WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Jgaisser; starting June 1, flipping out of New York City might be a good choice, it's easy to get to the trail from there, Amtrack has a stop on the AT
    Carbo; A friend of mine actually completely tore his bicep ligament, I forget how long it took for him to heal, I'll guess 3 months or so he was back at 100% Be Well
    Danger; When I was 25 and racing bicycles I was about 6-7% body fat, a point or 2 more than the other guys. When I got to 5% I felt real bad, lack of strength and endurance. You should be okay below 10%. Not sure how this changes at our ages. Carrying extra wt. to start with doesn't make sense. knees endurance etc. Extra cheese burgers in town, quart of chocolate milk, good ice cream.

I have a question for all us Flip Floppers...

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I would like your input, please. It seems to me that having a group of hikers---both experienced and not---starting a long distance hike at a place to which they will return (after 1100+ miles) offers a unique opportunity to gather information and statistics on the nature, condition, and purpose of their journeys, both collectively and individually.

So, my question is, if you were willing to fill out a brief questionnaire regarding your hike before you left from Harpers Ferry, what types of questions do you think would be the best to ask? Conversely, when you return to Harpers Ferry from the northern terminus to continue your walk southbound, what kinds of questions would make good follow-ups?

This is just in the idea stage. What do you all think?
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I saw this today and thought of our group. Attachment 30334

Images

Treehugger, Humminbard, Charliehorse, Dangerdave, and all,

Just want to say thanks to you all for the thoughts and encouragement. It really pulled me out of a funk when I read your posts.

The good news is the Doc said surgery is not recommended for my ruptured tendon. A few weeks of physical therapy should get me going good enough for hitting the trail as planned, just minor loss of strength in my arm.

Again, thank you!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Treehugger, Humminbard, Charliehorse, Dangerdave, and all,

Just want to say thanks to you all for the thoughts and encouragement. It really pulled me out of a funk when I read your posts.

The good news is the Doc said surgery is not recommended for my ruptured tendon. A few weeks of physical therapy should get me going good enough for hitting the trail as planned, just minor loss of strength in my arm.

Again, thank you!
    Good to hear - means your doc feels it will self-repair with proper rehab. Sort of a similar thing when I ruptured my LCL in Feb - worked and rehab'ed the knee for a few weeks and it's just about as good as new! I am sure you will be fine in no time.

Good news Carbo. Let us know if we can help with wrapping your arm or such.

Images

That's great news Carbo!

Great news Carbo.

I'll throw my ailment in to the ring. My right shoulder was separated many years back and now part of my bone is higher on that side. My pack does a number riding across my shoulder day after day. Any ideas to help with extra types of padding?

Images

Great news Carbo! See you down the trail.

Too big to buy hiking clothes? I did my first pass at EMS and discovered I'm too big to hike. Not really, but going by the stores max sizes in shorts and pants of 40, I'm Sol.

Have to look more, but I might not be able to get those fancy zip out pants/shorts in my size.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    Too big to buy hiking clothes? I did my first pass at EMS and discovered I'm too big to hike. Not really, but going by the stores max sizes in shorts and pants of 40, I'm Sol.

Have to look more, but I might not be able to get those fancy zip out pants/shorts in my size.
    You don't need them. A lot of hikers hike in shorts and add the bottom of their long johns under them when they want long pants.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    You don't need them. A lot of hikers hike in shorts and add the bottom of their long johns under them when they want long pants.
    Correct!!! I'm with Jimmy .. Once you get walking you will jettison some of that stuff in favor of multi-use clothing. Example (and I am sure everybody has their own):
    - Long johns and shorts accomplish the same thing as long pants. If you are still cold, put some 4 oz rain pants on top. THEN you will be wind-free (and pretty hot).
    - Sleeping Bag/quilt - makes an excellent comforter for nighttime use sitting around (if needed). So why load up on fleece/thick down/ etc?
    - Need a wind breaker? Use your rain jacket - if you get real cold put your thin fleece or lightwt down sweater under it. You will be downright hot til it hits around 20F.
    - Got a silnylon poncho? Maybe that's your groundcloth instead of an extra piece of tyvek (or a manufactured footprint). Can also be a nice small tarp for having lunch in the rain....
    - Gloves? Who needs 'em? Use your 'sleeping-only' socks.
    - Toilet Paper? Who needs it?.....uh, ahem, never mind....

Lastly: Departure is in May. Do an Accuweather projection of Harpers Ferry on May 2.

Hope this helps!

