WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I once e-mailed the SAK people about their useless tweezers. Copied them a link about tick removal and how important this is. I would think if they could make a pointed tip tweezer, they would sell a lot of knives. I have one of those plastic tick removal tools in my FAK. Nothing weighs nothing, but that is pretty close.
    You could make yours pointed very easily.

Gerber Dime. Very light and compact. Two blades in Leatherman style folding pliers. Light and compact. Scissors work well and are spring loaded.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Dime-M...nyL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sorry... More to add on Gerber Dime.

The purple is only $14.95 and is fooking beautiful.

It's a little bit larger than the micro SAK but much smaller than regular SAK.

The blades do NOT lock in place.

I liked it so much I bought a second one.

Default favorite light weight pocket knife w/scissors?

I have a Leatherman Micra. It has a nice pair of scissors in it plus a pair of tweezers.It also weighs 48 grams. It seems to carry everything I need on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is a thought I would share that as young boys and girls most start with SAK as its a cheap mass produced stainless steel knife. Just like we fall in love with our first car, they generally turn out to be a great start. In a recent conversation with my wife of thirty years her car was about to have far too much work and needed replacement. From a luxury Caddy she was looking at a Kia or a small chevy. I said keep looking, and she found a very affordable Prius, that fit her needs.

It's same process for picking out a pocket knife. There are times when I have had to do a emergency trim of toe nails, remove a splinter, alter a broken zipper or fix something with a cutting tool. A locking blade is there to keep you safe. There are harder steels that stay sharp and light. some companies now have a lifetime warranty and will replace a broken one. The last thing anyone needs is a failure on the trail of good equipment. Hense I have given away all of my SAK for a collection of Leatherman and yes I broke the pliers once... It was replaced in a month.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I use the Gerber Dime. Has all the through hiking essentials: scissors, pliers, blade, tweezers, bottle opener.

I used my Gerber Dime to fix a zipper that had come off the track in the middle of a 250 mile bikepacking trip. Cool! I felt so Macgyver.

Images

I have a Gerber Dime that is my EDC, but someone gave me the smallest Leatherman (it has a scissors, too). Between the two, Gerber is smaller but the Leatherman's scissors were better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

there is definitely a room for a company that makes great scissors within a multitool. Leatherman CS is the only game in town AFAIC but I wish it was even better. I like a good pair of scissors to cut my fingernails and hopefully be capable to cut my toenails too.
    Let me go

Gerber dime is pretty good as well.

+1 for Leatherman CS. The scissors are solid. I've handed them around the picnic table at a shelter during a few mealtimes, for people who were struggling with their "gapped" SAK scissors.

Images

Victorinox Classic w/ P38 Can Opener attached... 0.9oz.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++