Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PCT Maps

Default PCT Maps

I'm trying to decide between the Halfmile (to order w/Yogi's PCT book) and Postholer map sets for the PCT. I have seen various discussions of which paper maps are preferable but some discussions are older and possibly out of date. Here is what I have gathered from looking at the websites:

• Both map sets are printed in color. Halfmile maps print on 8.5x11 inch paper while Postholer prints in a more compact 6x9 format.
    • Halfmile prints on 455 pages (front and back). Postholer has 419 pages including 28 section overview maps and 381 sub-section maps.
    • Halfmile scale is 1:31,680 (1 inch = 1/2 mile). Postholer scale is 1:38,500.
    • Postholer website states that the maps are derived from recent base maps rather than scanned older maps. see http://postholer.com/mapcompare/. Also, formatting is supposed to be better with consistent fonts and unit of measure is consistent.
    • Cost: Postholer three book set is about $95 shipped. Halfmile map set is about $47 shipped (via Yogi's site).
    • Weight: I don't see specific numbers but it seems obvious that the postholer maps will weigh less given the smaller size and slightly fewer pages.
    • Matching data book for postholer maps.
    • Presumably halfmile maps will be referred to in Yogi's book but I'm not sure this matters.

Have I missed any pros and cons?

I'm almost certain that I will be taking paper maps rather than relying only on the guthook app (which I will also have). So the issue really is which map set is going to provide a better overall experience. $50 of additional cost is something I'd be willing to pay if the postholer maps are actually better and more reliable.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Yogi is providing Half mile's pct maps at a discounted price because they want to provide a good resource without charging an arm and a leg. I've seen their maps and you won't beat them. GL
    See ya when I get there.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

They're both fine for getting you around. Postholer's are smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. One complaint I heard from someone using them was that the surrounding landscape features weren't named - peaks and what not so if knowing what's around you is important that's something to consider.

I bought Postholer's paper maps and uploaded Halfmiles's maps to Dropbox so I could get them from my phone but it turned out I didn't refer to either - Guthook's and Halfmile's PCT apps, combined with Yogi's guide was beyond enough information.

Keep in mind the trail is very easy to follow - of all the use I had out of Guthook's app probably 50% of it was just in the Sierra because there wasn't a trail to follow but if I understand your plan right you're going to delay entry into the Sierra to minimize snow travel.

If I had it to do over again I'd skip paper maps completely but if forced to pick one I'd get Postholer's again just because they're lighter and more compact. People using Halfmile's maps tended to have them shipped all over the place and were always needing to "get my box with the next section of maps". With Postholer you can carry a whole book at a time.

I think Halfmile's maps totally dominate the market - I only saw a few others with Postholers. Nothing scientific about that - just what I personally saw.

I do like to identify landscape features and that's one reason I would like to carry paper maps with me. However, I've found that some maps specific to a trail cover only a narrow corridor (such as the Colorado Trail map book) and I've in the past purchased maps with broader coverage like National Geographic Trails Illustrated.

Now that I have an andorid phone, using apps is an option but I worry about losing electronics or running out of battery especially in the Sierra.

I will have a bounce box anyway so I could send map sections ahead.

So I printed out California section a after downloading the Halfmile maps. Not bad even in black and white and I'm sure it will look better in color. I also have downloaded the PDF onto my phone. It is readable if you zoom in on a specific area. That could be a good backup, along with having the guthook app. I think that I'll go ahead and order the Halfmile mapset along with Yogi's 2015 PCT book. At the very least the maps will be great for planning purposes and I can spend hours going over maps.

If you want to get really snazzy you can buy a GPS app for your phone (I use MotionX GPS) and import Halfmile's GPS track and waypoints for the entire PCT to your phone. I did that for my Garmin GPS, carried the blooming thing the entire hike - and never powered it up. My gesture to paranoia I guess....

Halfmile's maps are handy for scouting alternates which aren't on the Guthook app. Even the Halfmile PCT app only has select alternates. One that comes to mind is the Buck's Lake alternate which is a cool little route that takes you buy a few good stores and a great restaurant that you'd miss if you stayed on the PCT.

Coverage of better alternates would be nice. My philosophy for the hike is that I want an unbroken walk from Mexico to Canada, but I'm less concerned with sticking with the actual PCT every step, if for no other reason than this is impossible anyway due to snow coverage in the Sierra.

I don't think I met a single hiker who had the "Every white blaze or it doesn't count." mentality on the PCT. The PCT is a lot more flexible than the AT in that regard. There are lots of different ways you can get from place to place by taking side trails and such. I can think of a bunch just sitting here now.

There were a LOT of hikers who wanted a continuous footpath which is what you're talking about.

I'm very excited about the alternates available on the CDT next year myself.

"Keep in mind the trail is very easy to follow..." I usually say this after I've hiked a trail too. However, that's after I did some wandering and wondering when on trail in real time that I've forgot to mention. There always seems to be new tracks made by 4 wheelers in SoCal that the PCT maintainers haven't yet signed at junctions in SoCal. I would also prefer maps for the Sierras even if I was anticipating a late entry. I'm like you Coffee. I want to know the surrounding peaks, waterways, outs, etc. Depending on how late is late a late entry date may not mean NO SNOW TRAVEL. The Sierras can be daunting for someone going solo not in the bubble.