You know, Jimmyjam, maybe folks can post cursory gear lists here for info....

br

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Correct!!! I'm with Jimmy .. Once you get walking you will jettison some of that stuff in favor of multi-use clothing. Example (and I am sure everybody has their own):
    - Long johns and shorts accomplish the same thing as long pants. If you are still cold, put some 4 oz rain pants on top. THEN you will be wind-free (and pretty hot).
    - Sleeping Bag/quilt - makes an excellent comforter for nighttime use sitting around (if needed). So why load up on fleece/thick down/ etc?
    - Need a wind breaker? Use your rain jacket - if you get real cold put your thin fleece or lightwt down sweater under it. You will be downright hot til it hits around 20F.
    - Got a silnylon poncho? Maybe that's your groundcloth instead of an extra piece of tyvek (or a manufactured footprint). Can also be a nice small tarp for having lunch in the rain....
    - Gloves? Who needs 'em? Use your 'sleeping-only' socks.
    - Toilet Paper? Who needs it?.....uh, ahem, never mind....

Lastly: Departure is in May. Do an Accuweather projection of Harpers Ferry on May 2.

Hope this helps!

You know, Jimmyjam, maybe folks can post cursory gear lists here for info....

br
    This is good info! Thanks Brancher. If ya'll don't mind, I'd like a bit of input on clothes and a few other things. I am leaving in a little over a week and the single hardest thing to decide is what clothing to bring. April is a tough month weather-wise. To start, I don't think I am bringing pants but will wear the lightweight base layer bottoms with shorts with short sleeve merino shirt and a lightweight button down fishing shirt over that, and a lightweight nylon baseball cap. I have another base layer top and bottom for sleeping and alpaca sox for camp only. Bringing three pairs of sox; two Darn tough and two pairs of thin liners, and one Wright sock pair. Two undies, one compression short and two bras, if you must know . I have a lightweight rain jacket and pants and a very lightweight (3.5 oz) windshirt that I end up using almost all the time. Love it!! Also, a puffy jacket for camp and/or pillow. Merino gloves, overmitts for cold rains, fleece beanie, buff, and mosquito head net and pants because the ticks are upon us! I am bringing a UL Umbrella so I don't know if I need the rain jacket and pants, and water resistant wind shirt to go with it. Or maybe just until May, then ditch the jacket and pants. THOUGHTS?

Also, I have a question about sleeping bag rating. What do you think for a central VA April start? I have a heavier 15 degree or lighter 25 that can also be quilted. I also have a silk liner but didn't know if it's worth bringing. My pad is an xTherm. Kind of awesome!

Additionally, my ULA Circuit is stuffed like a tick with my cold weather load of just under 30lbs with water and about 3 days food. But it barely fits everything. Do ya'll use compression sacks for sleeping bags or tents?

Last points. I am Wilderness First Aid certified so I am bringing a slightly beefier 1st aid kit that the average joe. YOU? Water treatment: I was going to bring both Aqua Mira and Sawyer mini and drop what I don't like/need. THOUGHTS?

Thanks guys!! I appreciate any info.

Images

Eager to hear answers to Treehugger's questions, because my gear is almost identical, except that I have a hammock, tarp and quilts setup. Also love my ULA Circuit, but it's definitely a tight squeeze to get stuff in. I tried to go bigger with an Osprey 58 but they don't make one in XS, and my torso is 15 inches.

Like TH, I carry way more than usual in the first aid pack. I just recertified my WFR, which makes me feel like I should really be carrying a small ambulance. As for clothing, I wonder if I should bring both R2 fleece AND light puffy? For day-hike temps in 30s and 40s I wear merino 150 short-sleeve plus merino 260 long-sleeve, plus 3-oz. wind-shirt, plus R2 fleece (and hat, gloves, buff, DRi-Ducks ultralight suit). I carry a puffy for standing around cold. Questions: camp-and-water shoes? filter and/or Aqua Mira? hiking shoes or trail runners? gaiters or no gaiters? I guess to some extent much of this is an individual needs versus wants issue, just like what kind of food to carry, but it does really help to hear what more experienced backpackers choose to pack.

On a separate topic, I'm going to have to return home for a couple of days after 2-3 weeks out. Is it likely to be easy to rent a car someplace?

Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post
    Eager to hear answers to Treehugger's questions, because my gear is almost identical, except that I have a hammock, tarp and quilts setup. Also love my ULA Circuit, but it's definitely a tight squeeze to get stuff in. I tried to go bigger with an Osprey 58 but they don't make one in XS, and my torso is 15 inches.

Like TH, I carry way more than usual in the first aid pack. I just recertified my WFR, which makes me feel like I should really be carrying a small ambulance. As for clothing, I wonder if I should bring both R2 fleece AND light puffy? For day-hike temps in 30s and 40s I wear merino 150 short-sleeve plus merino 260 long-sleeve, plus 3-oz. wind-shirt, plus R2 fleece (and hat, gloves, buff, DRi-Ducks ultralight suit). I carry a puffy for standing around cold. Questions: camp-and-water shoes? filter and/or Aqua Mira? hiking shoes or trail runners? gaiters or no gaiters? I guess to some extent much of this is an individual needs versus wants issue, just like what kind of food to carry, but it does really help to hear what more experienced backpackers choose to pack.

