WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail runner experts...

Please help me select a new pair of hiking shoes! There is nothing locally to me so I have to order to try on shoes....

I have a fairly wide forefoot (not super wide) , very high arches, narrow heels and low ankle volume. Neutral support, I think. I struggled for years to get ski boots to fit before finally getting the perfect fit. I wore those boots waaaay beyond their useful life and have never found an acceptable replacement. I have been told by many boot fitters I have a difficult fit.

I have hiked in Brooks Cascadia 7s my last two pairs. I did like them but maybe I can do better. I am usually a size 9.5 and I got my Cascadias in 10. I found them little long in the toe and a little tight in the forefoot. Felt kinda like an elf! When they were new they were slightly uncomfortable if I wore them sitting as they were too narrow. Not a big problem and after a few days hiking they were fine. I had no pain in them while walking, which is a first for my feet.

I have tried some shoes that are wider overall, but then I get too much play in my heel. Tightening the laces to compensate puts too much pressure on the top of my foot, despite trying many lacing styles.

I run, on pavement, in Asics Cumulus size 9.5, laced in styles (different for each foot) that put less pressure on the tops of my feet. They work great for me running , but I cannot walk or sit around in them as they are too narrow across my feet. I am short and heavy with some chronic knee and lower back issues if that matters.

The Brooks Cascadias do work reasonably well, and I am okay with them if there is no better shoe for me. I am just looking to improve my comfort if I can.

Thanks for any advice!

Arch

Journal Entries

Running warehouse has free shipping and return shipping, and a shoe fit software that shows you size relative to shoes you already like. Plus, you can return after you have used, but for store credit only. Try a bunch, people like different things. I can't stand the shoes a lot like.

There is no problem ordering to try. I have ordered up to 4 PR of shoes at one time to try between zappos and running warehouse. Only limit is ability to keep up with them.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-12-2014 at 22:08.

I have no problem ordering to try, I just don't k now what to try...

I can't speak to the 7's since I've never tried them, but several of the reviews I read through before ordering the 8's made reference to design changes to address the 'sloppy fit' complaints they'd received on the 7's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Please help me select a new pair of hiking shoes! There is nothing locally to me so I have to order to try on shoes....

I have a fairly wide forefoot (not super wide) , very high arches, narrow heels and low ankle volume. Neutral support, I think. I struggled for years to get ski boots to fit before finally getting the perfect fit. I wore those boots waaaay beyond their useful life and have never found an acceptable replacement. I have been told by many boot fitters I have a difficult fit.

I have hiked in Brooks Cascadia 7s my last two pairs. I did like them but maybe I can do better. I am usually a size 9.5 and I got my Cascadias in 10. I found them little long in the toe and a little tight in the forefoot. Felt kinda like an elf! When they were new they were slightly uncomfortable if I wore them sitting as they were too narrow. Not a big problem and after a few days hiking they were fine. I had no pain in them while walking, which is a first for my feet.

I have tried some shoes that are wider overall, but then I get too much play in my heel. Tightening the laces to compensate puts too much pressure on the top of my foot, despite trying many lacing styles.

I run, on pavement, in Asics Cumulus size 9.5, laced in styles (different for each foot) that put less pressure on the tops of my feet. They work great for me running , but I cannot walk or sit around in them as they are too narrow across my feet. I am short and heavy with some chronic knee and lower back issues if that matters.

The Brooks Cascadias do work reasonably well, and I am okay with them if there is no better shoe for me. I am just looking to improve my comfort if I can.

Thanks for any advice!

Arch
    I also tried the Cascadia shoes and liked them but they were a regular not wide. They don't make the Cascadia in wide I needed a little wider shoe and the running store suggested a New Balance trail runner which looks a lot like the Cascadia and is available in wide. Got them last week and they seem to fit me well, but have not put any miles on them.
    Hope this helps

4-iron

4-iron, which model NBdid you get in? I have heard NB has a wider fit. I maybe will give them a try.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Journal Entries

I have no problem ordering to try, I just don't k now what to try...
    I look for neutral shoes, around 9-13 oz, lots of mesh for breath ability and drainage, aggressive sole, moderate drop, moderate cushioning, and fit. Once you narrow it down, there's only a few shoes that will meet criteria.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Try joesnewbalanceoutlet.com - they sell New Balance shoes, and they tell you which last was used for the shoe in most cases. They have a link to the lasts (foot model) so you can pick shoes with narrow heels, high insteps, and plenty of room in the toes if that's what you need.

Images

4-iron, which model NBdid you get in? I have heard NB has a wider fit. I maybe will give them a try.

Thanks everyone for the help!
    New Balance Leadville 1210 is the model that fit me as it comes in a 2E wide fit. Don't have enough experience with them yet to recommend other than they fit better than the Brooks for me.

4-iron

Ever considered sandals made for trail running?
    http://www.lunasandals.com/

I've worn Brooks Cascadias, and Asics Kyano 16's and found them both similar in comfort to my now La Sportiva Wildcats. Recently blew out the Wildcats but because of the comfort they provided me, I'd buy em again...give em a shot. Good luck with what ever you buy, it's always been crap shoot for me as well, but sometimes we find one that just feels right....like walkin' on a clouds.

Have you tried anything by Treksta? They make trail runners and boots with a wide forefoot and high arches. I recently picked up a pair of Edicts at a ridiculously discounted price, and like them so far. My only complaint is that the arch support is a little too much for my flat feet, but it sounds like that's not a problem for you.

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered a pair of la sportiva and a pair of new balance. Hopefully one of those will work out.

Ive never heard of Treksta, I will look into them.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

++ New Posts ++