Since you mentioned alternates I much advise you take the Eagle Creek alternate just beforte Cascade Locks if you like waterfalls. This would prolly be the "official" PCT route if the PCT wasn't also open to equestrians. You'll understand why horses aren't allowed/advised for this alternate once you do it. I've done the regular PCT and two alternates around Bucks Lake and like Halfmile's alternate for the reasons 10-K mentioned. Likewise, some alternates in Oregon are to and around the various fishing/camping/lake resorts for additional resupply/scenic opps and the now defunct lower elev, WITH MORE ACCESSS TO WATER, Oregon Tr. Yogi likes maps and usually has excellent info on map selections and possibly alternates in her guides. Overall, I totally agree with 10-K though. The PCT is a very well signed trail.

"I'm very excited about the alternates available on the CDT next year myself."

It's almost daunting though. At least it was for me. BEWARE! I took many CDT alternates usually opting to add trail miles rather than cutting off trail miles as I saw some CDTers doing simply for the sake of "getting er' done". CDT logistics were BY FAR the most involved for me of any hike I've done. Researching the pros/cons of various alternates was time consuming but it helps if you know ahead of time what your priorities are for the hike. For me, it was scenery scenery scenery in a non stressed non hurried let me see what I can see hiking mindset limiting my food/water hauls by resupplying often.

BTW, I've seen snow covered trail(the PCT), at least parts of it, at the higher elevations around Wrightwood, Lake Tahoe and Bucks Lake into late June.

Something to also consider is Postholer's Complete PCT Data Book. Although at times it is confusing to look at his book in conjunction with Halfmile's due to the difference in mileage markers, we found it a valuable resource, as no one data source contains ALL the information you may be looking for at that precise moment - water sources/status, camping opportunities, trail junctions, etc. It was well worth the $16! We tore the binder apart and just mailed the pages we wanted along with our other data sources, so there was not much of a weight penalty at all! But in full disclosure, I must admit that although I would give 99% of the book a very high rating, its completeness fell very low for the last few hundred (?) miles - water sources, campsites, trail junctions were no longer noted as thoroughly or as accurately. But still, a very valuable resource I would highly recommend others to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I would also prefer maps for the Sierras even if I was anticipating a late entry. I'm like you Coffee. I want to know the surrounding peaks, waterways, outs, etc. Depending on how late is late a late entry date may not mean NO SNOW TRAVEL. The Sierras can be daunting for someone going solo not in the bubble.
    Right now my Sierra entry date is actually on the early side. Probably late May/early June since I'll be starting around April 15 after taking the snow skills course at Tahoe the prior weekend. But I am going to try to keep enough flexibility to be able to change my start date it if looks like there is lots of snow by February.

Hey Coffee. Nice presentation!

1 clarification:

"derived from recent base maps"

The postholer maps are not derived from any existing map set. They are created from the ground up from 100's of gigs of point, raster and vector data, the way all modern maps are increasingly made today. This data nor the means to collect it didn't exist when the old NatGeo maps that HM uses were created. The natural ground cover depicted vs. old hand drawn woodland polygons is one of many good examples.

We've made big changes in the 6th edition for 2015 released a week ago. They latest previews of trail sections A & B can be viewed here. Like Coffee suggested, if you want to make a side by side comparison with HM maps, use this link: http://postholer.com/mapcompare

+ 381 full color, digitized topographic maps
    + Beautiful 3D hill shading
    + Highly detailed elevation chart on each map
    + Burn area perimeters for the last 6 years (for fire awareness, camping opportunities and regrowth comparison)
    + Section overview maps with sub-sections and legends
    + Each book is 6" x 9" format at ~7oz for easy pack stowage
    + Accumulated trail mileage every mile
    + Resupply locations within 90 miles of map center
    + 1:38500 scale with NAD83 decimal degree tick marks
    + Data book information printed at each locale on the maps
    + Accurate trail trace is a hybrid of USFS, postholer.com, et al.
    + Over 2,400 way points and resupply locations
    + Volunteer trail crew recognition on each map

-postholer

It's really hard to convince someone(myself included) who has primarily hiked the AT that you don't need paper maps for the PCT.

You don't need paper maps for the PCT. When you factor in the cost and weight of paper maps you may as well carry a Kindle and place Halfmile's maps on there.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    It's really hard to convince someone(myself included) who has primarily hiked the AT that you don't need paper maps for the PCT.

You don't need paper maps for the PCT. When you factor in the cost and weight of paper maps you may as well carry a Kindle and place Halfmile's maps on there.
    I agree 10,000% but you would have never been able to convince me I didn't need paper maps to hike the PCT either.

The reality is that the PCT is as easy to hike as the AT in terms of navigation and resupply. There is a well defined trail corridor and there are a lot of hikers on an easy to follow trail. The 2 biggest (I said "biggest" not "only") differences in my hiking experience between the AT and the PCT are weather and water.

I've replayed Dogwood's comment about saying trails are easy to follow after they're hiked over and over and having given it much thought I can say with certainty that the only place I had the slightest difficulty following the trail when it wasn't covered with snow was along the aqueduct north of Hikertown. In that section there are a lot of crisscrossing roads and trails - but there are also PCT markers at least every half-mile or so.

I will be using both Yogi's PCT Guide and the HalfMile Maps. but i also have been told from people that has hiked the PCT that a GPS system set for the PCT is the way to go. i might ditch the Half mile maps and use the PCT guide in conjunction with a GPS system.

You had snow along the aqueduct? I'm surprised if that's so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You had snow along the aqueduct? I'm surprised if that's so.
    No, I meant that other than snow (in the Sierra), the only place I had any issues navigating were along the aqueduct. But between the PCT markers and Guthook's app I didn't lose a minute of time.

halfmiles maps all the way

maps are good for when you're lost. especially when there's snow covering the trail. also not all trail junctions are that well marked. and they help a lot when looking ahead for a place to sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++