WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

I've been wearing my Keens. Pennsy requires footware that protects your toes from the rock jammings. The Keens work well. I wear socks with them during cold weather & water proof socks last winter. the weight of boots and sandals together on a backpack trip is too much.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

roman legionnaires wore sandals and carried 100# packs... worked for them.

about 1 hr. NW of Harrisburg,Pennsylvania

I have hiked in sandals this past summer. I use them when my feet are starting to hurt. I have a birth defect in my right foot (my toes are curled toward the sole of my foot) which causes me to walk on the ball of my foot. It is very hard to find good fitting boots and shoes. Although I have found a pair that are doing very well-they are timberland gore-tex and so far has been the best boot I have worn. I carry the sandals on my pack just in case.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I've done some backpacking in Chacos. I like them, but the heel-strap dug right into a weak part of my achilles and caused some problems.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

If you do decide on Keen's stick with the Newport H2 I beleive it's called. I wore a pair of those from K all the way to central mass and loved them. Switched to the Taos because it was rated as an actual hiking shoe and don't like them a bit. I don't understand why companies feel that for a shoe to be hiked in it has to be constructed of leather.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Default Chacos question

I tried on Z1s and Z2s in the store today. I didn't much like the toe strap on the Z2s...can anyone tell me what benefit that thing is supposed to give? It could be that I just need to get used to it, but I felt more comfortable in the Z1s. That said, I felt my toes slipping a bit against the foot bed in both shoes (though less in the Z2s). It was enough that I couldn't imagine wearing these on the trail and not getting bad blisters in that area from the rubbing. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it typical and somehow does not lead to blisters? I tried 2 sizes and both had the problem. Thanks!

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Ah, I hadn't seen this thread before... good to know I'm not the only crazy person hiking in sandals!! I just got Teva Terra-Fi 2's, with a fairly serious tread on the bottom, and tried them out on 8 miles of hiking last week (including some slick mud). They felt wonderful and didn't give me blisters. No socks for me... my feet like to breathe!

Quote Originally Posted by aburnce
    I didn't much like the toe strap on the Z2s...can anyone tell me what benefit that thing is supposed to give?
    I grew up hating nothing else more than the thong in flip-flops. Nevertheless, I went with the frequent advice to get Z2s. I never looked back. I have not worn Z1s outside of the store, but I have extensively worn various models of Tevas (including for a thru-hike). I find that the toe strap adds much anchoring of my foot to the sole, especially as my toes lift up a bit on each step. Having the big toe more anchored allows me to place the front of the sandal with more precision. It also blocks my foot from sliding forward (like on downhills), which was a common event for my in my Tevas that lead to smashed toes many times.

Again, I hated the thought of the strap between my toes at first, but I went with it and now I find it very natural feeling. You can always keep the toe strap portion a little loose at first to get started. You can also tug it tight down to the footbed whenever you want, like if you want to wear socks.

Quote Originally Posted by aburnce
    That said, I felt my toes slipping a bit against the foot bed in both shoes (though less in the Z2s)....Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it typical and somehow does not lead to blisters?
    I can't tell exactly what you mean here. My toes naturally lift upwards as I step. This is something they cannot do when crammed inside a shoe, but something that is natural in sandals and barefoot. But, this has never caused irritation for me.

Make sure your heel is all the way back when you tighten the straps. The heel strap is not part of the continuous strap and cannot be adjusted, so fit it first. When that is done, the main strap can pull quite tight and if I tightened mine all the way down, I don't think my foot would move much at all accross the bed.

As for blisters, I firmly believe everyone is too different to generalize an answer. You may get some answer below, but I say what happens to me may not happen to you--period. That said, the only irritation I have ever had with Chacos comes from the following: 1) when wet, the straps can cut into the soft tops of my feet (and trails are often wet); 2) on humid hot days of long walking, the textured pattern on the footbed can rub raw the bottoms of my toes; and 3) in the first couple of weeks owning my new pair, the straps were stiff and cut the tops of my feet a bit and the textured pattern roughed up my feet--but I got over both issues fairly quickly.

Bottom line: It's hard to believe this now, but if you go Chaco, in time they will become one of your favorite purchases ever.

Images

I just ordered the new CROCS Off Road Hiker shoes...I am going to do the JMT with them. After 4 prs of Trail Runners and Hiking Boots and Light Hiking Shoes old fashion leather boots...all failed me.
    I have hiked in regular Crocs before and Teva's...but the Crocs are far more comfortable to me.
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

bite sandals are made for hiking. they have toe guards. i like them.

http://www.coastlineadventures.com/ca1/adwear/bite.html

I hiked the PCT in 2004 only in Chacos. Yahtzee has probably put on 3000 AT miles in Chacos. I never intended to hike through the High Sierra with them but the shoes I had sent to Kennedy Meadows were too small. Someone was right to point out that your feet tend to dry out and crack. My feet cracked pretty bad even while wearing socks almost the whole way. But Tha Wookie told me to use a pumice stone on them, put balm on my feet at night, and wear socks to bed. It probably would have solved my problems if I had been consistent with it. However, I am sure the effort helped it from getting much worse.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Curious ...for those of you who hikin Chacos. Do you wear socks or hike barefoot in the sandals ??

I've evolved over the years from boots to trail shoes and I'm starting to wonder if sandals are next for me ...at least in the warmer months.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Thumbs up

Been fooling around in a pair of Teva Wraptors recently, 3 and 4 day section hikes, dayhikes, nothing too demanding. Haven't been out in a real good rain storm, so the jury's still out on the tread issue, but pretty good so far.

