WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ask her out. There might be many girls in your life or just this one - ASK!

come on what did she say..... :-)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Given some of the tension I saw with some hikers who had a girlfriend at home who wasn't supportive of the hike and how a few gave in and got off in-order to still have said girlfriend, I'd say no thanks. But that's me. When I start planning a hike, I become driven by it so I don't want any unnecessary distractions that may end up interfering with what I want to do. But other people aren't me as some of the other posts here have the opposite opinion.

In a relationship, it's often ends up becoming about US and WE rather then ME and I. And there is nothing wrong with that. But that person's opinion starts to have an impact on what you do. If things work out and you are finding yourself with strong feelings for her and she didn't want you to hike, what would you do? What is more important to you for the upcoming year? A girlfriend or hiking? The answer to that question is your answer.
    +1 Some very good advice. Like Zach Davis said in his book Appalachian Trials " The hike must be the most important thing in your life at the moment." If it is not you are likely to fail in your thru hike attempt. If you are or get into a relationship it must be strong to survive a long distance hike.
    Blackheart

^ can't believe the ppl who said no. He's a teenager thinking about one date, not a huge commitment!

Definitely yes, ask her out. It'll give you something to think about while on the trail, instead of something you'll regret not doing.

Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder; if things go well, this works nicely in your favor

No, no, no. Absence absolutely does not make the heart grow fonder. If you need one more reason to give your thru-hike a better chance to fail, then ask her out, get to really liking each other's company, then leave her, and wait for the ultimatum to come somewhere in Virginia. Most young women are all about themselves. Unless she possesses a maturity far beyond her youthful norm, you will regret having baggage to drag along the Trail.

I'm a married man, and I really enjoy my wife's company. She is an amazing woman, and I we will struggle being apart for that length of time. She knows why I must do this, and supports me 100%, but would it be easier being single and unattached? Absolutely! Would I change that if I could? No way!

Which regret would you refer to live with? Regret not asking her out, or regret losing her somewhere down the trail. It could certainly work out fine, either way. But at your age, the odds of living happily ever after are slim to none.

Given that, if I were you...I'd ask her out. But I'm a sap for love, even in it's simplest forms. Good luck, young man!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

The choices we make...the choices we fail to make...risk...security...fleeting mortality...regrets?

Fill in the blanks and be a man. Don't let anyone else tell you what to do.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just be honest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cyeaton View Post
    I know this question might sound really immature or silly but I think I should ask it any way to see what you guys think! The question I'm asking is whether or not I should ask a girl out? Now I do realize that there is a possibility of her saying no but if she says yes and we start dating I would have to leave her for 5 months on my hike in the spring. I don't think that would be fair for her to leave her for that long. I'm just not sure what I should do. Let me know if you have had has a similar situation and tell me what happened! Thanks!

Easiest question i will answer all day! If she is still there, you have your answer. If she is standing at the top of Khatadhn when you arrive, you REALLY have your answer Good luck and above all, don't let the worry over this detract from your hike, however long it turns out to be.

You only live once, seize the moment, burn the candle at both ends whenever possible. Live well!!

This is the advice I gave my daughter. If you're in a relationship at 17 that is stopping you from setting and obtaining goals, the relationship may not be in your best interest. I know many will not agree and my answer would be different if at the time she had been older, but at 17? You have plenty of time in front of you for life to tie you down. Does not mean you should not ask her out, only that you have to evaluate whether you both are mature enough to handle it. A relationship should expand your life. There is a time and place for everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++