:

Shower
    Laundry
    Dry Bed

Internet Access is often requested but not an absolute necessity. Also, a shuttle into town for food re-supply would be a good thing to offer.

'Slogger
    Ditto! Those are all a hiker needs to get refreshed and back on the trail. If you make it too cushy some hikers will remain TOO long. SOmetimes putting a limit of 2 days on the stay is good (with exceptions from you for an injured hiker.) NIX the alcohol. Let the hikers go to town for that. JMHO
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Default Hiker Hostel

I know that Profile and Almanac went through a lot of planning before they committed to a hostel. I suggest that you talk with them, as well as other hostel owners such as Bob Peoples and Miss Janet. Then figure out what you want to do.

Images

Don't forget a Drill Sergeant style hostel owner to keep if from being too good a place for the leaches and to keep people from trashing it on a drunk weekend.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

A kitchen or a place to cook out of the weather.

Default Harpers Ferry Hostel

Harpers Ferry is a great place to stop off. However, for hikers wanting a low cost stay not too far from town the only place I could find was the KOA RV park about 2 miles from town and they give the hikers the really crumby spots to put their tents.

Is your location 10 minutes walk or 10 minutes by car? Whatever, I think it's a great idea in the right location

Agree with previous posts... don't allow alcohol. Hikers can easily get a beer in town if they want.
    Downunda

All good advice so far, especially the folks who suggested you visit a couple of functioning hostels to get an idea of what they're like. Terrapin Station near Front Royal is one place to check out; you should definitely contact Miss Janet in Erwin (you can send her a Private Message right here as she's a longtime member of Whiteblaze) as she'll happily answer any or all of your questions.

As far as what to charge, this depends entirely on the level of services provided. A "simple hostel", i.e. with the bare necessities (Bunk/Tentsite, Shower, Laundry, Telephone) should run about $15.00, as other folks have already suggested. If you add amenities such as Internet services, a working kitchen, rec room with TV, movies, etc., you might charge a bit more. Obviously, for "extras" such as prepared meals or shuttle rides, there would be an additional charge.

Depending on how far you are from the Trail, a free ride back to the Trailhead would be a big draw for your place. Periodic shuttles to the closest town, market, or restaurant would also be a plus, and it's perfectly OK to expect folks to pay for this.

But once again, the best way for you to get an idea of what a functioning hiker hostel is like is to visit one during hiker season, and I strongly urge you to do this at some point.

First check and see what your county will allow you to do . They will more than likley have what facilities you mus to have at a min. Also remember if you have a hostle for people passing thru they will require much more time since they have no transportation.
    IMO, you must be in it for the love of the hiker. When at our peak we "work " about 18-20 hours a day. And when you figure the money we make per hour most would shake their head, and offer sympathy.

If you want more ideas from our buisness plan email me and would be happy to answer questions.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PROFILE
    First check and see what your county will allow you to do . They will more than likley have what facilities you mus to have at a min. Also remember if you have a hostle for people passing thru they will require much more time since they have no transportation.
    IMO, you must be in it for the love of the hiker. When at our peak we "work " about 18-20 hours a day. And when you figure the money we make per hour most would shake their head, and offer sympathy.

If you want more ideas from our buisness plan email me and would be happy to answer questions.
    Ahhhh, but You and Almanac just love to be around us hikers....

BTW: What adventure did you draw out of the bowl this year???
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

I think $15 is on the high end of "reasonable" for a single night's stay. Most of the hostels I stayed in this summer were free (or donation): Rusty's, the Waynesboro Y campground, Woodshole, the Church of the Mtn in DWG, Upper Goose Pond, the Birdcage. I did stay at Bears Den ($13?) and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel ($13?) but was not entirely satisfied with these -- because of my dog I couldn't stay in the regular hiker lodgings. (In fact, the earliest I ever got on the trail was the morning I left Bears Den.)

On the other hand, I should say that the folks running Bears Den and the Pine Grove Furnace hostel were super nice in that they let me stay at all...

back on topic, I don't have any problem with folks deciding to charge for staying at their hostel. $15 is not terribly expensive, and can be a great deal for a hiker depending on location and amenities provided. But hikers on a shoestring budget may decide to pass up your place before ever even seeing it -- this is why I didn't bother going to Terrapin Station, even though from all reports it sounded like a great place. Naturally, your mileage will vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    Ahhhh, but You and Almanac just love to be around us hikers....

BTW: What adventure did you draw out of the bowl this year???
    Nepal. We are thinking of going for 2 months, bu tnot till next Nov. If you still plan on doing the FLA trial in Jan/Feb we are in for about 2-4 weeks.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PROFILE
    Nepal. We are thinking of going for 2 months, bu tnot till next Nov. If you still plan on doing the FLA trial in Jan/Feb we are in for about 2-4 weeks.
    Nepal... that sounds interesting.

Yepper.... I will be hiking from the Alabama border down towards Key West as of Dec 5th.

We had to change direction (so now we are SOBOs) due to all the rain and a lot of trail closures down south. We will get off the trail around the 24th for the holidays and then get back on around Jan 2ndish.

I would love to have you join us for a couple of weeks.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    Ditto! Those are all a hiker needs to get refreshed and back on the trail. If you make it too cushy some hikers will remain TOO long. SOmetimes putting a limit of 2 days on the stay is good (with exceptions from you for an injured hiker.) NIX the alcohol. Let the hikers go to town for that. JMHO
    I just went thru that. I had to clean house. I will contact the hostels mentioned and get ideas and much needed advice.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollergirl
    If you need help building shelters, platforms, etc, I'd be thrilled to come on down for a weekend or two of helpful assistance! Let us know how it comes along!
    Thanks!! I have the labor, I need to know specs. How far apart, what size, etc..
    My cowboy is an excellent chef. Dinner & a horseback ride??

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Don't forget a Drill Sergeant style hostel owner to keep if from being too good a place for the leaches and to keep people from trashing it on a drunk weekend.
    How about an HBIC??

I have started two section hikes from HF, one north and one south. A hostel there would be a great service for hikers starting and ending hikes in HF.

Offer a mail drop, train station pick-up and drop-off, also "fuel supplies".

Bayou
    Hike Safe
    Bayou

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cajunqueen
    Thanks!! I have the labor, I need to know specs. How far apart, what size, etc..
    My cowboy is an excellent chef. Dinner & a horseback ride??
    The shelter system setup at Laurel Highlands was pretty sweet. There were about 4 shelters per area, and they were around 50'-100' apart, each had its' own fireplace that faced the shelter. There was a nearby privy. A couple even had functional showers with real hot water!!!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++