I thru-hiked SOBO in 2000 while prototyping a pair of Chacos for them. Used two pair for the trip.

As far as socks go, I used 2 pair of cheap polyester dress socks (worn together) for most of the trip. Gave me the "old dude from Florida" look, but the socks dried in no time.

Getting through the snow and stuff down south was interesting, but I eventually came up with a somewhat workable solution with Sealskins and Smartwools. And neoprene. And Mucklucs. And... (tried a bunch of stuff)

I would like sandals with more cushion, like runners. I had this pair ok Nikes once that were sort of open on the sides and I made the mistake of trying them barefoot but of course a lot of debris got in there and gave be some bad blisters. After suffering for awhile I waded through this cold stream and then fixed my feet and the shoes up as best I could with duct-tape and then finally got the idea of hiking barefoot for a few km.

It was awesome. The trail was soft with pine needles but for the occassional rock or root, but the pine needles and pine tar and the soft massaging and cool drying action really helped my feet.

I am not suggesting hiking barefoot all the time, though I understand that some do and that's OK. I am just saying we shouldn't treat it as too much of a taboo. Try going for a few 100m or a few km now and then.

Still looking for the perfect running sandals.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

The more you hike barefoot, the easier it is. In fact that's true for going barefoot in general.

I met a girl (around age 20) who only wears shoes when she's forced to. She goes everywhere barefoot, and carries flipflops in her bag in case someone hassles her... but it's amazing the number of places she can get away with it (including convenience stores). She can walk on all kinds of surfaces, including hot pebbly concrete, with no problems because she has developed calluses as thick and hard as the sole of any shoe.

We were travelling together and she inspired me, so I tried it for a day. I walked all over the marketplace in downtown Monterrey, Mexico, and rode home to Texas (stopping in a restaurant and a convenience store in the US) barefoot. My calluses weren't as developed as hers, so I had a few painful moments, but it was a liberating experience. And surprisingly, nobody on either side of the border gave me a hard time about it. I am not maverick enough to do it every day, but I found it *can* be done.

So yeah, if you're tired of messing with boots/shoes/sandals, just work up some good calluses and go barefoot!

Quote Originally Posted by LIVESTRONG
    I don't see why anyone wears boots anymore except for cold winter hiking.
    I have turned and badly sprained both ankles multiple times over the course of 20 years. The last time (missed the last step going down a flight of stairs) was bad enough to require a cast and physical therapy. So I continue to trudge along in my high, leather, 43 oz. EMS Summit GTX IIs. Lower shoes, even with ankle braces, just don't cut it with a 35 lb. pack.

I tape my ankles for softball, but I can't see doing that every day on the trail!

I'd LOVE to hear any other suggestions: after 9 hours my feet sure are hot and sore!

One thing I've found with using sandels ( i have the keen boulder/water) is how hot the bottom gets. When I use the trail runners or just the straight up boots, the heat is bareable, but with the sandels, the bottoms of my feet get so sweaty and hot. The same happens with or without socks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush
    The more you hike barefoot, the easier it is. In fact that's true for going barefoot in general......So yeah, if you're tired of messing with boots/shoes/sandals, just work up some good calluses and go barefoot!
    Amen brother! Over the last year or so I have started hiking barefoot more and more. Just yesterday I did a 7.5 mile loop around a local lake in a state park barefoot. A coworker who went with me was amazed to say the least but I've found that by challenging conventional wisdom once in awhile you may surprise yourself with what the truth really is. There is a whole other thread that could be started on this topic (which I may initiate).

But in keeping with the original intent of this thread: Hiking in Sandals... When not barefoot I like to hike in my Teva Terra-Fi's. I don't wear socks with them and have never had a problem with chafing or blisters. But of course my feet are so tough from all that barefootin'! When I've hiked with my son's Boy Scout troop I tend to fall back to Reebok walking shoes to abide by their seemingly abhoration of anything as unconventional as a sandal.

I will say this, there is a slight correlation between the gait one should use while wearing sandals or hiking barefoot. Since sandals are so open and offer less protection from side and front impacts than enclosed shoes, you can't just go walking willy-nilly in them. You have to LOOK where your step will land to avoid injury from things like briars and twigs. While barefooting, you have to go the extra measure of trying to land on the ball of your foot instead of the heel. This lets your body fully use the natural spring in the arch of your foot for shock absorption and allows you the ability to rapidly shift your weight to the heel if you happen to step on something sharp.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Actually I'm a "sister," but you had no way of knowing....

I agree, hiking in sandals or barefoot requires you to pay more attention to where you're stepping, so that you don't collect debris (in sandals) or land on a sharp rock/twig/piece of glass (barefoot). But I think the more you do it, the tougher your feet are and the more automatic it becomes. It's something of a trade-off; you may need to exercise more care, but it gives your feet so much air and freedom. It's worth it, to me.

For the people who say they need ankle support... if past experience indicates that you easily get ankle injuries, you probably DO need the support. Everyone's different. I rarely roll my ankles, and when I do I've never sprained them (knock on wood), so a stiff boot seems unnecessary *for me*. HYOH.

Ditto for arch support. My arches support themselves, but I know that's not true for everyone.

I love my Tevas. The sole is springy, almost like getting a foot massage as I walk, and that combined with the free passage of air lifts my spirits in and of itself. I wear them as often as I can, even to work when I think I can get away with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++