WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking in Pine Grove, Pa.

Does anyone know of safe parking areas near Route 501 in the vicinity of Pine Grove, Pa? I've heard that the 501 trailhead has had vehices broken into recently.
    "Sea Eagle"

I left my car there 2 years ago. I let the local sheriff know that it would be there for 5 days and had no problem; however, I was careful to make sure nothing of value was inside the vehicle. In fact, I left the last day's fast food wrappers from our travels and 3 pair of dirty socks strewn about. That might have helped!

Thanks for the suggestion; I'm sure we can come up with dirty socks and food wrappers!
    "Sea Eagle"

I lived not to far away from that area several years ago. I never had any problems with my car getting broken into. Most of the people in that area were friendly but I do have to warn you. There is some weird guy that lives in the area just south of there that visit the trail on a normal basic. At least he did back then. I don't know what he looks like or had any personal run in with him. I only read some of his entries. It was some pretty weird stuff. He like to hang out just south of Rt 30 a lot.

Wolf

I have parked there several times for different amounts of days ranging from 1 - 3. I never had a problem FWIW.

Journal Entries
    Images

There are two key things you can do to discover this information.

1. goto the ATC webpage and click on Pennsylvania http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/trail-updates#PA
    2. Upon arrival look down for broken safety glass amongst the stone gravel, if there is a lot of it - MOVE.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++