WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default public transportation on the NET

anyone know of public transportation options on the NET or where i can find that info? thanks

Images

Hi Bill, if you want to go to the southern terminus in Guilford, take the Metro North train from NYC (or wherever you catch it from) up to New Haven. Then change at New Haven for the Shoreline East train and get off at Guilford. It's about a $4 fare from New Haven. In terms of other places to catch the NET off public transport, I think your next bet would be far, far up the line in Massachusetts at Amherst or Hadley, but I'll let the Massachusetts NET experts chime in from there!

Jane

p.s. PM me if you need some Guilford assistance or a shuttle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billreillyjr View Post
    anyone know of public transportation options on the NET or where i can find that info? thanks
    The NET passes lots of major transportation arteries, so there are several points of public transportation access. The crossing of Rt. 66 in Middlefield and Route 15, the Berlin Turnpike in Berlin likely will have public bus access. Check Connecticut Transit's website. Routes 4 and 6 in Farmington and Rt. 372 in Plainville/New Britain as well. Route 44 in West Hartford is on public bus routes - not sure about Simbury Road in Simsbury or Route 20 in East Granby or the Tarriffville area, but I'd bet so.

I don't know Western Mass as well, but the trail passes through highly settled areas south of the MassPike and so probably has lots of similar access points. Route 141 at Mt Tom and Route 5 are also likely access points, and the main state park visitor's center in the middle of the Holyoke Range definitely is has public buses - I've seen them. Can't remember if that's Skinner State Park or Holyoke State Park there.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Look into the PVTA for busses in West. Mass. Area. The Notch trailhead is on RT. 116 connecting Holyoke Range an Skinner on Rt 47

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

More MA options:

From the west side of the Connecticut River, it's a short hitch to Northampton which has bus, Amtrak, and car rental places.

At Rte 2 (Miller's River), you could hitch west to Greenfield which also has bus and train.

If you're going all the way to Monadnock, it's probably easiest to hitch to Keene which has bus service. I think the nearest place to get a train would be Brattleboro.

Images

Call me. I'll give you a lift.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

I can't help answer your question, but I have only about 70 miles left of the NET. Great trail! It does go through a fair amount of populated areas so I can't see transportation being too difficult.

If you are looking for mileage, trail descriptions, etc. you can check out: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/c...england-trail/

++ New Posts ++