WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

My pack, for those who asked, weighs in at just under 20 lbs before food/water.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

I just got back from a 3 day shakedown hike from Watagua Lake to Elk Park, NC (19E). Pack was 16.5 lbs base weight and 21 lbs with food but no water.

I'm ditching the hammock and going back to my Zpacks Duplex tent. Umbrella worked great in light rain but not in heavy rain, wind, and rhodo tunnels. Also had to dance around oncoming hikers when passing on a narrow trail. I'm ditching it too as I can't justify the 8 oz for something with that I will only occasionally use. These changes will reduce my base weight by two pounds and get my base weight under 15 pounds.

Saw about 50-60 NOBOs over the 3 days and this doesn't count any NOBOs that were sitting out the heavy rain on Tuesday at Kincora or Black Bear hostels at Dennis Cove.

I'm ready for my April 19 start date.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Journal Entries

hey rockdr, im headed out for the may 2nd flip/flop. also retired state employee...... hope to see you out there....
    eveready

Steelcut, why are you ditching the hammock?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Steelcut, why are you ditching the hammock?
    In the end, I just don't find them comfortable as most other hammock proponents. I sleep on my side and stomach and I have not been able to adapt well to a different position despite spending a large number of nights trying various hammock models and sleeping positions. Plus, as I found out on my shakedown hike, I find them a bit confining if you have to spend a lot of time in it due to bad weather. I also have not come up with a good system to organize gear and keep it dry and easily accessible.

So, I'd rather just go back to the system that has worked well for me in the past.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Glad you made it out safely Dave. Severe weather is one of my primary concerns on the trail. Seems you made a good decision and still learned some valuable info. See you in a couple weeks in HF.

Yea, I was waiting for someone to mention why I didn't use my emergency blanket to keep warm. The truth is that given the warm weather forecast, it never made it into my thoughts or my pack. Another lesson.

Default Special Passport Stamp for Flip-Floppers!

Jeff Taussig (owner of the Green Mountain House Hostel in Vermont) has just created a new flip-flop thru-hiker stamp for us to have at ATC Headquarters!

If you don't already know about the passport, you can learn all about it and buy it at www.atpassport.com. You can also buy it from ATC online here, or here at ATC Headquarters in Harpers Ferry.

We should have the stamp early next week!

I wonder who will be the first flip-flopper to get their passport stamped?

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Attached Images Attached Images

What type of temps are we likely to get May, June, July? I sleep really cold. A 30* quilt isn't going to work for me in the mid 30*. I also want to be comfortable evenings and mornings around camp. I'll carry a few lbs. of puffy jacket, warmer quilt, and such. Right DangerDave. Here in St. Louis mid 30* are possible in May. 50 on June nights. I think I've heard Maine in July can hit the 40's.

Temp in the SNP @ Big Meadows campground were in the mid-upper 30's 2 nights back. It's supposed to get down below freezing up there tonight...but warm up again on Sunday. Forecast (besides wetness ) is looking good! We are slowly (supported) working our way up the central section this week (with a day off every few days) and working out kinks (like a sore ankle that popped up on my wife), but are still on schedule to leave from Thornton Gap next Wednesday. In May, June & July? I think that until we get to The Whites, you shouldn't have to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Jeff Taussig (owner of the Green Mountain House Hostel in Vermont) has just created a new flip-flop thru-hiker stamp for us to have at ATC Headquarters!

If you don't already know about the passport, you can learn all about it and buy it at www.atpassport.com. You can also buy it from ATC online here, or here at ATC Headquarters in Harpers Ferry.

We should have the stamp early next week!

I wonder who will be the first flip-flopper to get their passport stamped?

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Cool. Can that come in a patch? Would love to have that on my pack when I finish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Thanks, Laurie. I have a Guidebook and a set of AT maps from 2012. I know there have been some minor changes on the trail. What I've been more concerned with are Post Office or Hostel closings. Can you, or anyone on the thread, provide any significant info about that?

