WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    30 pages. Boy. We flippers are a chatty lot. Great post treehugger especially the tips about food weight. Im down to 31 pound with food and water, but I think I could do better.

I'm going to look again at my food.

Two weeks!?? Can't believe it. Knee deep in final art projects for class and doing last minute details like shorting my stuff and finding a place to park my car.

31 lbs is not bad at all. You will be lighter than most starters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    31 lbs is not bad at all. You will be lighter than most starters.
    I thought I was done going through my pack trying to reduce an ounce here and an ounce there - but here I am still going through the same stuff again. It looks like I'll be at 32-33 lbs with 6-days food, fuel, and 1 to 1/2-liters of water water out of HF. I'll probably go through my pack 100-200 more times to find a few grams here and a few grams there to get out of my pack.

BTW - I agree with Treehugger's earlier post about food. I've never hiked anything like the AT, but I've hiked the John Muir Trail 3-times (last in 2013), which is 220-miles and 3-4 weeks (depending on how fast you go). I remember not being hungry at all for over a week - and really forcing myself to eat because I needed the calories. By the time I completed the JMT, though, true hiker hunger had kicked in and I would have eaten trees if I could have. So I've pared back a bit on the food I'm bringing to HF.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill1000 View Post
    I thought I was done going through my pack trying to reduce an ounce here and an ounce there - but here I am still going through the same stuff again. It looks like I'll be at 32-33 lbs with 6-days food, fuel, and 1 to 1/2-liters of water water out of HF. I'll probably go through my pack 100-200 more times to find a few grams here and a few grams there to get out of my pack.

BTW - I agree with Treehugger's earlier post about food. I've never hiked anything like the AT, but I've hiked the John Muir Trail 3-times (last in 2013), which is 220-miles and 3-4 weeks (depending on how fast you go). I remember not being hungry at all for over a week - and really forcing myself to eat because I needed the calories. By the time I completed the JMT, though, true hiker hunger had kicked in and I would have eaten trees if I could have. So I've pared back a bit on the food I'm bringing to HF.
    You don't need 6 days of food leaving HF. You can resupply at Smithsburg, MD at 31.5 mikes or at Cascade or Waynesboro MD at 41.2 miles from HF.

Treehugger: I hope your knee is all better soon and you can get back on the trail early!

I wanted to ask, because of time and international shipping constraints, and being broke this week :P, can I get any of the ATC merchandise from HF directly? Most importantly the companion and guides...

Hey, Bsteinburg....

Where are you thinking about parking the car? I am trying to decide on parking arrangements.....

You don't need 6 days of food leaving HF. You can resupply at Smithsburg, MD at 31.5 mikes or at Cascade or Waynesboro MD at 41.2 miles from HF.
    Yeah, I was planning on first resupply at Waynesboro. I'm going to start off slow, 7-8 miles per day for a few days, and then start to pick it up - which equates to 5-6 days of food. I always start off carrying too much food!, darn it! Later in the hike 41.2 miles will be less than 3-days supply. I'll take at least one-day food out of my pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill1000 View Post
    Yeah, I was planning on first resupply at Waynesboro. I'm going to start off slow, 7-8 miles per day for a few days, and then start to pick it up - which equates to 5-6 days of food. I always start off carrying too much food!, darn it! Later in the hike 41.2 miles will be less than 3-days supply. I'll take at least one-day food out of my pack.
    Also I always eat the heaviest stuff first. It helps a little.

Mithadon, yes HF ATC has most everything. You can call and make sure its there for u to pick up. That is whede I buy my maps and books.

I've been perusing my guide (the first 100 miles or so), and Waynesboro looks like my first resupply, too. Four days of food will get me there. Ten miles a day is my normal hiking pace, for now. There should be plenty of water available, so that keeps my pack weight well under 30lbs loaded up. That's what I'm used to.

...and all was right with the world.
    Hey! Someone better call Waynesboro and tell them to stock up! We have a Bubble!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Many hikers lose their appetite the first few days on trail.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Many hikers lose their appetite the first few days on trail.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    ...my pack weight well under 30lbs loaded up. That's what I'm used to...
    Same same for me (or close). I'm at about 23 lbs loaded for Day 1 - looking for some extra grams to give away if anybody wants some ....

Aside: I just finished a 6-mile loaded walk in pouring rain. Boy do I love my trekking umbrella!

You know I'm on board with the umbrella. These things are great! I'm also carrying my rain gear, and use the first month or so to see how much I need them. I've been through a couple of thunderstorms with mine. Hail, too. During the worst winds, I kept a grip on one side (windward), and used it to screen myself from the driving rain. It work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Hey, Bsteinburg....

Where are you thinking about parking the car? I am trying to decide on parking arrangements.....
    Its a self storage place a few miles out of HF. I will need to get a ride from there.

I had six day food out of HF then switched to five after looking at the book.

Default Ride available to Harpers Ferry from DC area May 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    Its a self storage place a few miles out of HF. I will need to get a ride from there.
    It is easy to get to Harpers Ferry (and most places to the north except Maine) using transit, so unless you have no other place to store your car, I would leave it at home. The cheapest way is generally to bus to DC, then take the local MARC train (M-F) to Harpers Ferry. If you cannot arrive until Saturday, May 2, there is an Amtrak train leaving DC to Harpers Ferry at 4:05 pm (currently $13), or if you get in early Saturday, you may get someone driving to Harpers Ferry to help you out.

My daughter is officially beginning her flip-flop hike this year on Saturday, May 2 (but will be ending about 2170 miles short on this trip...), so I will be heading to Harpers Ferry in the morning if you need any help. We have room for at least 4, so feel free to PM me if needed.

I looked through the posts, and saw that not too many are camping near HF, so we may hotel May 2 (e.g., in Frederick, MD) as well.

I may do a little trail magic May 2-5, e.g., maybe a bit of food near Gathland State Park on the 3rd, and possibly something near Pen-Mar late on the 5th or early on the 6th.

Good luck to all, and hopefully I will see you on the 2nd!
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Looking at the posts about resupplying after HF got me thinking. I may just slack pack from HF until Dalgren Backpacker's Campground. That way it gets me a few more days to get my knees ready for weight bearing exercise. Besides I've already hiked that area. First resupply will probably be Smithsburg. Or maybe Cascade at Penmar. Hostel there too. No need to carry so much food weight with all of the resupply options. Short term resupply spots are usually adequate to get you 2-3 days up the road but I will probably play it by ear. We at least have to order pizza from PenMar Park!! It's tradition! Unless joshuasdad and/or Beerdid1 hooks us up with a hiker feed!!
    Also, I wanted to mention. Since it looks like I will be around I have offered my services to Laurie for setup of the FFKO, which puts me in good position to help out anyone that may need rides for whatever reason, or a bed to sleep in that weekend. Heck my backyard is giant and camping would be totally fine too. I live about 12 miles away/20 minutes or so depending on, dare I say it, commuter traffic!! Lastly, if I do end up slacking I can probably arrange to slack some gear or food for those that want it. The outfitter in HF or Purcellville by the way, are good options to switch out gear should that arise. Boonsboro is within reach of both shops and is a few days north of HF if you need that option. Not many outfitters north of HF for a long way! Anyway, definitely let me know if I can help anyone out.

Thanks, joshuasdad. I know whomever runs into you will appreciate it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I just changed out my clothing system for about the 100th time in the last 3 days. Anybody else been doing this? That's it I'm done, I'm not thinking about clothes anymore. All I have left to do is buy buy a pack of wraps/soft tortillas.

I'm pretty much set, but what keeps you switching around?

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++