WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The issue that concerns me is not so much the possibility of groundwater reservoirs being contaminated directly via the drilling shaft but through improper disposal of fracking fluids once they come back up the well bore. This is some nasty stuff and must be disposed of properly.
    The chemicals are the issue I have...I don't have a problem with sustainable forestry or other uses with our public land!!! I don't care if your a republican or democrat! I care about doing what's right for our planet so my kids can experience the same great places we have been blessed with..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    Our national forest lands are designated as multiple use areas. All types of timber production, mining, and oil and gas extraction takes place on NF lands, as well it should. The Federal managers have made the only correct decision they can make--allowing mineral development on public lands. It's their job to do so. Even the President and his Secretary of the Interior are on board with hydraulic fracturing.

Disregarding the "Gaslands" propaganda, repeatedly proven inaccurate and downright fraudulent, find one single example of groundwater pollution, surface water pollution, or induced seismic activity which arose from hydraulic fracturing. Take your time. Do a lot of reading. Look hard. Not a single state or Federal government agency report linking hydraulic fracturing to pollution has been published--and this with tens of thousands of fractured wells developed in the last decade. The sad fact is that Hollywood has sold lots of people a bill of goods on this issue. There's nothing there besides movie ticket sales and Oscar nominations for "documentaries".

AO
    The owner of a oil and gas drilling company was sentenced to 28 months in prison for dumping tens of thousands of gallons of toxic fracting waste into the Mahoning River.
    More walking, less talking.

I for one cannot be a hypocrite and say I don't like oil and gas. I love it I could not go backpacking without it. All my gear is lightweight plastic. And I could not get a ride to Springer Mountain without it. I would not be able to get clean seeing that soap also has a crude oil in it. I would not be able to buy Trail food without it. Lastly I would not be able to earn the money I need to hike. So if I want to live the life I want to live I have to say drill baby drill.

If oil prices keep going down, lots of unconventional drilling will no longer be economical. The oil service industry is already reeling from recent declines which is one of the reasons for the Haliburton/Baker Hughes proposed merger. If oil gets down to $50-60, lots of these unconventional activities will cease without any regulatory intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    Politicians are on board with fracking not because it's good environmental policy but because it's good energy policy. Let's not confuse the two.
    And also, politicians do not want to lose out on lobbyist money.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    When God becomes the rule of law, we have none....
    Bingo. Someone gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I for one cannot be a hypocrite and say I don't like oil and gas. I love it I could not go backpacking without it. All my gear is lightweight plastic. And I could not get a ride to Springer Mountain without it. I would not be able to get clean seeing that soap also has a crude oil in it. I would not be able to buy Trail food without it. Lastly I would not be able to earn the money I need to hike. So if I want to live the life I want to live I have to say drill baby drill.
    I agree to an extent....we currently depend on it for many uses but our future cannot!! We must keep progressing to evolve to other sustainable energy sources....without destroying the earth in the mean time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This thread went rather to political mudslinging rather fast and serves no purpose in being open. Thanks for the info however as people can now make an informed opinion about the issue.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++