Thank You!
    Whiteblaze has a recently updated listing of hostels:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content....alachian-Trail

Do yourself a favor and buy a 2015 Companion for $15. Don't waist a couple of hours at a PO that changed their hours of operation....or pass up a newly opened hostel that was not listed in the old books.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    And my Chrome Dome trekking umbrella is awesome!!! Do I need tot say that again. AWESOME! It was my saving grace though days of rain and storms. I will never hike without it!
    I just bought a silver Euroschirm, the Chrome Dome equivalent, and have been going back and forth about taking it along on my Damascus to Harpers Ferry section hike starting in May. I was leaning against taking it since I've always seemed to get along without it. Your comment however, is swaying me to take it along and try it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Hey Guys!! Treehugger here. I am staying at Humminbard's house for a day or two to rest up for the next leg. Beware when you go thru the area south of Waynesboro, Three Ridges and The Priest are going to kick yer collective butts. A week out and all's well kept for my knees, which I half expected to act up cuz I had to take off of so much time due to my hip injury. Now they are super stiff and a bit swollen. Probably because I did two big ass mountains back to back before I was really ready. But you can't go around them so you just go. If I were to give some advice, quit for the day before you feel it. In my case, I had no where to camp or no water or storms were coming so I pushed on each time. It's ok, still enjoying it. But man it's tough. Get the weight down to the lowest you can to start then peel more off as you learn from the trail. Hope to keep going but I guess if I need to rest I still have time. Heck, May 3 will be my back door plan! I've been extolling the virtues of flip flopping to whoever will listen out there. Lots of folks seem very intrigued by the idea. Well gotta go resupply and buy a bucket of ibuprofen. I eat it like candy. See yall soon. Later flippers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post
    Hey Guys!! Treehugger here. I am staying at Humminbard's house for a day or two to rest up for the next leg. Beware when you go thru the area south of Waynesboro, Three Ridges and The Priest are going to kick yer collective butts. A week out and all's well kept for my knees, which I half expected to act up cuz I had to take off of so much time due to my hip injury. Now they are super stiff and a bit swollen. Probably because I did two big ass mountains back to back before I was really ready. But you can't go around them so you just go. If I were to give some advice, quit for the day before you feel it. In my case, I had no where to camp or no water or storms were coming so I pushed on each time. It's ok, still enjoying it. But man it's tough. Get the weight down to the lowest you can to start then peel more off as you learn from the trail. Hope to keep going but I guess if I need to rest I still have time. Heck, May 3 will be my back door plan! I've been extolling the virtues of flip flopping to whoever will listen out there. Lots of folks seem very intrigued by the idea. Well gotta go resupply and buy a bucket of ibuprofen. I eat it like candy. See yall soon. Later flippers!!

Thanks TreeHugger! My hope is that by the time I (and the other Harper's Ferry FFR's) start the 2nd 1/2 of our journey/adventure/challenge and hit that section of trail, we will be in the best shape of our lives. At least the best shape my 64-year-old body will ever be in. All reports I've seen are that the White Mountains and the state of Maine are BY FAR the most difficult sections of the AT. Hope we are in top shape by THEN!

Dave

WoooHooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought my flip flops from the local drug store. Along with the proper blister care stuff, triple antibiotic, vasoline, Gold Bond, Leukotape.

WoooHooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought my flip flops from the local drug store. Along with the proper blister care stuff, triple antibiotic, vasoline, Gold Bond, Leukotape.
    Purple!

Well - I just loaded up my pack as if I were hitting the trail and I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that I have everything I need for this trip/hike/adventure/challenge/piece of lunacy. And it all fits with a lot of room. The bad news is that I am at 35 lbs. with 6-days of food, a full camelback, a large fuel canister and a small fuel canister spare. That weight also includes my Kindle - which I may decide to leave behind at the last minute. It's a little more than I was hoping for, but very doable.

I can tell you're excited, squeezebox.

I'm fleshing out the last of my gear, too. Got my new iPhone (6) and my new service provider (Version), today. Great deal! I arranged lawn care with a good friend. My waterproof wallet, space pen, and Rite In The Rain journals came in the mail yesterday. Time to reweigh and review my entire pack. Gettin' er done!

Time is running out! <thank goodness>

I'm contemplating leaving the Marmit precip jacket and pants at home, and going to frogg toggs 1/2 the wt. and space, wt savings 13oz, might have to carry extra duct tape .Also thinking of leaving the shorts at home. I don't need shorts and a kilt. Wt 7oz. Would like to get into my 50L pack, another 2 lb savings.
    Your opinion?

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++