WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Puffy for Early March Start

Hey all,

I've got my gear pretty much dialed in and tested for next year, but one of the last things I'm still wrestling with is how heavy of a puffy to carry for camp insulation on an early March (by ATKO at the latest) start. Of course the best way to figure this out is try lots of them on myself, but my funds won't really support buying multiple jackets at this point. So I'm looking for feedback from past early March starters or anyone who's done some camping in that climate on what worked for you or not. Both specific models or general fill weights (i.e. 4oz. of 850, etc.) would be helpful.

A little relevant stuff about me, I tend to get cold a little easier due to body composition being 6' 2" and 160 pounds soaking wet. My normal layering system under this would be a 150wt. Merino top and two 100 wt. fleeces, one an athletic cut base layer style and the other a looser fitting 1/4 zip. Just the first fleece layer is enough to keep me warm when moving down to the low 30's.

Now I did already purchase a Montbell Frost Line parka when the end of season clearance came around, but I'm thinking I may have overshot the mark a little on that. IThat thing is very warm and I'm sure it will get some use in the upcoming VT winter but I'm not so sure if lugging all 27 oz. of it will really be necessary on the AT. The other piece I already have is that Backcountry.com anorak which I'm certain would be too light by itself with around 2.3 oz. of 850 fill. I suppose there's a chance of working it in as another mid layer but wearing two puffies seems like it could be awkward.

I think that about covers it, any advice people can offer is appreciated.

Images

Yeah, wow, that's a lot of down.

I think a Montbell Alpine Light Parka (with a hood) is the sweet spot for an early March start. It's not too heavy, it's warm enough with that fleece pullover under it, and it can be used inside a bag. It's not a full on winter puffy, but that style has worked for me in March and November on the AT in the South. If you want a little more warmth, the Alpine Parka (not the "light") is warmer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I bought a 800 fp down puffy coat from Lands End. Bought it during a '09 Christmas sale for $50. Carried it with me the next year on my thru. it was with me the whole way (I stuff it into a pillow case at night for a pillow). It goes with me for every section hike since - as a cold weather coat and a pillow.Maybe the best value piece of gear I have ever bought. Check 'em out. You may pay more but i doubt there are any better out there. fwiw, coldest overnight temps I have seen on a hike was 0* (not the AT). The jacket was fine in camp.

Images

When it comes to a down jacket, I like a 'jacket' ie no hood. I just add a balaclava and some warm headwear. Just a little more functionability. Ex. when not wearing the puffy in the bag, still have the optional head layers.

Journal Entries
    Images

I find this a little odd as hiking and sweating into a down jacket is a huge mistake and only good for several hours and you may need a dryer. So I suspect this is a thinner jacket, I suggest you really dig into the Dri Down tech or the Fireball

Fireball - (there are many- this is one idea)http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...07807.12019738
    (you can hike in Fireball)

Dri-Down http://www.rei.com/product/871936/si...own-hoody-mens
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, wow, that's a lot of down.

I think a Montbell Alpine Light Parka (with a hood) is the sweet spot for an early March start. It's not too heavy, it's warm enough with that fleece pullover under it, and it can be used inside a bag. It's not a full on winter puffy, but that style has worked for me in March and November on the AT in the South. If you want a little more warmth, the Alpine Parka (not the "light") is warmer.
    Yeah the Alpine Light is one of the options I've been strongly considering. I don't see a non-light Alpine version on their site, maybe discontinued or replaced by something else? I believe the next step up as far as fill weight is the Mirage but I'm not entirely sold on that one due to what you pay, both in terms of the enormous price increase for a few ounces saved and the paper-thin shell fabric used. However I would be curious to hear from anyone who owns one how the shell has held up, 7D on something that could face some abrasion just makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I find this a little odd as hiking and sweating into a down jacket is a huge mistake and only good for several hours and you may need a dryer. So I suspect this is a thinner jacket, I suggest you really dig into the Dri Down tech or the Fireball
    Right, I know better than to hike in a heavy puffy haha. Maybe listing the layers I hike in was confusing, I included that to show what I would likely be wearing under the jacket when stopping for camp or a long meal break.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    I've got my gear pretty much dialed in and tested for next year, but one of the last things I'm still wrestling with is how heavy of a puffy to carry for camp insulation on an early March (by ATKO at the latest) start.
    Great question and one I'm wrestling with myself . Right now I have a 100 wt fleece jacket and a Montbell U L down vest (5.1oz) but I plan on adding a down parka too. So, it will probably the Montbell U L down Parka(9 oz) or something a tad warmer. Layering is the way to go. Of course my start isn't til 2016 so I got some time yet.

Given that a down jacket is meant for in camp wear, it makes sense to have a really puffy one that will do the job right. I woke up to 25 degrees a couple of weeks ago, and really liked having one.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Were I to do a thru hike, I believe I'd bring my warm coat, and mail it home when the weather warms up. Bring the warmest one you got, you may just need it...old man winter doesn't care about nomenclature.

Images

Another vote for MB Alpine Light.

Images

The "system" I've been using for quite a few years now:

REI Gossamer synthetic, hooded jacket. This is may absolute favorite puffy jacket I've ever owned, but no longer made, they do make similar.
    Patagonia synthetic vest.

Summer/warm season - just the vest goes.
    Spring/Fall - just the jacket goes.
    Winter - both go.

Reasoning:

Images

I HATE the input dialog in this software. So often just posts the reply before it's finished.

Continuing.

Reasoning:
    Pros:
    - Layering adds warmth in coldest months when needed.
    - Using synthetic insulation for jackets offers protection against a catastrophic wetting of all my down. It's never happened, no reason to anticipate that it would, but it is a possibility that could have serious consequences if it did.
    - Using synthetic insulation for jackets would allow hiking in the jacket if the need ever arose. Hasn't yet, wouldn't plan on it.
    - I have both these items, they work very well together, so no cost in buying an alternative.

Cons:
    - Probably a bit heavier, I haven't actually compared, but this combination fits well within my under 15 lb summer and under 20 lb winter base weights.
    - Could probably find something a bit more compressible than the duo, but then you're stuck with the same puffy for warmer season use too.

Anyway, this is my reasoning and I'm very happy with it. Used these for most of my AT sections in all seasons, Isle Royale in Sept several times, Northern Minnesota in early April (complete with substantial snow and sleet), the High Sierras, and many other more mundane areas. The only time I would not suggest this combo would be in extreme, hard-core winter conditions. I don't consider the southern Appalachians hard-core winter. Cold - yes, Wet - yes, Snow - yes, Wind - yes.

If your a native Vermonter, your probably okay with t-shirt and shorts until about 20 degrees Spend as much time outside this winter as you can and by the time you get to Georgia in March, it will feel like summer to you.

My layering system is a fleece jacket, synthetic vest and rain/wind shell, over the usual base layers. Don't forget the hat and gloves. If it's too cold to sit around with those layers, time to get into the bag.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I started March 13th in 2011 and brought a GoLite Cady synthetic insulated jacket. Paired with my mid weight base layer, balaclava, and gloves around camp it was fine sitting around camp 99% of the time. The few times that it was too cold for that, I got in my 15* sleeping bag and was fine.

I've since picked up a Montbell EX Light, and I will take it with me if/when I start a thru hike in early March, 2015.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

++ New Posts ++