WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Needed cheapest place to stay in Harpers Ferry Thanksgiving weekend.

I have my Buena Vista hostel & shuttle set up for Thanksgiving night & the next day but I'm having trouble finding a cheap place to stay in HF the day after Thanksgiving for a night or 2. It looks like the hostels in town are closed for the year? Any suggestions & help is appreciated.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Not sure that this is necessarily cheap, but there is The Town's Inn -- http://www.thetownsinn.com/

The rates are $80+ but there is their Friendship Room with bunks at $40.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

No such thing as cheap in HF lol. Best bet is if you are walking the trail and going thru HF to stay at one of the shelters on either side of the town. Or if your driving to jump over to Bears Den and stay there before entering or leaving HF. Its 20 bucks a night and right down the road
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Although I have never stayed there, I know that there is a free C&O canal campground just a couple miles north of Harpers Ferry along the towpath. Called Huckelberry Hill: http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm. You would need to bring in water since they lock the pumps mid November.

There is also a KOA campground in Harpers FerryBolivar. I don't know if it's open in Nov. though. There are a couple of others as well, but again, I don't know their seasons.

Econolodge, Harpers Ferry, WV. 25 Union St. Hiker Friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KERRY View Post
    Econolodge, Harpers Ferry, WV. 25 Union St. Hiker Friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good tip, have stayed here. Friendly, helpful staff, hiker box, good breakfast, comfortable bed.

Journal Entries
    Images

The KOA is horrible. The tent sites were near a septic settling pond and a pump would kick on multiple times a night. Zero sleep.
    Please do not recommend this in future unless you have stayed there. I have, one and done.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The KOA is horrible. The tent sites were near a septic settling pond and a pump would kick on multiple times a night. Zero sleep.
    Please do not recommend this in future unless you have stayed there. I have, one and done.
    Please don't confuse informing of it's existence with a recommendation.

Tea Horse Hostel, I believe it was $30, which I thought was high at first but glad I stayed there, very clean, kitchen, close to places to eat.

Images

I also was going to suggest looking into the KOA. I stayed there a number of years ago, rented a cabin at the last minute, as they had a cancellation. Not exactly "cheap" by most standards, but not extreme, either. I believe it was around $40 or $50 - no heat, that was turned off for the season. Could have used the heat the night I was there, but it was perfectly dry in a storm.

A bit of a hike back into HF, I had a car at that point - beginning of my trip. Not an out of the question hike into town though. If you are here without a car, best bet MIGHT be to walk the road from the KOA to the NPS headquarters/parking lot, then hop on their shuttle bus into HF. Would have to look at the map to see if this is best, but, from my memory, it would be.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-24-2015 at 09:17.

Journal Entries

Stoney Brook Farms 15 min drive from HF (Hillsboro area) is open. They do work for stay/donations and if you call them they will come and get you. 540 668 7123 or 571 442 2834. Ask for Matt but anyone will do. Really nice people.
    L

Images

HI - Harpers Ferry Hostel – prices start around $22.00
    HI-Harpers Ferry Hostel and Campground is located on a bluff next to the C&O Canal Towpath, Appalachian Trail, and the Potomac River. just two miles from Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, HI - Harpers Ferry Hostel is a cosy lodge that stands high on a bluff, overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers.
    The hostel has a self-catering kitchen, dining area, common area with a fireplace, and a free guest use computer with Internet. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the building. The hostel also has porches for relaxing in the sun. The campgrounds surrounding the building offer use of picnic tables, grills, and the large fire pit.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

++ New Posts ++