On a separate topic, I'm going to have to return home for a couple of days after 2-3 weeks out. Is it likely to be easy to rent a car someplace?

Thanks everybody.
    Camp shoes: yes, I have croc like shoes, but lighter. Trail shoes, trail runners are pretty similar, dirty girl gaiters to keep the crud out of your shoes. I've heard from people that fleece and puffy are not nec. once cold season is past. Where does 2-3 weeks put you on the trail? Oh and one more thing: 15 inch torso?! Damn, I wish!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    .......I am Wilderness First Aid certified so I am bringing a slightly beefier 1st aid kit that the average joe. YOU? Water treatment: I was going to bring both Aqua Mira and Sawyer mini and drop what I don't like/need. THOUGHTS?....
    Well I guess between you and Humminbard, I really don't NEED a first aid kit! Just kidding. My kit changes back and forth, and everybody's different. Bandaids, 1 ace bandage, ibuprophen, ear plugs, etc, etc. I did WFA years ago and came away with newly acquired flares, SAMS Splint, epinephrine, snake bite kit, medicinal garlic and chicken bones, a cure for webbed feet, charts and graphs, smoke signal instruction manual, flak jacket, a small statue of Jimmy Swaggert, and 14 pictures of famous republicans. Since then, I've simplified a little.

I carry both aqua mira and Sawyer squeeze. I used to carry only aqua mira but this Sawyer thing seems to be like a dream come true!

Okay, I'm kidding about my WFA class. I did take the class, but they didn't sell me all that stuff. I refused the Jimmy Swaggert statue.

INRE CLOTHES: Layering is next to Godliness.
    COROLLARY: Multi-use IS Godliness

Oh, wait...... Are you a hammocker? Then everything's changed.......pm me if you want some (really bad) advice.

Images

Treehugger, I think you have a sound list. I'm using an EE Rev X quilt rated at 30* before the overstuff. I also have a silk liner to use mainly to help keep my quilt clean. My gear list is here on my journal if anyone is interested: http://postholer.com/journal/viewGea...&event_id=2297
    i will be changing out the kinsman jacket for a myog vest.

Exciting stuff! It's getting close, friends! I'm leaning towards a skirt with bike type shorts underneath. I love the freedom. I'm leaving my Primus Eta Pak Lite stove at home (which I love) in favor of the lighter Pocket Rocket. I don't have a windscreen for it, but hoping it will still work out ok. As usual, for me my biggest worry is carrying enough coffee/creamer! Via is my choice, but that dang dry flavored creamer is not my favorite. I guess I'm going to sacrifice my liquid French Vanilla for the trail:-(

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    I have a question for all us Flip Floppers...

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I would like your input, please. It seems to me that having a group of hikers---both experienced and not---starting a long distance hike at a place to which they will return (after 1100+ miles) offers a unique opportunity to gather information and statistics on the nature, condition, and purpose of their journeys, both collectively and individually.

So, my question is, if you were willing to fill out a brief questionnaire regarding your hike before you left from Harpers Ferry, what types of questions do you think would be the best to ask? Conversely, when you return to Harpers Ferry from the northern terminus to continue your walk southbound, what kinds of questions would make good follow-ups?

This is just in the idea stage. What do you all think?
    I've been thinking of your question Dave. I think it's too difficult for me at this juncture to come up with anything meaningful for you though. I am so preoccupied with the journey that lays ahead that I can't think of much else. I personally think this is a good question for former thru hikers like Laurie P and others. I think it is a good idea none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    I've been thinking of your question Dave. I think it's too difficult for me at this juncture to come up with anything meaningful for you though. I am so preoccupied with the journey that lays ahead that I can't think of much else. I personally think this is a good question for former thru hikers like Laurie P and others. I think it is a good idea none the less.
    OK. This is something I've wondered about. Every year 1000's of people set out to do a thru hike. By that, they planned, set aside 6 months (or more), saved/budgeted, arranged travel, studied up, set up supports, purchased equipment, perhaps conditioned for it...

But then, a certain number of those people leave after a seemingly very short amount of time on the trail.

Considering they factored for 6 months even if they had an understandable false start they could take few days/weeks to regroup and come back to the trail. They could do a ton of short days and build up, stay in towns longer in the beginning until they adjust to trail life.

But they leave the trail for good.

What happened? What was different from the person with the 6 month thru hike dream to the person who decided a few day/weeks they had enough?

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++