WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What is your favorite Frozen Pizza?

We are going to offer frozen pizzas for sale at the hostel next season. That should give our kitchen oven a real workout.

What brand do you suggest...DiGiorno, Tombstone, Totinos, Red Baron, other ???
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

if I eat pizza it's Digiorno supreme but I usually don't eat pizza while on a long distance hike, I go for the Cheese Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries, Milk shakes, and chicken nuggets that sort of thang.

Journal Entries

Tombstone use to be great when they first came out, but the quality has seemed to fall off a cliff many years ago. I can't speak for others.

I think they had Tombstone at Bear's Den. I normally don't eat frozen pizza but I have to say that probably any brand is great after hiking!

Anything hot, frozen not so much.

California kitchen BBQ chix is great...lil pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A special treat for the celiac or otherwise gluten-free hikers (we're out there...) would be to have some Conte's gluten free on hand: http://contespasta.com/products/gluten-free/

My local Wegman's can't keep it in stock. Best part about it is that its a bake-in-bag, so you could offer a true gluten-free alternative with no need to change storage, handling, or preparation procedures to avoid cross contamination.
    Last edited by Offshore; 11-17-2014 at 15:12.

ellio's peperoni or plain, have some diced peppers, and onions to spruce them up, and a generic Italian seasoning shaker, some crushed red peppers...good to go!

RUNT ''13''

Journal Entries

DiGiorno Supreme Garlic Bread

Totinos are cheap ($1-$1.50) so they might be good for a hostel but I don't think 1 is going to do much to a hiker appetite. Digiorno are a bit more expensive and a bit more filling (should feed 2 normal people). If you have Costco, I would get the Costco brand which can get you 3 or 4 for $10 (depending on flavor) and would be filling and cheap at a happy medium.

Hunt Brothers Pizza. Had it Wolf Pen Gap Store/Hostel at Sucches Ga. last year . Sure was tasty.
    Grey Ghost

I don't think it will matter much what kind of pizza you stock. If it's there hikers will buy it and eat it. Make it easy on yourself get pizza that matches your facilities and convenience to hikers. Not fussy to heat up, hot, tasty, cheap, maybe w/ a shaker of garlic, oregano, extra Parm cheese, etc on the side. If hikers smell someone else cooking it it they will come. They will buy it. You will have a hard time keeping anything with those attributes in stock. It'll be as easy as selling crack to a crack addict.

Market Basket house brand is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Digiorno are a bit more expensive and a bit more filling (should feed 2 normal people).
    Challenge accepted! (Just kidding, I tackle one solo occasionally)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    ellio's peperoni or plain, have some diced peppers, and onions to spruce them up, and a generic Italian seasoning shaker, some crushed red peppers...good to go!

RUNT ''13''

Ouch! I grew up on that... can't you do better? Quality proofed dough (3 days) and quality ingredients...

As for the oven and the electric or gas (gas is best) I ran into a couple that eat so much pizza at their parties splurged for this in the back yard....

an Australian Pizza oven run on wood... I was impressed but thought it was small. it was heavy duty and ran on small split wood at 15" cuts.

wildcat_pizza_oven_3.jpg

My point is I think you will run the expensive family oven into the ground and should take the time to find a surplus pizza oven (small) or commercial grade that can support that kind of activity. There are plenty of "pizza places going out of business" after they are gone pickers clear out the equipment and it shows up in center city at a warehouse for cheap.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Here are some review's that show up that won't be posted - skip the first three. In fact go down to Pepperoni....

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/prod...t-frozen-pizza

Turns out the wife buys the better DiGiorno on sale and I prefer Trader Joe.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Albertson's has Culinary Circle rising crust frozen pizza: pepperoni is excellent.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-20-2014 at 15:21.

Believe it or not but those Walmart supremes are pretty good.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
    Hunt Brothers Pizza. Had it Wolf Pen Gap Store/Hostel at Sucches Ga. last year . Sure was tasty.
    That woman makes some great pizzas. We gave her little oven a work out.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Default Pizza....???

Having been a manager of a pizza delivery place back in collage I got to say the freasher the better.

You might look into the make your own deal.... The sauce is key.....pepperoni is easy...the cheese needs to be as oil free as you can get it... Pappa Johns is the best delivery pizza at this time....

Frozen---Degernio .....Red barron comes in 2nd.....

The Pepperage Farm is not bad...
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++